Do you guys make money from metal detecting?

When I started metal detecting I borrowed my wife's bounty hunter lV, a unit which could be had for under $80.00 at the time. Now if I still had found everything that I have found to this day, with the bounty hunter 4 and had not purchased about 7 or 8 other mahcines, I would be way ahead as far as profit goes. However after spending at least 3 thousand dollars on other machines and accessories I would have to say that I am still looking at a fairly healthy deficit and... "loving it" as Don Adams used to say on Get Smart.

HDD

Digging since 1977

I have never sold anything I have found. I mainly hunt for any items over 100 years old, silver or gold. I still get excited finding even a wheat cent though. I hunt for fun plane and simple. I hunt 2 times per week. Its the thrill of the hunt for me not knowing what I will find next. The only ones who make real money for the most part are beach hunters in southern Cal, Florida etc. I hope you just enjoy the hunt :)
Gary from Oregon.

Probably break even...Although the big money isnt in the metal finds per se, its being out hunting and looking for other things of value...Like a vulture, you go out with your rig, pop some totter clad, running the route... keeping your eyes open for other things of value...Here, empty cans are a dime each, so grab them all...abandoned towels/clothing/shoes? Yeah!

I found this Leather chair once, sitting alongside the curb on garbage day...I stuffed it in the trunk...the base was a little wobbly but I fixed it in about 5 minutes...retail was $1100....eyeballing for cash constantly...Got myself a nice fresh dead Turkey this year even...took it home and ate it..I bet I get $5 for the wings laid out and dried...so yeah...a guy has to just go out and hunt for anything of value...not just coins and jewelry...then it sort of breaks even...

Attachments

• brad young-1.jpg
    brad young-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 446
  • cans 62213.jpg
    cans 62213.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 448
  • may 23-15-1.jpg
    may 23-15-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 446
  • turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 446
  • turkey1.jpg
    turkey1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 453
  • turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 446
  • turkey5.jpg
    turkey5.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 440
I do make money from the hobby. Sales, promoting, advertising, writing, consulting, etc. Haven't bought equipment since 2010...werks for me!

Yes my machines have paid for themselves in finds that Ive sold.

But...detecting isn't about money.... the thrill is in the hunt:cool:

Probably break even...Although the big money isnt in the metal finds per se, its being out hunting and looking for other things of value...Like a vulture, you go out with your rig, pop some totter clad, running the route... keeping your eyes open for other things of value...Here, empty cans are a dime each, so grab them all...abandoned towels/clothing/shoes? Yeah!

I found this Leather chair once, sitting alongside the curb on garbage day...I stuffed it in the trunk...the base was a little wobbly but I fixed it in about 5 minutes...retail was $1100....eyeballing for cash constantly...Got myself a nice fresh dead Turkey this year even...took it home and ate it..I bet I get $5 for the wings laid out and dried...so yeah...a guy has to just go out and hunt for anything of value...not just coins and jewelry...then it sort of breaks even...

Mud-puppy, I can just imagine you lurking near a deer crossing sign with a souped-up pickup truck with a big brush guard, just waiting for some nice venison to walk onto your path. :lol:

serveimage

Back
Top Bottom