Distance Between Detectors?

SeaToSky69

Hello All -

This is probably a strange question, but a friend and his son would like to go detecting with me. If the three of us were all detecting at the same time, what distance apart ideally should we be? I'm guessing there would be some EMI if we were too close to each other? Yet I don't want to be so far apart that we can't be chatting since I rarely get to spend time with them. Suggestions?

Chat at breaks and on the ride to and from. Hunt when at site.
I really doubt the kid wants to be talking with adults when Treasure awaits anyway.

Depends on your detectors. As long as they aren't running on the same frequency, should not be a problem. If you have a detector that can run several different frequencies, you can change up or down if there is interference. But really, you have to be fairly close for it to be a problem. A few weeks ago I was at a club hunt when another member and I found our machines really didn't like each other. But if we stayed about 20 feet apart, no problem. But since I was using my Deus, I just switched to a different frequency and no more interference.

I've noticed interference from other detectors starting at around 6 to 8 feet or less. I suppose it could be worse with some detectors. A frequency change is supposed to reduce or eliminate crosstalk.
Here's a tip: Plant some quarters for them to find. Once they get onto those, they'll be too busy treasure hunting, to carry on a conversation.

Thanks for the speedy replies! I will see how it goes and yeah, try to distract the kid with buried shiny things ... zincolns most likely! :laughing:

Good question. And be aware that if 2 machines are cross-talking: That simply because you make enough distance that the cross-talk stops, That there is STILL more distance to go, before all interference (loss of depth) stops.

In other words, they are still cross-talking, but it's below audible range. So your performance (depth) can be compromised, till you've walked more further beyond audible cross-talk range.

I experienced this first hand, when I noticed that deep whispers (ie. : iffy targets) "cleaned up" and became more pronounced, once my buddy shuts off his machine. EVEN though we'd been careful to move out of the audible cross-talk range.

Good question. And be aware that if 2 machines are cross-talking: That simply because you make enough distance that the cross-talk stops, That there is STILL more distance to go, before all interference (loss of depth) stops.

In other words, they are still cross-talking, but it's below audible range. So your performance (depth) can be compromised, till you've walked more further beyond audible cross-talk range.

I experienced this first hand, when I noticed that deep whispers (ie. : iffy targets) "cleaned up" and became more pronounced, once my buddy shuts off his machine. EVEN though we'd been careful to move out of the audible cross-talk range.

Never thought of that. Good to know. Thanks Tom.

I can hunt directly next to my dad without interference. I'm using a CTX and dad a Minelab explorer.

However, our gold detectors don't like each other. Usually we have to stay at least 15m (50ft) apart so they run quietly.

I have the eTrac, my wife has the Fisher F5. As long as we stay at least 30' apart I have never had issues with crosstalk.

Great Info!

We may want to make this a ‘sticky’ in the “All About Detectors” thread.
This is really good info to know about if your going out hunting with friends.

I just read Dankowskis dime test at emi places ,interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom