First Plug of the Day

Troller

I went out to one of the many parks in my area the other day with no great expectations other than a beautiful fall day and some exercise. I got one of those signals on my Ace 350 that was screaming "Dig Me". I was really surprised when I dug my first plug of the day and this large man's silver ring rolled out. It's marked "Mexico" and "925" and weighs 10 grams. Better yet, it fits! I know I had a big smile on my face as I moved on . Sure had me thinking "it's gonna be a good day, Tater". Not 20 minutes later at the base of a large tree I dug up a 1927P Merc. That is only the second silver coin for me since June when I was dumb-lucky enough to find a 1942 Merc. on only my 3rd time out detecting. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever find another. Anyway, that was my first 2 silver day and I thought I'd share. The other ring with the red, I found in June. It looked like it was in the ground for a while and in a park we used to hang out in during the early 70's. I'm thinking "old Hippie ring". Lol Cleaned up nice.
Just curious. I like to clean up some of the silver rings I find. It doesn't take long to buff and polish them to a not perfect but wearable condition. I kinda think that if the melt value is, let's say $5.00 and I show it to a friend and they say, "that's nice, I'll give you 10 bucks for it", I'm ahead of the game and a friend got a nice ring for a bargain price. Anyone else do that?
Anyway, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• PA100471.jpg
    PA100471.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 737
I agree, I found a few silver rings and just don't think I could scrap them, unless they were in really bad shape.

congrats on finding one that fits!!!! I am still trying to do that (size 14)

I agree, I found a few silver rings and just don't think I could scrap them, unless they were in really bad shape.

congrats on finding one that fits!!!! I am still trying to do that (size 14)

I haven't found one that I can wear either. I found a nice silver spinner that is 13 1/2....My ring finger is a 15.

I really like that ruby red ring....that's very unique. congrats on all those cool finds.

HDD

I dig that red ring!

I don't have enough good rings under my belt, but that's what I'd do: Clean them up, polish them, and sell them at greater than scrap (or wear them).

Congrats on some great finds!

Red ring

That red ring is the first silver ring I ever found, but what I think is neater is that I went to that park purposely to see if I could find "artifacts" from our old hippie days. You know, peace rings and the like. I did find every pulltab and bottle cap from every beer I ever opened in that park. Karma I guess. Lol Anyway, I think that ring is from those days and I have 4 or 5 female friends wanting to buy it from me. Problem is it's my first silver ring (sentimental?) and I really like it.

CONGRATS! All great finds, it was really great to hear that the "ace350" scored again. It's really a great detector that I feel gets under rated. Can't wait to see what you score next. GL

Thanks everyone

One of the best things about this forum is that in the excitement of a good find, I have a place to share that moment with people that are "honestly" interested and know how rare some of these finds are. Always nice to hear comments and encouragement from people that truly understand. I bought the Ace 350 in May thinking it was a quality machine that would give me a good understanding of the hobby and whether or not I really liked metal detecting. It has not disappointed me. Well worth the money. I am, however, starting to think that there are machines available that can give me more information about the target than the Ace is capable of. Oh boy, here we go, upgrade time. Yep, I'm hooked! Lol

Nice finds. The first ring I found was an old sterling 4-H ring with the adjustable band. My 12 year old at the time snatched it up, took to cleaning it up nice with some toothpaste and has been wearing it for over a year now. Thought for sure it would of been lost in under a week but he's been taking really good care of it so more power to him. Worth more for him to have a conversation piece then the few bucks I may get having it melted.

I have yet to find a nice ring that fits me , but my wife is amassing quit a collection The latest being a real nice Gold wedding band , She thinks its a little creepy to were someone else es ring but its just to nice to scrap

I have found about 3 dozen rings so far. Six are gold, nine are silver and the rest are junk. But I will probably never sell any of them, including the trash as each is precious to me as a token of hard work, dedication and perseverance with a little luck thrown in. I like to occasionally bring them out and look at them and remember what it was like to find them. It's magic.

But I have found a couple that the wife or I can and do wear. My wife has claimed a silver and turquoise that she likes but her favorite is a silver and amethyst that she wears quite a bit. It has a magnificent band and a 4ct marquis cut stone with lots of flash. Both rings fit her perfectly. Both were beach finds.

And I also found one at the beach that I never take off. It is almost a perfect match to my wedding band and I wear it on my right hand. It also was a perfect fit but I found it when I was recovering from pneumonia and I was slowly getting back into hunting. I had made a couple of very short hunts with long rest periods in between. I thought I had enough strength to make one last effort but soon realized I was at the limits of my strength. I was turning around to go back and got a very faint signal. I knew it had to be a pop top but decided to recover it anyways. About eight scoops at the waters edge yielded nothing but I decided to make just one more and this came up....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 424
I know what you're saying, Chipk. So far I have 4 silver and one junk ring and you're right. They are like little trophies or reminders of a good day out. I suppose that if I ever sell one, I'd want more than melt, but I'm beginning to realize that they mean more to me than just a few bucks. Especially that red one. Then again, ask me when I have three dozen or so. Lol I know I will be wearing that silver one. It polished up real nice and is my kinda style. And honestly, I do get them out and look at them too. Very satisfying.

That red ring is very cool. Do you know what the red material is? I've only found 5 rings so far, all silver. Only still have one. First little girl or friends wife that said "I love that little ring" got it.
I don't wear a wedding band anymore. I shorted mine across a fork truck battery and the grounded frame. The ring basicaly turned into a light bulb element and dam near burned my finger off.

Back
Top Bottom