My first homestead permission!! (Family History)

thebmasur

This past weekend proved to be wonderful for metal detecting! I went to a old homestead/country store that my great great great grandfather used to own in the 1800s. Telling the current property owner about my family history, I asked if I could have permission to detect. She told me she always had said no in the past to other detectorists, but she would be fine with it because of my family history there. After a short hunt of about an hour and a half, I pulled out some pretty exciting finds!! She welcomed me even further, and assured me she wouldn't let anyone else detect it and I am welcome to come whenever I want and detect as long as I desire. I have been having some trouble finding places to detect lately so this is a huge deal for me! The property has been a farm house since 1812, along with a blacksmith, general store, carriage stop, slave refuge house, and was the home to my third great grandfather, and the birthplace of my second great grandfather. Here are my finds!!
df0d9e7f4d6ea336608e207fe567770b.png

Barclay car from the 40s-50s
b133b07f0b4f79021b8a7f4ec389cfde.png

New York State dog license tag dated 1946

77c9e4dd848453f3055328a720eaab3c.png

My second silver!! 1927 Standing liberty. Oddly enough My first silver was also a 1927 but a mercury dime
cd602a878dcb405600cbb3939e2f4928.png

Lastly my favorite find,
b27a66fcec1c6a84d7bc1250c5c77af6.png
bf96696eb5d56267977d7dacb92bc0b1.png

Brass Victorian picture button!! Was able to find it online and get a rough date of 1870-1918. Here is a picture of one all shined up.
c604a5c2c637b8d72340840e49eb36d9.jpg
my first button, and such a beauty!!

Needless to say, I am very excited to go back and detect again!! Maybe if I'm lucky I'll find something that belonged to one of my family members. Hope you all have a great week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOWSER. those are great finds and congrats on the permission. Sounds like you could spend a lifetime there digging up cool family history.

well done.

WOWSER. those are great finds and congrats on the permission. Sounds like you could spend a lifetime there digging up cool family history.

well done.

Thank you very much!! I definitely think I won't ever get tired of going there. I'm itching to go back and detect longer!!! These are probably my best finds detecting so far. I'm pretty new to it and absolutely loving it!

Congrats on the permission and some nice finds! Site sure shows lots of promise, and I'm betting you'll be posting lots more finds from there. Consider how you're going to grid hunt it and cover the area as thoroughly as possible.

If it were me, and it's not, I'd find an inexpensive thank-you gift for that owner in appreciation. Friends talk, and it just might open other doors for you.

Personally, I would lose sleep having a spot like that waiting :lol:

Congrats on the permission and some nice finds! Site sure shows lots of promise, and I'm betting you'll be posting lots more finds from there. Consider how you're going to grid hunt it and cover the area as thoroughly as possible.

If it were me, and it's not, I'd find an inexpensive thank-you gift for that owner in appreciation. Friends talk, and it just might open other doors for you.

Personally, I would lose sleep having a spot like that waiting :lol:

Some great suggestions. I didn't detect in a grid but I think I will definitely do so next time. There's a lot of area to cover don't want to miss anything. I also like the gift idea! I'm sure she would appreciate that. I am very anxious to go back!! I will definitely go back this weekend.

That sounds like a dream location! I 2nd the idea of a thank you card or similar. Which detector are you swinging BTW?

Keep us posted!

That little car came in a pack of seven,,, I had a pack of them when I was 7 years old,,, Wow that brought back memories,,, Thanks,,,, congrats on your find

That sounds like a dream location! I 2nd the idea of a thank you card or similar. Which detector are you swinging BTW?

Keep us posted!

I definitely am going to give her a thank you card and a gift. I'm going back tomorrow and over the weekend so hopefully I find some more treasure! I'm using a Garrett AT Pro. My first detector, got it about a month ago. I'm hooked on metal detecting!!

Went back yesterday, detected for a long time didn't find much. Dug this 1848 large cent that someone destroyed long ago.
6d655e2bafe6d86461e4269e1933b89f.jpg
2bbb4f3692eda9ea4cdbfde298f13a20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom