Can't stay away !!!

pescadore

Elite Member
I have now on two occasions basically quit metal detecting due to Rheumatoid Arthritis pain being too bad after detecting. I took up scuba diving recently because it is much easier on the joints since in the water there is very little impact on my joints. I got certified and have been on a few dives now and I am totally in love with diving. The problem is now that winter has set in, I have to drive several hours from my house to get to a scuba location where the water is not really cold !! The last time I gave up detecting, I basically sold all my equipment except for one detector that I sold recently. I did not sell it to give up but to get a new start in this hobby with different goals. I enjoyed going on all day hunts with buddies in search of the elusive silver coin. The problem is, I just cant do that anymore without alot of pain. So here is my new approach to metal detecting. My first objective was to think back on all the machines that I have owned in the past and make a decision on a lightweight, coin machine that will suit my new style of hunting. That decision was pretty easy because my favorite coin machine of all times has been the Troy Shadow X3 that weighs in at 2.2 pounds including battery. I found one in excellent condition on another classified with the 7" and 9" coil and made a deal on it. My second objective was to decide how I am going to approach this hobby getting maximum results from minimum effort. That decision was not that easy but my decision is that I am going to set a goal of having the best clad year that I have ever had. I know this goes against everything that you silver hounds (been there and done that) think but I gotta have a goal and a motivator. My plan is to hit local playgrounds (especially ones with wood chips) and schools for short hunts after work. I have always been the guy that enjoyed a good clad hunt and never was ashamed to post up a bunch of clad and to appreciate others that did the same. So get ready guys and girls because Jan 1st of 2015 Pescadore is going "CLAD CRAZY." Now my only other decision is where to set my clad count goal. If anyone has a reasonable suggestion, I would like to hear from you. Just be considerate and realize that I will probably only hunting an hour or so at a time 2-3 times per week.
Sorry for the long post but it's been a while !!!
Pesc

I don't set goals,why bother?? I love finding clad too. I think maybe you should have bought a lightweight detector with video readout so you could see if it is a coin along with the audio?
I thought you were going to say you started underwater detecting with scuba gear.:grin:
Happy hunting!

I like your idea. Light machine, wood chip areas = kick the chips v. Digging.

Cladirrific idea! :D

Another idea is diving and detecting! Fan for targets!

So glad you aren't quitting. I appreciate your advice in the past, and really it's a hobby to me not a game to keep score. When it becomes that then IMO, one needs to reevaluate their priorities and remember it's about having fun...

Gl set the bar at 500.00

Minelab CTX Dirty30-Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe

LOL 500.00? Lets say at 3 times a week like he says, that is 156 times out = just a little over $3.20 each outing. With arthritis I don't know if he could stay out long enough for that unless he hits some of the places that 3 or 4 others hit on here!

Here is what you do. Forget a goal of how much. Start with a goal of how long you can enjoy being out without a lot of pain. See if you can build up your stamina and enjoy the hobby longer each time you feel good enough to dig a few coins.

It won't be your fault if not many coins have been lost where you are searching and you will enjoy the exercise and the fresh air.

I know every time I say that dirty word exercise, I have to wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Have a wonderful Christmas season and good luck next year!!

I love the playground totlots. :yes: found my best two rings in them. Chips are easy to kick aside and lots of targets. Silver bracelet this week. I record the lot, number of coins and total value on a calender. No real quota. It's if they are there, grab em.:D Good luck and happy hunting.
Doc

I don't set goals,why bother?? I love finding clad too. I think maybe you should have bought a lightweight detector with video readout so you could see if it is a coin along with the audio?
I thought you were going to say you started underwater detecting with scuba gear.:grin:
Happy hunting!

I have had just about every detector out there and on any non ID detector out there I might would agree with you. The X3 has a coin ID feature even though it has no screen. It has a zinc and a nickel switch that is a great feature in the hands of an experienced user. I can usually run circles around someone with an ID machine with the X3. The X3 is light and fast and with the 7" coil it's a coin magnet not to mention probably the best nickel machine I have ever used.

Well, Well, Well....Looks who's back. Good to see you around again Amigo! For anyone doubting this guys ability to cladshoot the snot out of a place, go hunt with him. I honestly think he has a way of turning one coin into two sometimes. Good to see you back active, and I know you will do all you can to reach any goal you set, I've seen you in action too many times. Looking forward to getting back out with you, and that danged Troy!

Well, Well, Well....Looks who's back. Good to see you around again Amigo! For anyone doubting this guys ability to cladshoot the snot out of a place, go hunt with him. I honestly think he has a way of turning one coin into two sometimes. Good to see you back active, and I know you will do all you can to reach any goal you set, I've seen you in action too many times. Looking forward to getting back out with you, and that danged Troy!

Had to come back to get you out of the house !!! Looking forward to hunting with you again.

I see you have the right detector although i would have went for the troy x5 as it has manual gb and light as a feather. The troy runs great even in parks as long as you know how to set it and setting the troy can be done blindfolded. This is why i love the x5 i leave all my setting the same for schools and parks, all i do is turn it on GB and off i go.The troy x5 i have now will air test a nickel at 19 inches yeas i almost feel out as my last x5 only at 14 inch on nickel.I have a troy x2 that will hit a quarter at 11-12 inch. i do not own a x3 do to its a x5 without GB.

Back
Top Bottom