Coin Identification

bergie

Forum Supporter
Found this at a Civil War site today. It is pretty well toasted I think it is a coin. Thought somebody might see something on it.It's not quite as big as a large cent maybe a half cent. I do not have a half cent for a size comparison.

Attachments

• 001 (640x480).jpg
    001 (640x480).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 002 (640x480).jpg
    002 (640x480).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 380
How about a clearer pic of the top image? I think I see a shield in the middle but it is too blurry to blow up. Maybe dust it with powder too.

Cliff

Found this at a Civil War site today. It is pretty well toasted I think it is a coin. Thought somebody might see something on it.It's not quite as big as a large cent maybe a half cent. I do not have a half cent for a size comparison.

There is definitely a bust facing to the left it is clear to me...so now look at coins with busts facing left..also what is the diameter in mm.

King George II and George I face left as do the matron head and coronet large cents. There are other coins as well but this is such a classic looking KGII or LC...I dig em like this all the time. They go in my box I call the tomb of the unknown coin.

I took the top pic and did some overlays of coins in photoshop and a King George II aligns up pretty accurately but a lot of detail is gone on yours so it is close but can't say for sure.

The Large cents actually did not align up well with the hair and the nose and chin.

Also something alot of people are not aware of is that a stagering number of KGII coins are counterfeit...they counterfeited the heck out of them in the 1700's. I read the percentage estimate and don't remember it but it was like 30% or something crazy which is why KGIII did not export to the colonies prior to the revolution.

So KGII's can vary due to this...just a silly fact

Last edited:

Attachments

• 008 (640x480).jpg
    008 (640x480).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 311
  • 009 (640x480).jpg
    009 (640x480).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 320
  • 010 (640x480).jpg
    010 (640x480).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 312
About right size for an English or Irish copper penny...possible large cent too...sadly the detail is compromised along the face edges...

Last edited:
How about a clearer pic of the top image? I think I see a shield in the middle but it is too blurry to blow up. Maybe dust it with powder too.

Cliff

That is about as good as I can get on the picture with my camera.

Attachments

• 013 (640x480).jpg
    013 (640x480).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 014 (640x480).jpg
    014 (640x480).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 015 (640x480).jpg
    015 (640x480).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 012 (640x480).jpg
    012 (640x480).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 011 (640x480).jpg
    011 (640x480).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 312
There is definitely a bust facing to the left it is clear to me...so now look at coins with busts facing left..also what is the diameter in mm.

King George II and George I face left as do the matron head and coronet large cents. There are other coins as well but this is such a classic looking KGII or LC...I dig em like this all the time. They go in my box I call the tomb of the unknown coin.

I took the top pic and did some overlays of coins in photoshop and a King George II aligns up pretty accurately but a lot of detail is gone on yours so it is close but can't say for sure.

The Large cents actually did not align up well with the hair and the nose and chin.

Also something alot of people are not aware of is that a stagering number of KGII coins are counterfeit...they counterfeited the heck out of them in the 1700's. I read the percentage estimate and don't remember it but it was like 30% or something crazy which is why KGIII did not export to the colonies prior to the revolution.

So KGII's can vary due to this...just a silly fact

I could definitely see the bust facing left with my naked eye. I figured it had to be some kind of coin.26.6 mm

Here is a photoshop overlay of a large cent..1829....it is a blended pic of the LC and your coin..

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 290
I could definitely see the bust facing left with my naked eye. I figured it had to be some kind of coin.26.6 mm
Average diameter of this type of large cent was 27.5 mm so you are on...I mean it has corroded and worn so you know...what a fraction of a millimeter

Here is a photoshop overlay of a large cent..1829....it is a blended pic of the LC and your coin..

Pretty fancy there fella :) :D That's a good idea and use of technology though :yes:

Generally I try to use a strong flashlight and shine it from the side of the coin across the face, it also helps if its a little wet but if you don't want to wet your coins then ignore that second part :roll:

I've also had decent luck using the diameter measurements and googling them. You guys are on that already tho ;)

and one with the edges outlined for alignment

Thanks for the ID nice job. Here is a 1843 large cent that I have. It seem to be pretty close to the same size one side beside and one with it laying on top. A 1817 that I have quite a bit larger than it.Did not try any of the others that I have .

Attachments

• 016 (640x480).jpg
    016 (640x480).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 017 (640x480).jpg
    017 (640x480).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 303
I want to see a Largie, but it could very easily be British too.
Either way, definitely over 100 years old!

I want to see a Largie, but it could very easily be British too.
Either way, definitely over 100 years old!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, didn't realize anyone else had posted. I may never know exactly what it was. I don't have any British coins with which to compare it.

Back
Top Bottom