• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

minelab 505

alexdom_89

Ok guys I got a minelab 505 and I'm breaking myself into it but I am looking for tips on using it. I have already downloaded and read all of randys manual. More to the point I'm hunting out a ring that's been lost for 25 years so lots of pull tabs!! And I need more help.

Get a big 18.75kHz coil, go slow, and dig everything above 0.
Most gold rings that I've found have ID'd @ 6, but one was 4 and one was 30 (and several in between), so you just never know. Many things affect ID....orientation, depth, mass, etc...

What about a dd coil, I have dug alot of pull tabs only going for deeper ones. Ill try to bring back 3 -6 and see how it goes.

A DD coil will provide better separation in heavy trash, and in hot ground it could get better depth, but it won't likely alter ID.
An 18.75kHz coil will be more accurate on low conductors like gold, in part because low conductors respond to higher frequency better, but also because the target segment bin widths are bigger for lower conductors with that frequency.
Unfortunately there is no escaping pulltabs if you're looking for gold. Gold can come in almost anywhere, as can pulltabs depending on their style and condition (ie; folded, bent, broken, etc...).

Back
Top Bottom