Chase Bank Won't Accept Coins

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I called to open a new bank account with my 100 pounds of cleaned clad. They would NOT accept coins at all if not rolled.

The world of finance has gone nuts. It's legal tender, they want new customers, and all they say is NO. I expected a fee maybe(which I'd deny anyway since Coinstar with Amazon gift card is fee-free.)

A bank not taking money in coins in unrolled form?

I've had the same bank for 20 years and have built up a relationship with them so they take my coins. They have 5-6 branches in my area and only 1 has the coin machine to take loose coins.

I have taken rolled coins into Walmart before to pay for my items. The cashier told me I would have to take them out of the roll and count it out in front of them. Even though my name and phone number was written on it. Holding up the line what a pain.

Amazing but true.

Having a machine to count your coins used to be a service a bank did for free. Now if they even have a machine (rare these days) they'll charge you to use it.

I also use Coinstar and at my grocery store you can get a store credit for your coins with 0% fee. I'm going to spend money on groceries anyway so it's a win/win.

Banks today don’t want to deal with any kind of cash, period.
May I suggest a credit union?
I cancelled all my accounts years ago, and went with credit unions.
My main branch has a nice, no-fee counter.

I have taken rolled coins into Walmart before to pay for my items. The cashier told me I would have to take them out of the roll and count it out in front of them. Even though my name and phone number was written on it. Holding up the line what a pain.
I would never advise putting my name or phone number on a coin roll, nothing is private nowadays. I’m still amazed at the amount of account numbers I’ve found on customer rolls when I was roll hunting.

Banks today don’t want to deal with any kind of cash, period.
May I suggest a credit union?
I cancelled all my accounts years ago, and went with credit unions.
My main branch has a nice, no-fee counter.

I do most of my banking at a credit union but I also have an account at a bank because they offer TOTALLY FREE checking to anyone over 50 years of age. Checks are free and no charges whatsoever. Additionally, both the credit union and the bank offer FREE use of the coin machine.

I called to open a new bank account with my 100 pounds of cleaned clad. They would NOT accept coins at all if not rolled.

The world of finance has gone nuts. It's legal tender, they want new customers, and all they say is NO. I expected a fee maybe(which I'd deny anyway since Coinstar with Amazon gift card is fee-free.)

A bank not taking money in coins in unrolled form?

Most of the banks in my area DON'T want coins rolled, because lowlifes were putting washers in the middle and coins on the outside to fool tellers. I take my containers of coins in and they either have a coin counting machine or they take 'em in the back and do it themselves.

I wanted to get change for a $20 that I had just gotten from their ATM , the young lady at the counter asked if I had an account I said no, she said sorry can't help you then. I waliked out po'd & never went back. "Sorry" is correct for that bank.

Banks in my area won't accept rolled coins. Like was said, people putting in washers, or just shorting the rolls.
And trying o spend rolls at stores, they had to open up the roll and count the coins. So I don't do that anymore, either.

.....I’m still amazed at the amount of account numbers I’ve found on customer rolls when I was roll hunting.....

Every time you write a check you're handing over your name, address, bank name, and checking account and routing numbers. Everything they'd need to print fake checks or set up ACH withdraws. It's amazing check fraud isn't more common.

Seems the responses to this thread are as varied as the banks and credit unions we use. It really does pay to shop around for financial instuitions just like anything else.

Every time you write a check you're handing over your name, address, bank name, and checking account and routing numbers. Everything they'd need to print fake checks or set up ACH withdraws. It's amazing check fraud isn't more common.

What is a check? :p:lol:

(I'm kidding, but honestly can't remember the last time a wrote out a check)

When I was a kid, I misheard the lyric of Dire Straight's -- Money is For Nothing as:

"Money is for nothing and CHECKS for free"

I wanted to get change for a $20 that I had just gotten from their ATM , the young lady at the counter asked if I had an account I said no, she said sorry can't help you then. I waliked out po'd & never went back. "Sorry" is correct for that bank.

Wait....what? How did you get the $20 from their ATM, if you didn't have an account?
My CU's machines require an account card before they'll even "talk" to you.

Oh....you got it, but had to pay a transfer fee. Their machine is on a system of different financial institutions that accept each other's cards.

Roger

Banks in my area won't accept rolled coins. Like was said, people putting in washers, or just shorting the rolls.
And trying o spend rolls at stores, they had to open up the roll and count the coins. So I don't do that anymore, either.
During my roll hunting career, I’ve found banks that won’t accept rolled or loose coin, and don’t have a counter. Banks do not want to deal with cash.

My credit union has a coin counting machine in every branch. No charge to members but a charge for non members. I have run a couple thousand dollars of clad thru the coin counter at the closest branch.

Many years ago a friend of mine got a job as manager of a small store. A short time later when getting low on change he walked down to the end of the block to a small branch bank. They wouldn't sell him change because the store wasn't a customer of the bank.

He went back to the store and put a sign on the register that they would no longer accept checks drawn on that bank. Didn't take long to get a phone call asking why they wouldn't take their checks. He told them that it was pretty simple, they wouldn't do business with him then he wouldn't do business with them....

A short time later the bank manger came into the store and apologized and said that they would gladly sell them all the change they needed. He even brought some along to get things started...

Always loved that story :)

Back
Top Bottom