Discrimination vs Notch

Discrimination filters the return signal electronically so the target dosent register. Notch only silences the tone on certain items

If I'm reading you right, discrimination is an actual act where the detector doesn't search for a signal, and notch is where it searches and registers the return signal, but silences the tone?
Discrimination = it doesn't look for it
Notch = seeks the metal, but just silences the tone
I swear I'm not a dunce, but what is the difference when you're actually out there detecting? With the exception of just using a different sense to not "see" it.

New user of an F2 and what I'm sure is a question with an easy answer but hard for me to grasp just from the manual.
What is the difference between "Discrimination" and "Notch"?
I've read, and re-read, the e-manual (here it is if anyone needs it:
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/F2B REV 2 01.25.11 Reader.pdf ) but they seem, in writing, the same.

Discrimination is a type of filtering whereby all conductive readings (what some manufacturers call VDI numbers) below the set amount of discrimination are prevented from giving an audio signal. Notch discrimination is a different type of filtering whereby specific conductive readings or VDI numbers are prevented from giving an audio signal.

Rudy, I think you rung my bell finally.
So is this example correct?
Discrimination = on setting 3 level NO NUMBER below 55 will audible
Notch = 1-25: audible, 26-35 YOU'VE CHOSEN TO NOTCH OUT: no audible,
36-45: audible, 46-55 YOU'VE CHOSEN TO NOTCH OUT: no audible...etc..

Discrimination rejects items below the level chosen by the operator and accepts all others. Notch rejects particular segments chosen by the operator and accepts all others:cool:

Some very good targets will give the same or similar response, as some of the trash signals you want to block out. Unless you are very specific about the targets you are willing to dig, you run the risk of passing up some good stuff. Discrimination and notching, can work very well, if you are hunting specifically for coins. Some locations, it's best not to dig a lot of holes, and you want to make as many as you can productive.

That about sums it up. Just remember that many different kinds of targets will produce the same number so you could wind up throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I use an MXT, so it just has discrimination. Only once that I can remember, did I wish I had notch capability. I was hunting in a vacant lot in the old part of San Jose and the place was littered with these small, thin, copper washers. Thousand of them and they VDI'ed and sized just like a silver dime. :mad:

You got it.

HALLELUJAH!!
To be honest, I was wondering if I was ever going to get that right.
Like I said, I'm no dunce, but for the life of me I could not figure out what in the HAIL the difference between the two was...were??...either way, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom