1965 lead quarter?

Definitely looks counterfeit to me, I have found two such coins, one is a 1877 seated quarter, pewter with a silver plating, The other is a 1898 Barber Half that is just cast pewter. It amazes us today to think that there was a profit to be made in counterfeiting coins, but there was. Counterfeit coins do have some collectors out there, just be careful with a GW quarter as they are still the current issue.

Wow love those those old counterfeits! This one is going onto my finds shelf...

Not sure why someone would forge a coin that's worth 25c. If you'd get caught trying to use it, I'd assume there'd be harsh penalties. Cool find nonetheless :yes:

Agree fully thx!

I've never seen a fake quarter from the clad era - why bother? I do own a lead shield nickel, though. I guess nickels were worth faking in the 1860s.

Man jelly of that CF shield!

Nickels were worth counterfeiting just before WW2 also:

http://www.error-ref.com/henning-counterfeit-nickel/

Many candy and soda machines could be fooled with lead coins and other slugs. But to make dies and cast a lead quarter? Very strange.

Thx Scuba!

Here's one that looks identical to yours - https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/41708-1965-us-quarter-no-copper-plain-edge-5-5

If you read some of the comments on there he took it to a coin show and found out it was a mint error. Apparently some got out that were struck using sheets of nickel for the planchets. Guy gave him 40$ for it in same condition as yours.

That’s cool info. This is 100% lead for sure. Just a weird thing!

Used to be able to buy cigarettes from a vending machine also. Cigarettes are like money. Especially back then.

That’s a great point!

Thanks everyone!

Trippy coin for sure, it is lead, I promise. Just rub it against paper... and I can bend it with my hands!

Cool coin!

Attachments

• 2C478892-47BE-464C-A64B-F422D4C8A6A2.jpg
    2C478892-47BE-464C-A64B-F422D4C8A6A2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 126
Not sure why someone would forge a coin that's worth 25c. If you'd get caught trying to use it, I'd assume there'd be harsh penalties. Cool find nonetheless :yes:
Here's why. In 1965, a quarter would buy close to a gallon of gasoline. A $10 roll of those lead quarters would have bought around $100 worth of groceries back then, if one was successful in passing them off as real.

*Skippy you out there? :lol:

Here's why. In 1965, a quarter would buy close to a gallon of gasoline. A $10 roll of those lead quarters would have bought around $100 worth of groceries back then, if one was successful in passing them off as real.

*Skippy you out there? :lol:

Oh ok, didn't know petrol was so cheap back then.

Back
Top Bottom