• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Returning to the Hobby (still new) - Question about Detector

nelaina

Hello all. I've been a member of the forum for several years, I was new to the hobby and purchased a Fisher F2 as my first detector, stopped for a long time (several years), but have just recently been using it almost every day in my yard and woods. I'm still very very new and still learning. That said, now I know for sure this is going to be a passion...

I feel like this machine is kind of limiting, or else it's me. It seems like everytime I go out, I get the first signal, dig the target, then after that I am chasing ghost signals for the next hour or so and it's frustrating.

I can't remember what I paid for the F2, and I know it's been discontinued. My question is, being that I am still green is it a good idea to upgrade now that I'm going out every day? I saw a package deal on Amazon for the Garrett ACE 400 Metal Detector with DD Waterproof Search Coil, Coil Cover, ClearSound Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer II Pinpointer, ACE Environmental Cover Up for control box, Adjustable Arm Strap, Batteries and a Two-Year Warranty...for about $380. Or is it better to go up to the AT Pro?

A similar package deal for the Pro is about 2x the Ace 400. I guess the question is, is the ACE 400 a detector that I will get years out of and will it help me move up the learning curve?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Nelaina first off welcome back to the hobby. I wouldn't totally discount the F2 as it really is a good machine and yes it has it's limitations. If you feel you need an upgrade, and can afford it, the AtPro would be a very good choice. I have one and it is an awesome machine finding me quite a few pieces of silver. And don't forget it is waterproof just in case you want to go into the water as well. Good luck on your quest.

I have no experience with the 400. I had a ATP for about 6 months and it is a great machine. I detect around salt water and both are the wrong machine for use at the salt beaches IMO. Consider if you will ever hunt around salt water to determine which machine t use. But I would learn a little fore about the one you have before moving up. I don't know the F2 but maybe you are running your sensitivity too high. I'm sure a F2 user will chime in with some help. Good Hunting.

welcomebackchalkboardhh.jpg

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Thank you all for the welcome back!:grin:

Hoser - I'm definitely not discounting the F2, I'm trying to learn it for sure, but it has been frustrating. I guess everyone goes through it. Thanks for your input on the AT Pro

dirtydog - It probably is just that I need to learn more about technique and keep practicing with what I have. The ground where I have been detecting is full of all kinds of stuff, mostly farm implements, iron, nails, etc., but Like I said, it seems like I go out, and the first target is so easily dug, then not much else is found despite getting signals everywhere. It could be the sensitivity for sure.

I'm not familiar with the F2 but any detector that has been stored for a while I would check closely the insulation on the coil wire for splits and cracks and also use fresh batteries.

I would practice more with the F2 before the upgrade but just my opinion.
I had a higher end detector when I bought an F2 just to take on vacations but it was so much fun to use while I learned it and it found me so much I just stuck with it for the next 3 years and it was amazing.
I learned that thing well while swinging it for way over 1000 hours, I wrote about everything I learned in several threads and posts to help the next guy out.
There are many of them listed in this thread.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=175136

Once you get the hang of the basics with this one THEN I would go after one with more features you can learn and use.

The F70 is what I moved to, it is the F2 on super steroids....and more.
I spent a lot of time and effort learning the Fisher language and F2 behavior so well I thought I would get a little head start if it all tansferred over...and it did.
It got deeper and found me targets the F2 just couldn't.
That is not as big of a deal as you might think however, for as long as I have been doing this 98% of everything I have found has been 6" or less in depth and the F2 can hit that easy.
Where upgraded models shine is not specifically depth but more adjustments can help you find more in the more challenging sites you might visit.

The F70 is no more but it has been replaced by the Ameritek Patriot...same unit but $399, hundreds of dollars cheaper.
There are the AT Pros out there too plus a bunch of other great detector upgrades at all kinds of prices.

Learn the great F2 well then move into a higher unit is my advice, you only have limited skills right now, advance your skill set some more and then it will be easier to deal with any upgrades once you get a better handle on the basics.

Last edited:
AT pro is the way to go for the money. I have has one for 6 years and has found me some good stuff.

I have the AT Pro and like it so far. I do run it in the saltwater surf too. Garrett now has the ATP Sport at a great deal. The Sport has the smaller coil.

The detector could be faulty but it really sounds more like user error. I'd suggest rereading the owners manual and practice in your yard. If you know someone that md's go with them. I don't think a new detector is the cure. Good luck

I have had both the Ace 250 and the F2. I liked the F2 a lot better than the Ace 250. I just aquired another one, the third one that I have had. I always end up selling them to help someone get started. I am going to try hanging on to this one. The F2 is a good machine and once you get used to it it will find a lot of good items for you.

I have hunted with the Ace 400 now for about a year. I thinks its a very good machine and i have found lots of clad and silver with it. While i think its a good machine, i have found it does have its limitations. One, its not waterproof. The coil is able to be submerged but the box is not. That limits you to land only. If you dont think you will be doing much water hunting, then its a non issue. Second is depth. I have found clad dimes in 10" of dry sand on the beach at lake Huron, but that is the exception and not the rule. My average depth I can locate within is 4-6" depending on the soil conditions. As far as depth is concerned, I don't think the ATP outperforms the A400 enough to justify the cost. If you are on a budget then get the A400. It will be a great detector for you when you get enough hours on it and learn its language (the A400 has a small learning curve and you will get good at it in a hurry). If a budget is not as big an issue, then skip the ATP and spend the extra money on a better machine like an NOX600 or 800. You will get more depth and better performance than with the ATP. Whatever you decide, get proficient with the machine and learn its limitations and you will have a great time enjoying the hobby.

You may be experiencing the halo effect where iron disintegrates into the soil surrounding the target and when you dig all that remains of the target is the halo of where it once was.
Another reason of not finding a target is that it may be so small (bb/buckshot) that one can lose it as they dig.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom