Photos of my AT-MAX setup: Quick release mount for night light and/or action cam

TriadHunter

Elite Member
Like some of you, I find myself night hunting on occasion or, I am having so much fun the sun ends up going down on me. While a headlamp is probably the cheapest/easiest route to take to illuminate your search area, there are also other ways to do it. In fact, with this method, you can run just a light, just a camera, or both on your detector.

I'm not big on filming my hunts as it just adds another element of complexity and 99% of the time I find anything of value, the masses don't care what I found and I don't care if they don't care. In other words, the audience is small and I am not trying to become Nugget Noggin, The Hoover Boys or Dr Tones. But it's nice to know it's possible to film if you're ever in an epic area. That being said, the purpose of this post is to add versatility to your detector. Here's what you'll need:
  • Helmet mount kit (my AT-MAX needed the curved type but the kit comes with both flat and curved) $10
  • Quick release J-clip kit $10
  • Dual mount (if you want to run two items at the same time) $2
  • Light with common action cam mount (pictured is a Knog qudos waterproof LED) $25 - $100+
  • Optional: Action cam quick-release w/dash cam mount $50 - $400+
Side note: This Knog qudos LED light is amazing. It has 6 different modes and can go to 60m under water, far exceeding the 10ft my MAX can go obviously. I can see an underwater light being very useful on a river hunt when you're in shady areas or searching in rock crevices and get a signal and stick your face under to try to find the target. There are much cheaper options out there for LED lights, but this particular light is built like a tank (I have been using it for two years now) and I highly recommend it.

For the budget-minded person, you could replicate my set-up (minus the camera) and throw a cheap waterproof LED on there for under $50 (Amazon pricing). I realize that gets you a pretty amazing headlamp these days, but keep in mind that I also use the LED light, camera and various mounts for other activities such as photography, kayaking, mountain biking, etc. So for me, it made sense to get all this gear as I can use it elsewhere via the quick release mounts. Perhaps you're in a similar situation and that's really who this post is intended for.

So anyway, here are some photos of my set-up. (In the 3rd photo the LED light is off). The nice thing is you can lay your detector down or rest it on your shovel and illuminate the hole/plug.

If any of you have night set-ups you'd like to share, feel free to add them here!

HH all!

Attachments

• IMG_20171225_173516.jpg
    IMG_20171225_173516.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20171225_173651.jpg
    IMG_20171225_173651.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20171225_173828.jpg
    IMG_20171225_173828.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20171225_173856.jpg
    IMG_20171225_173856.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20171225_173928.jpg
    IMG_20171225_173928.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20171225_174329.jpg
    IMG_20171225_174329.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20171225_174554_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171225_174554_edit.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20171225_174654.jpg
    IMG_20171225_174654.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 130
Man that is so cool! Well done on the set up! I like seeing detector videos of folks digging any normal target.. not just silvers. I watch so many of them and I haven’t seen a ton on the AT Max. I’m gonna try to get mine set up soon as well!
Happy Hunting and Have a happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like some of you, I find myself night hunting on occasion or, I am having so much fun the sun ends up going down on me. While a headlamp is probably the cheapest/easiest route to take to illuminate your search area, there are also other ways to do it. In fact, with this method, you can run just a light, just a camera, or both on your detector.

I'm not big on filming my hunts as it just adds another element of complexity and 99% of the time I find anything of value, the masses don't care what I found and I don't care if they don't care. In other words, the audience is small and I am not trying to become Nugget Noggin, The Hoover Boys or Dr Tones. But it's nice to know it's possible to film if you're ever in an epic area. That being said, the purpose of this post is to add versatility to your detector. Here's what you'll need:
  • Helmet mount kit (my AT-MAX needed the curved type but the kit comes with both flat and curved) $10
  • Quick release J-clip kit $10
  • Dual mount (if you want to run two items at the same time) $2
  • Light with common action cam mount (pictured is a Knog qudos waterproof LED) $25 - $100+
  • Optional: Action cam quick-release w/dash cam mount $50 - $400+
Side note: This Knog qudos LED light is amazing. It has 6 different modes and can go to 60m under water, far exceeding the 10ft my MAX can go obviously. I can see an underwater light being very useful on a river hunt when you're in shady areas or searching in rock crevices and get a signal and stick your face under to try to find the target. There are much cheaper options out there for LED lights, but this particular light is built like a tank (I have been using it for two years now) and I highly recommend it.

For the budget-minded person, you could replicate my set-up (minus the camera) and throw a cheap waterproof LED on there for under $50 (Amazon pricing). I realize that gets you a pretty amazing headlamp these days, but keep in mind that I also use the LED light, camera and various mounts for other activities such as photography, kayaking, mountain biking, etc. So for me, it made sense to get all this gear as I can use it elsewhere via the quick release mounts. Perhaps you're in a similar situation and that's really who this post is intended for.

So anyway, here are some photos of my set-up. (In the 3rd photo the LED light is off). The nice thing is you can lay your detector down or rest it on your shovel and illuminate the hole/plug.

If any of you have night set-ups you'd like to share, feel free to add them here!

HH all!

I keep mine on my head, it looks where I'm looking, and doesn't weigh anything on my arm. I bought a $30 "kree headlamp" from eBay. Battery will last 6-8 hours, and it's freaking DAYLIGHT in front of me. I never have to worry about "pointing" the light in the direction I want. It's just there, wherever I look. I tried equipment mounted things, years ago, and they just weren't for me.

I actually use it on half-setting, because it's too bright otherwise..> But I will occasionally bump it to full beam to see across a field, if I'm gridding and need to see a tree or marker or something 200-300 yards away. I felt like a miner when I put it on, but while it's sort of heavy in the hand, it's distributed so easily on the head, that it's really a dream to hunt with.

Skippy

I keep mine on my head, it looks where I'm looking, and doesn't weigh anything on my arm. I bought a $30 "kree headlamp" from eBay. Battery will last 6-8 hours, and it's freaking DAYLIGHT in front of me. I never have to worry about "pointing" the light in the direction I want. It's just there, wherever I look. I tried equipment mounted things, years ago, and they just weren't for me.

I actually use it on half-setting, because it's too bright otherwise..> But I will occasionally bump it to full beam to see across a field, if I'm gridding and need to see a tree or marker or something 200-300 yards away. I felt like a miner when I put it on, but while it's sort of heavy in the hand, it's distributed so easily on the head, that it's really a dream to hunt with.

Skippy

Headlamps are great and I sometimes use them. However, they can get annoying if someone is wearing a hat, headphones and glasses. A headlamp may not be the best choice for us water hunters. It all depends.

Imagine your headlamp plus the detector mount light! Who needs the sun? :lol:

Very neat setup !!!!! :thumbsup:

I've always been a "gadget" person, every time you think you've seen every gadget they come out with something new :shock:

As far as flashlights I do have a modest headlamp I bought from Walmart, it has high beam, low beam, and red beam, not super tremendously bright, but good enough for most close up work.

I've got many different flashlights, but if I need a REALLY bright light my most powerful one is a 700 lumen one that has a beam that can reach about 1,033 feet !

With having 1 1/2 acres next to woods with deer and other critters roaming thru at night I needed something extra powerful and it works great.

It is a "Coleman CT-70F 700L Tactical LED Flashlight"

https://www.coleman.com/ct-70f-flashlight/2000019795.html

You can definitely see what you're looking at with this one !

Back
Top Bottom