Fenn Poem Deciphered, Maybe.....

cmaracing

Before anyone asks since you think you broke the code why don't you go and find the treasure, one simple reason I'm poor lol, realistically it would be beyond my financial ability, so lets get started.

Where the Treasure Lies
By Forrest Fenn

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk,
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

OK so now that we have the poem lets look at what it says below the home of brown, Sierra Negra (New Mexico) witch could be translated as dark mountain but if you have a Portuges or Spanish background you are referencing a native american skin color, Negra does not always mean black but can be used to describe any dark skin such as brown.

Begin it where warm waters halt (Abiquiu Lake In new Mexico)

The next is FOUND THE BLAZE, CHAMA RIVER (New Mexico), CHAMA in Portuges translate to blaze,fire and flame.

There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

This reference is that the Chama River flows down hill no paddles needed and heavy loads and water high is white water with some drop-offs.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,

The (you"ve) lol there's a V shaped bend on the CHAMA RIVER.

Attachments

• Earth 1.jpg
    Earth 1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 28,648
  • Earth 2.jpg
    Earth 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 49,990
The question is... Could an old man carry a 50 lb chest (or heavier) from his car to the place where it is buried, and walk back to his car? It has to be fairly colse to a road or parking area.

Also Sierra Negre means "Black Mountain, NOT brown. If you're looking for the color brown, there is the Cimarrons near here. Cimarron in Spanish means "Brown"

SageGrouse

Let me add this to the mix.

"Begin it where warm waters halt"—Hot water coming out of the ground, then cooling.

"And take it in the canyon down" "not far, but too far to walk"--"Take what"? Do you need to use some type of vehicle since the terrain makes walking difficult? "canyon" a deep depression.

"From there it's no place for the meek" Lions, bears-oh my.

"Put in below the home of Brown"--"Put in" reference to landing or parking area? Capital "B" in Brown, name of a person, place or animal?

"There'll be no paddle up your creek, Just heavy loads and water high"--Is the heavy load a backpack? Is the water high a lake up in the mountains, that has a stream coming down and passes where a person "put in" at., but is too small to use a canoe?

“If you've been wise and found the blaze"--He left some kind of mark to show the way or the location.

"Look quickly down, your quest to cease"--The treasure box is in open view.

"But tarry scant with marvel gaze"--Does the location have a view that makes a person what to stop and admire?

"Your effort will be worth the cold"--Some place that is fairly high and chilly all year.

"If you are brave and in the wood"--Forest where others don't venture that often.

(Mr. Fenn spent a lot of time in Yellowstone???)

hi

The question is... Could an old man carry a 50 lb chest (or heavier) from his car to the place where it is buried, and walk back to his car? It has to be fairly colse to a road or parking area.

Also Sierra Negre means "Black Mountain, NOT brown. If you're looking for the color brown, there is the Cimarrons near here. Cimarron in Spanish means "Brown"

SageGrouse

But within the Latino community Negro is a different way to describe color not the literal idea of black just different skin color.
yes there's is a road and no idea of how heavy the chest is my idea is he took a horse he was a cowboy and plenty of ranches in the area plus the view from Chama River is incredible..

Feds....lol

(Mr. Fenn spent a lot of time in Yellowstone???)

Yes but Mr.Fenn just spent a long time fighting the federal government and if you look at the area on the map towards the mountain is federal but towards the river is open plain the road is the divider I think its Fenn's way of snubbing the feds...

Whether he did it or not, I like the idea. IF you believe he did this, then I think you have to take into consideration what his jewelry store owning friend said. I don't believe Fenn canoes / rafts, and 50 lbs somewhat sucks but is still very manageable with a backpack. I believe he packed it in. Also, he said he was afraid someone would recognize his car in the parking lot where he started, so I think going outside of New Mexico is doubtful.

Did he end up leaving an additional clue that following day on the Today show? Someone said he was supposed to but I know another program that night dropped interviewing him due to his legal problems with the govt (and suspicion some of what he put in the chest was obtained illegally). Did the Today show drop him for a followup clue as well?

I agree.....

Whether he did it or not, I like the idea.
I agree, but take also into consideration, if he was pissed at the government wouldn't putting his treasure whatever it might be under the governments nose but just far enough that its not on there property.

