Finished my hookah

Steve

Forum Supporter
Bought a floating inflatable cooler to float everything. Battery will last about 90 minutes. Only thing I don't like is the compressor is constantly pushing air through the "snorkel". There will be a constant stream of bubbles underwater. Going to have to rearrange the compressor so the fan is pointing straight up. Took it out for a spin (in my living room) for 15 minutes or so. Will give it a go in 5ft deep water in a few weeks and see how it runs in water.
If you see a way to improve it please share

Attachments

• 20170917_214941_resized_1.jpg
    20170917_214941_resized_1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 20170917_214927_resized_1.jpg
    20170917_214927_resized_1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 20170917_215007_resized_1.jpg
    20170917_215007_resized_1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 20170917_214932_resized_1.jpg
    20170917_214932_resized_1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 311
  • 20170917_214950_resized_1.jpg
    20170917_214950_resized_1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 302
Looks nice, most of the ones I see online are unreasonably priced, even the parts are expensive.
Were you able to put this together for a decent price?
This may be a winter project for me this year too.
Good luck with the first test run, look forward to seeing how she works!

Looks nice, most of the ones I see online are unreasonably priced, even the parts are expensive.
Were you able to put this together for a decent price?
This may be a winter project for me this year too.
Good luck with the first test run, look forward to seeing how she works!

$300 or so for everything. The snorkel will take some getting used to. Feels like trying to take a breath from a stream of air. Worked fine in the living room :laughing: ... next test will be in a pool

I think you have a good thing..Good Luck and Be Safe.

At one time I was thinking of getting one but we only have a few spots it could be used since the bay is so shallow. Most places here we can walk out over a hundred yards and only be chest deep.

One important piece is missing form your setup. A regulator. About $40.00
A second part missing is the air reservoir.
That being said...
Take a look at a full face mask. One should handle the pressure problem, BUT you may not be able to "stay down" as the amount of air in the mask at 4 feet in the water tends to force ones head back up to the surface. I could not stay down in a pool. But the full face mask it perfect for getting into the extra inch or two of water while wading.

Make it safe, stay safe, live longer.

Snorkel-air hose contraption

This will get you into the (Darwin Award) running for first place.

Please get yourself a hookah regulator before you kill yourself!!!!!!

YOU need a regulator AND a reserve tank with a shut off valve for the compressor when the tank gets full. THAT is why ones that are more expensive have a higher price.

Tank gets full electric compressor stops. Breathe a few breaths and the compressor starts again.

Good luck with that thing. If it was me I wouldn't try it but I am older probably.

This will get you into the (Darwin Award) running for first place.

Please get yourself a hookah regulator before you kill yourself!!!!!!

The compressor came with the piping and the snorkel as a regulator. Air is constantly being pumped through. Will need to get my hands on a regulator

if something ever happens within that battery and a cell shorts out, you're going to get an awfully nasty lung-full of sulfuric acid vapors and toxic smoke. that's before the compressor completely quits on you.

Unless you are trying to hide what you are doing, I would strongly recommend a large dive flag on top!

I think you have a good thing..Good Luck and Be Safe.

At one time I was thinking of getting one but we only have a few spots it could be used since the bay is so shallow. Most places here we can walk out over a hundred yards and only be chest deep.

Same with me. Only a couple spots all less than 6ft deep. Definitely won't be using this anywhere deeper than that. Just bought a regulator for it

if something ever happens within that battery and a cell shorts out, you're going to get an awfully nasty lung-full of sulfuric acid vapors and toxic smoke. that's before the compressor completely quits on you.

These will be short shallow dives only when the water is smooth as glass. 6ft depth is the absolute maximum. Battery is in a sealed box and will be checked and charged after every use.

These will be short shallow dives only when the water is smooth as glass. 6ft depth is the absolute maximum. Battery is in a sealed box and will be checked and charged after every use.

I hope you are 6 feet 6 inches tall:lol::laughing:

Personally i would be a bit nervous with that setup, as scuba pointed out, pretty much every hookah setup has a reservoir tank that is really necessary, when you go to suck in and find nothing the first time you will wish you had one. There must be a way to turn the little pump in to something that will kick on and off as the pressure in the reserve tank drops, like a regular compressor kicks on and off, you want the same.
Where I live alot of people use gas powered hookah setup and they have used some pretty sketchy (very sketchy) setups, i have even seen an old beer keg used as the air reservoir! At least half a dozen or so people die here every year using those setups so we know how safe they are...
Even this one, which appears pretty basic, uses a reserve that floats just off the side, looks plumbed inline with the hose: http://www.diveandfish.com.au/special/powerdive-power-snorkel.html

I'm not getting on you for your work, just trying to give you some ideas that would make that setup alot safer...

Personally i would be a bit nervous with that setup, as scuba pointed out, pretty much every hookah setup has a reservoir tank that is really necessary, when you go to suck in and find nothing the first time you will wish you had one. There must be a way to turn the little pump in to something that will kick on and off as the pressure in the reserve tank drops, like a regular compressor kicks on and off, you want the same.
Where I live alot of people use gas powered hookah setup and they have used some pretty sketchy (very sketchy) setups, i have even seen an old beer keg used as the air reservoir! At least half a dozen or so people die here every year using those setups so we know how safe they are...
Even this one, which appears pretty basic, uses a reserve that floats just off the side, looks plumbed inline with the hose: http://www.diveandfish.com.au/special/powerdive-power-snorkel.html

I'm not getting on you for your work, just trying to give you some ideas that would make that setup alot safer...

Not really my work. Just assembled the equipment. Main problem is transportation. I usually take the bus/subway for transportation. I won't be able to take a gas motor. This is for very shallow water. If there is no air it would be a case of simply standing up. I will see about a reserve tank.. but it might be hard to do. I will make sure it's safe before actually using it in the water

I agree with the others - you need a hookah regulator!

Living in Florida I've snorkeled for many years but can't scuba since I can't "pop my ears". To snorkel you need to seal your mouth around the snorkel or water will get into your mouth/lungs. Your current setup (if you didn't drown) wouldn't workout at all but I'm sure you'd figure that out the first minute under water.

I do like what you've come up with and definitely update us on your progress and test dives....

I agree with the others - you need a hookah regulator!

Living in Florida I've snorkeled for many years but can't scuba since I can't "pop my ears". To snorkel you need to seal your mouth around the snorkel or water will get into your mouth/lungs. Your current setup (if you didn't drown) wouldn't workout at all but I'm sure you'd figure that out the first minute under water.

I do like what you've come up with and definitely update us on your progress and test dives....

Bought a regulator. Used it for 15 minutes or so in the living room with the snorkel. Was working, but not very satisfied with the result. Felt like trying to breathe off a stream of air

Bought a regulator. Used it for 15 minutes or so in the living room with the snorkel. Was working, but not very satisfied with the result. Felt like trying to breathe off a stream of air

This is because your at equal pressure at all points. get in the water with it before you decide to endanger yourself. Regulators work best when slightly (even an inch or two) lower than the rest of you which I assume where you want it.

Back
Top Bottom