Where to sell coins?

Brizors

I feel stupid asking this although for some reason nothing came up when I searched for it.

Where is a good place to sell coins? I'm guessing eBay but I'm wondering if you guys have any other ideas?

I found a 1972 S penny today. :)

Well there are always dealers but you will get a much lower price, because they need to resell in order to turn a profit. I have had success with craigslist but you need to take proper safety precautions when doing transactions like this. I always meet in a local Police Department Parking lot. That seems to weed out any would be scammers or robbers.

But the convenience of eBay is hard to beat. Even after fees.

Well there are always dealers but you will get a much lower price, because they need to resell in order to turn a profit. I have had success with craigslist but you need to take proper safety precautions when doing transactions like this. I always meet in a local Police Department Parking lot. That seems to weed out any would be scammers or robbers.

But the convenience of eBay is hard to beat. Even after fees.

Appreciate the response! Good thinking on meeting at a police station. I never thought of that, in fact I didn't know they let you do that.

eBay is definitely awesome, I think I will try there. :)

Appreciate the response! Good thinking on meeting at a police station. I never thought of that, in fact I didn't know they let you do that.

eBay is definitely awesome, I think I will try there. :)
Meeting inside your bank with security guard there and/or security cameras is also a good place for a transaction.

Meeting inside your bank with security guard there and/or security cameras is also a good place for a transaction.

Really? Banks will let let you sell your personal possessions on their property? I can understand a police station, but a bank?

Really? Banks will let let you sell your personal possessions on their property? I can understand a police station, but a bank?

Yes! You can even take someone to the bank when buying or selling a vehicle and exchange cash. Then you can tell the cop you are nervous to walk to your car and have them walk you out:lol:

Yes! You can even take someone to the bank when buying or selling a vehicle and exchange cash. Then you can tell the cop you are nervous to walk to your car and have them walk you out:lol:

That is awesome to know!

??????

Is that what you are trying to sell? I'd give you $.01 for it but you'd have to pay for the gas to get there. :?:

It's just for future finds really. I have a feeling that this website is drastically off point on value then..?? http://cointrackers.com/coins/13668/1972-s-lincoln-penny/

Awesome, thanks!

That is awesome to know!It's just for future finds really. I have a feeling that this website is drastically off point?[/URL]

You do see that your penny is worth about $0.35. You would lose money if you bough a stamp to mail it....

I think I read it wrong, for some reason I thought it was worth a little over a dollar. I found a bunch more with older dates, what about when I collect a jar of them? Personally I had no idea even a wheat penny was worth more than a few cents, so the value cointrackers places on these penny's astonishes me. I mean, what do you guys do with them? If it's not possible to get the .30 cents out of one? Do people sell them by the jar? Or are penny's simply not worth it unless they are valued over a dollar due to postage price?

I think I read it wrong, for some reason I thought it was worth a little over a dollar. I found a bunch more with older dates, what about when I collect a jar of them? Personally I had no idea even a wheat penny was worth more than a few cents, so the value cointrackers places on these penny's astonishes me. I mean, what do you guys do with them? If it's not possible to get the .30 cents out of one? Do people sell them by the jar? Or are penny's simply not worth it unless they are valued over a dollar due to postage price?
I hoard them, I have thousands of wheats. Today, the copper value is right around 2c ea. on common wheats, and on the market copper is down, as are all commodities as you know. Last I knew, my LCS was paying $1 ea. for a roll of wheat cents. They've more value (sentimental) than that, to me.

Bad news...it's illegal to melt copper coins for their metal content. Best case is to take it to a coin shop and ask them to give you an estimate of the grade (condition) of the coin. It makes a big difference in price. You can then look up the price based on condition.

A coin is only worth what someone will pay. For example look at sold auctions on ebay - you can get a whole roll of 72-S pennies in brilliant uncircuated condition for under $3.00

Another thing to keep in mind - As a rule coin collectors (not detectorists who collect coins) don't want our dug coins unless they are ultra rare and needed for a filler in a collection.

Must of us guys who dig and collect/save the coins we dig realize that they won't be worth much value to the guys who collect and don't dig, the serious coin collectors.

Just go out, have fun, and don't worry about selling your finds, at least the coins.

I bought some of the whitmann coin collecting holder/books and I am trying to fill mercury dimes/rosies/wheaties/washington quarters/indian heads/barbers, etc with the coins I find.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Bad news...it's illegal to melt copper coins for their metal content. Best case is to take it to a coin shop and ask them to give you an estimate of the grade (condition) of the coin. It makes a big difference in price. You can then look up the price based on condition.
You are correct. There is a melt ban on US copper cents. I doubt highly that anyone here is melting them, lol -

Thanks guys, all great feedback and I appreciate it! I'm doing this for fun anyways, the fun is in the hunt.

Back
Top Bottom