Read a thread about the racer 2, owners ditching them

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I have one,and if I decide to sell it ,it won't be for bad performance.Just like the f75,t2,even the deus,this baby hits hard on coins.
These hyper sensitive machines read a lot in the ground,every mineral and every piece of non ferrous metal.And I dug a lot of junk targets with the racer 2 in the last few days,getting usto it.
But I didn't need to dig them,not as a coin hunter..Like the fisher,deus and Teknetics,,when this racer 2 hits a coin there's no question.Solid hit,in the midst of junk and iron it's just solid sound.
If you own one of these machines you know that sound.If your a coin shooter and you dig something that sounds like it could be a coin,it's probably junk.Theres no question when I hit a coin,in your face for sure.Any other sound is always junk.
One of the best hear it all,,but cherry pick machines for modern trash I've used in awhile.I had the oor coil and the stock coil out,I prefer the stock.Just seems to separate in modern trash as good as the oor coil but much better coverage.I like it,had one awhile back but never gave it a chance,but it's definitely a good machine.
I've been seeing a lot of machines going for next to nothing,and that's a shame.Been guilty myself of ditching a good machine for greener pastures only to find out it's basically no better than the one I sold to get it.I thought about getting a AT max as a replacement for the racer 2...Nah,I can't see it doing anything the racer 2 don't.Ive decided to be a little more picky lately,and I think the racer 2 might have a home for awhile with me.

Yea, I don't see why anyone would ditch one either. Great tones and performance. Plus and you can move the tone break up to your desired point when hunting in two tone. Thats one thing I wish the MXT had.

I absolutely love my racer and I am wanting a racer 2 but right now I am not finding a easy solution towards one so I am easily drifting towards deciding to wait for the new Aka Ink (intronik) It is going to be the real "game changer":D

45 minute hunt tonight,that's what the racer 2 got.Id say that's a better than average good to bad finds ratio.And I passed over so many penny signals,just too much.Sure don't have any problems getting coins with this machine.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 324
Very good detector.

If folks see a cheap one used up for sale and you hunt old house lots. Etc
And the smaller coil is part of package,,,could be a worthy purchase for your needs.

Thanks for sharing Woodbutcher.

My hunting partner does well with a Racer II for ghost-townsy relicky sites. Not sure how well it would do for turf/coins (where a little cherry picking is often-in-order).

Well I'm one of the ones who has ditched his Racer 2. Great machine but I needed the cash. The cash allowed me to purchase a Nokta Impact last week. I'm hoping the Impact will do everything my Racer 2 did plus some...

I LOVED my Racer 2!!!

Like sataro, I traded it in for a Nokta Impact.

Loved my Racer 2. Like my E-Trac better.

I think technology is getting to that point where the old beep-N-dig concept is becoming obsolete. Yes a lot of old timers will continue to beat that "if you don't dig it all you're missing" and such, but I find this newer technology does a very good job of cherry picking, and you get more return for your time. I've known it for some time now and others are starting to find the same thing.

I think technology is getting to that point where the old beep-N-dig concept is becoming obsolete. Yes a lot of old timers will continue to beat that "if you don't dig it all you're missing" and such, but I find this newer technology does a very good job of cherry picking, and you get more return for your time. I've known it for some time now and others are starting to find the same thing.

More "return for your time". You must be my long lost brother,we think much alike. I too believe heavily in new tech and superb ID ability. After I've "cherry picked" a place thoroughly there ain't no more pickin' to do. If I get a hair up there and start to dig stuff I know I shouldn't in hopes that the "dig it all" mentality might pay off,the only cherries I find are those ones someone already ate 2 days ago...

The "Impact" is a top line want but I am still adding up to get the two newest machines for my style, Gotta have submersible PI and VLF machines and there are SO many ways to go, I'm Not in a Hurry. The ground is already freezing here.

Last edited:

This is it for sure with me as well. I like to call it hunting efficiently. Anything I can do to bring up my good find to dig ratio I will. For me it just makes detecting a lot more fun. Do I miss things from time to time? Sure, but I usually have some neat finds at the end of the day and not a overwhelming amount of trash.

The reality is that deep targets that are in proximity to iron are going to produce iffy signals. It doesn't matter if you are using a 3030 or a Racer 2. If you are going to cherry pick the obvious coin signals, you are going to miss the deeper, masked stuff. As it is, deeper coins tend to signal as iron as depth increases. Add actual proximity iron, and the signal gets a lot iffier.

I agree to a point BCK but while new technology hasn't done a lot in giving more depth in the last 20 years, accurate target ID'ing has advanced by leaps and bounds. I have a lot of faith in my detector and my ability to hear and SEE the difference between good and bad even at the very extremes of my detectors depth ability.

Hell you can miss the SHALLOW masked items let alone deep ones, but that goes without saying.

The reality is there are machines that are better for cherry picking that can increase you good finds ratio. There are methods for doing that too like described above when used in conjunction with knowing how to operate your machine help produce the results you are looking for. The people doing this correctly aren't having issues finding good deep targets.

Then comes the fact a lot of us have a couple different machines with different jobs to compliment each other in areas. I might work my CTX on a sight over and over again until the finds start to dry up then switch to the deus to get the stuff that needs a different machine.

Then comes the fact a lot of us have a couple different machines with different jobs to compliment each other in areas. I might work my CTX on a sight over and over again until the finds start to dry up then switch to the deus to get the stuff that needs a different machine.

Well that never seems to work for me. I go over a spot with the E-Trac until it says its dry then have taken the Deus, AT Pro, Racer 2 and dug nothing but trash. And I mean nothing but trash. That's why I say I feel pretty confident in my cherry picking at this point.

Back
Top Bottom