He doesn't consider Federal land to be "government" land but owned by the people. He's far more likely to put it in a Federal forest than put it on private property.

I answered my own clue....more than 5000 ft high. Since we know it's in the Rockies, that's really a non-clue. I don't think he'll give any real new ones except those that don't help as he doesn't really want it found before he dies. The longer it goes on, the bigger his legend.

And if he never hid anything at all, what a way to go down as a legend....the treasure of Fenn.

Just take the chest and go in peace.

He doesn't consider Federal land to be "government" land but owned by the people. He's far more likely to put it in a Federal forest than put it on private property.

I answered my own clue....more than 5000 ft high. Since we know it's in the Rockies, that's really a non-clue. I don't think he'll give any real new ones except those that don't help as he doesn't really want it found before he dies. The longer it goes on, the bigger his legend.

And if he never hid anything at all, what a way to go down as a legend....the treasure of Fenn.

HI, in one part of the poem he said "Just take the chest and go in peace."
I think he does not want any one to face a long legal battle with the government you say the land is owned by the people than go dig in a national forest and then announce what you found and see how much land the people own.
There are areas in a national state parks that are even restricted, i got yield at by a forest ranger who was threatening me with jail time when I visited the Grand Canyon because I was in a restricted part of the Canyon, the funny part I was about 20 feet from the main path....

I seriously doubt it's buried. If I pick up a piece of trash (water bottle) from a National forest someone left you think I'll be arrested? Same with this chest, although I don't doubt they'd want it. :D Which is why I think even if it is out there and found people will still be hunting because the person who found it won't advertise the fact.

There's plenty of geocaches on public land, including National Forest.

There is a national forest up here and everyone goes panning in the river. No problem as long as you don't use a sluice box.

forrst fenn

I may have figured out a starting point in the Forrest Fenn saga. I can draw an X over the state of New Mexico directly from clues in the 9-clue poem. If you want to know how it's done I'll be glad to show you.

Some people have not thought of this but.. Here is my thought on it....

He states there are 9 clues in his poem.
Not in any particular order...

"If you’ve been wise and found the blaze"
(He has marked a path/route)
"Not far, but too far to walk."
(Hike, 3 miles can seem too far to walk, but not too far)
"Begin it where warm waters halt"
(Obviously You start the path where the water starts, or where there may be a drop off)
"And take it in the canyon down"
(There is only one canyon that comes to mind, and that is the Rio Grande Gorge canyon North of Santa Fe...
"Put in below the home of Brown"
(This could mean Home of the Brown Trout, which only lives in warm waters... which could explain prior clue.)
Last but not least I don't want to give the clue out (however I wont be going to hunt),but there is a trail in New Mexico in the same area that is called trail 9, and you need to hike to it, where brown trout is in a warm halted area where the water is deep/high, For the one mention the V it makes perfect sense.... If you go on google and type in NM-522, Questa, NM and use satellite there is a V!!! And that is where trail 9 area is. I maybe missing some more clues but thought I would share my interpret of it.

Here is a link where it is:
http://www.flyfishnewmexico.com/waters.html

Well, Forrest Fenn lives in Santa Fe. It's speculated that he hid it somewhere around this area. Santa Fe is 7300 feet altitude so that takes care of the 6000 feet right there.

I live in Santa Fe and if anyone wants a hunting buddy... contact me. I know the local terrain. I have a good idea of where it might be, but I don't drive.

SageGrouse

Well, Forrest Fenn lives in Santa Fe. It's speculated that he hid it somewhere around this area. Santa Fe is 7300 feet altitude so that takes care of the 6000 feet right there.

I live in Santa Fe and if anyone wants a hunting buddy... contact me. I know the local terrain. I have a good idea of where it might be, but I don't drive.

SageGrouse

I visited Santa Fe a couple of times in the 90's. I LOVED the area. I found a small park nestled between these million dollar mansions and this extremely poor neighborhood (houses with tin roofs and all). I hunted this park using my old Bounty Hunter Quick Draw but found nothing.
Today, I would give my right toe to be able to take my Deus down the Turquoise trail!

Back
Top Bottom