Who Uses Arm Cuff??

Chrisco

Just got my Nox and went to put the arm cuff on and it isn't long enough to use or not use. I had to leave it off altogether. I never used the cuff on my Ace400 due to having to snack my arm out every time I kneel down to dig. That made me wonder who uses it and why???

They sure come in handy for Water Hunting! Mandatory to handle the additional side load you get in the water....In fact, if the armcuff breaks during a water hunt, you are shut down unless you can figure out an infield fix! an empty plastic 2liter soda bottle with both ends cut off and duct tape... Anything along these lines...even just taping your arm straight to the shaft...

I carry a spare cuff in the trunk for the AtPro along with my repair tools etc...I've never needed it, but my water baby Buddy STURRAT is a cuff breaking Son of a Gun! He's broke two so far!:laughing:

I've had 3 detectors and never use the strap on any of them. My "Popeye" forearms barely fit inside the cuff part anyway. :no:

I've run both without and with arm cuff straps.

Three things I've noted:

1) Without arm cuff strap usage, the arm cuff breaks over time on the Garrett's. I replaced two of them (one on my ace, and one on my AT Pro). I discovered that the reason the arm cuff breaks is stress placed on it when you're swinging. Basically, the physics of the swing results in your arm pressing against the inside edge of the cuff, which stresses it, and eventually causes a snap (about 800-1000 hours for me).

2) Using the arm cuff significantly increases the swing time. It may seem negligable, but the reduction of strain on your arm is real. I can go about 50% longer with the strap than without. That translates to 4.5 hours of swinging instead of 3. That's a huge amount for a simple contraption.

3) The strap actually stabilizes and makes it EASIER to retrieve your detector without using your eyes. Seriously. If you lay your detector on your hip, and slide your arm out, the detector never hits the ground. It just stays on your hip on the way down. Then when you're coming back up after the dig, you just slide your arm through the cuff strap, and the strap guides you to the grabbing point on the shaft. The strap is the lift point as you rise, too, as it carries the weight of the detector. Your arm sliding into the detector while you're rising. Without the strap, you have to grab the shaft, and get into a leverage point with your forearm (which is difficult, and results in you having to put the detector down, or deal with the up/down ineffectively). The strap actually saves me time and effort on the up/down, saving my shoulder, too. Without a strap, I found that I'd have to fully grab the detector (and the leverage point is awkward, unless you can get your arm in the cuff.

I'm a 100% of the time strap guy, now. It's much cheaper to replace a velcro strap than it is to deal with a broken arm cuff; I get to detect longer, and it's far easier to maneuver with the strap on, when you're up/downing.

I can't understand how anyone can use them. As much as I am setting down my machine, there's no way I could keep slipping in and out of the cuff.

I removed the straps from all my machines.
Fields, deep woods, etc, it's great without a strap being in the way. In the cold, there's no chance my arms plus a coat will even fit in the strap.

In the water, I have Key-Bacs on my machines and pointers so I can drop them in the water and they won't go anywhere. Works on land, too.
I would have lost countless pointers without them. Now when I realize my pointer isn't in it's holster, I know it's dragging behind me on the line. Quick tug on the line and it's back in my hand!

Last edited:
I use my arm strap, but only when getting fatigued. I can slide my cuff strap on for a while, and it gives me sort of a breather. I guess at the end of a hunt I'm 50/50 with and without.

I think I can swing a little longer with the strap. I normally don't use it. I just switch arms occasionally for a few minutes and I'm good to go. If I am hunting a spot that I'm expecting to go long periods without stopping to dig, I will use it. I'm mainly a city park clad grabber and seldom go more than a few minutes without digging.

I only have an ATPro and don’t live near huge bodies of water that I would have to use the arm cuff. So , no , I don’t use the arm cuff.

Deeper water is impossible without the strap, helps control bigger coils on land too..

<°)))>{

I use mine almost all the time. I find that it eases the stress on my hand wrist and forearm. When I do not use it I sure can tell. I love that it's adjustable for length for short people like me with short forearms.

First couple years I never used it. I started using it and realized how it reduced wrist fatigue. I just it about 99% of the time now.

I feel it allows me to hunt longer. Due to my work schedule I never get 1-2 hour hunts. When I get out it's 6-8 hours of swinging generally.

When you don't use the cuff strap, you need to tip your wrist forward to keep the cuff tucked under your forearm. With the strap not only don't need to do this but you can loosen your grip dramatically and let the muscles in the forearm control more of the swing vs your wrist.

I always use the cuff. It's not the least bit difficult to slip it on or off when you hit a target. I've got it measured out to where I can get out of it smoothly but it's still effective when swinging to cut down on arm fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom