AT Pro vs X-Terra 505

ISU Boomer

Elite Member
I'm asking this for a buddy of mine who wants to upgrade from his Ace 150. I only have experience with the AT Pro and I told him it should be his next purchase. I know nothing about the X-Terra 505 but he found one on craigslist and was thinking abput getting it. He asked me if it is comparable to the AT Pro so I in turn will ask you guys.

I have owned both, I feel the AT Pro is the better choice. The only real plus side to the 505 is the 1 extra frequency option, don't get me wrong the Xterras are awesome machines but the AT Pro is just a better detector the choice would be harder if you said AT Pro or the 705 then I would be more on the fence.

HH,
Rich

I have owned both, I feel the AT Pro is the better choice. The only real plus side to the 505 is the 2 extra frequency options, don't get me wrong the Xterras are awesome machines but the AT Pro is just a better detector the choice would be harder if you said AT Pro or the 705 then I would be more on the fence.

HH,
Rich
Fixed it for 'ya. The 505 has a choice of three frequencies.

ISU Boomer, just ask your friend if he wants to play in the water. If not, then the 505 is an excellent choice.

Fixed it for 'ya. The 505 has a choice of three frequencies.

ISU Boomer, just ask your friend if he wants to play in the water. If not, then the 505 is an excellent choice.

Hmmm. I can chose 4 frequencies with my AT Pro so if the 505 has 3 that means AT Pro has 1 more :D

Hmmm. I can chose 4 frequencies with my AT Pro so if the 505 has 3 that means AT Pro has 1 more :D
Since the 505 has 5 noise cancel channels (minor frequency shifts like the ATP) for each frequency, by your method of counting it has 15. :roll:

Since the 505 has 5 noise cancel channels (minor frequency shifts like the ATP) for each frequency, by your method of counting it has 15. :roll:

It's all good. I'm not too technical so I will assume whatever you are saying is true. All I know is that the pro has 4 frequencies I can chose from. Have no idea what noise cancel channels means. Anyway, I read a little online and it seems that they really are pretty comparable. I guess I would give the nod to the AT Pro from other sites I read but only cause it is water proof. I will tell my friend if he wants to buy the used 505 for $440 and save $100 or so over a new AT Pro than it should be about as good as the pro. Thanks for the replies.

At pro allllll the way..... Who needs to spend money on extra coils? I do great with my ATP in the water and out....

It's all good. I'm not too technical so I will assume whatever you are saying is true. All I know is that the pro has 4 frequencies I can chose from. Have no idea what noise cancel channels means.
Just to explain, the ATP is a 15kHz machine. The four frequencies are only small deviations from the main operating frequency. For example, your choices might be something like 14.95kHz, 15kHz, 15.05kHz & 15.10kHz. Their intended purpose is to reduce interference from other machines and/or EMI/harmonics that can wreak havoc, and aren't enough different from each other to effect any significant change in target response.

By comparison, the 505 can run 3kHz, 7.5kHz, or 18.75kHz depending on the coil selected, which has a dramatic effect on target response. It also has five minor frequency changes available for all three frequencies similar to the four that the ATP has.

At pro allllll the way..... Who needs to spend money on extra coils? I do great with my ATP in the water and out....
If you like the one size fits all kind of detector, buy an ATP. If you want to be able to tailor your setup for specific use, then the 505 is a more than competitive option on land.

Here we go again... Lmao:laughing: You can spend your extra money on multiple coils and your time fiddling with endless setups... Ill be digging the good stuff in the mean time..:laughing:.
Just to explain, the ATP is a 15kHz machine. The four frequencies are only small deviations from the main operating frequency. For example, your choices might be something like 14.95kHz, 15kHz, 15.05kHz & 15.10kHz. Their intended purpose is to reduce interference from other machines and/or EMI/harmonics that can wreak havoc, and aren't enough different from each other to effect any significant change in target response.

By comparison, the 505 can run 3kHz, 7.5kHz, or 18.75kHz depending on the coil selected, which has a dramatic effect on target response. It also has five minor frequency changes available for all three frequencies similar to the four that the ATP has.

If you like the one size fits all kind of detector, buy an ATP. If you want to be able to tailor your setup for specific use, then the 505 is a more than competitive option on land.

My ATP has paid for itself eight times in less than a year..

But I don't know the 505 so...

<*)))>{

Show me some finds with that 705 lol. You do have time to dig between the coil changes and setup right?

Just bustin ya....:laughing: No hard feelings!

I just wanted an honest comparison between the 2 since I know nothing about the 505. My friend asked if it was comparable to the at pro since that is what I have. He would rather get an at pro but found a slightly used 505 on craigslist for $440. He could save about $100 over a new at pro. I think I will tell him to hold out for an at pro. I'm sure the 505 is great too but I know that the at pro is awesome.

I just wanted an honest comparison between the 2 since I know nothing about the 505. My friend asked if it was comparable to the at pro since that is what I have. He would rather get an at pro but found a slightly used 505 on craigslist for $440. He could save about $100 over a new at pro. I think I will tell him to hold out for an at pro. I'm sure the 505 is great too but I know that the at pro is awesome.

Good choice. If he is looking to save money, he is not going to want to spend hundreds of dollars on extra coils to get some other frequency.

He should be able to find ATP's for that price used no problem. Heck there is even a dealer out there with 2 available asking $475. I'm sure one could be had for closer to $425 with a phone call.

Now personally having tried all vendors besides Garrett, I will say the Minelab X-terra was an eye opener for me. Personal preference in features, tones, and even performance. Wow, wish I hadn't waited so long. Longhair actually could be very opinionated and suggestive if he wanted to, and he doesn't. I feel he is holding most of his personal feelings back and supplying facts. Let each person decide on their own. Even if it takes that person trying tons of detectors to finally see the light(or darkside).

:D

didnt want to comment but ill put in my .02. i had a 705 and now have the at pro. mostly because i deciding to hunt water as well. i think the 705 is a better machine in general. it has nicer tones. the at pro is better in the trash imo much better. thats the 705 with the stock concentric mf and the at pro with stock 8x11 DD.

the xterra was just a hair deeper. in air test the xterra was actually way deeper. i have a test garden in the back yard. the two machines had no problems on 6-7" nickles and dimes. on a 12" quarter neither one could hit it accurately. the xterra hit -8/-6 and the at pro was 24-28" i want to dig it out and use a pro pointer to see if something else is in there but i checked pretty good with three machines before i burred them.

if you dont want to hunt water at all then id lean towards 505. if you might id go at pro.
also the 705 loved shell casings. i read all the randy horton books a few times. i tried dragging the coil towards me away from me, wiggling the coil nothing helped on shell casings in my soil.

sorry to hijack a thread but. I am currently selling an at pro (bought a month ago brand new) with the stock and 5X8 coil asking 525$ plus shipping

let me know if your interested

Tell your buddy to keep a look out on used 705's here on the forums. I usually see one or two for sale and some with more than one coil for $400-500. But I would agree if he wants to hunt in water then the AT Pro is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom