Curb strips

modeltguy

I am new to this forum and have seen numerous references to hunting curb strips. Are you guys doing this in residential areas? With or without permission? How about commercial areas?

In my old home town I hunted curb strips in both residential and business areas. I always tried to get permission because in my town the homeowner or business owner was responsible for maintaining the curb strip. This gave them a sense of ownership even though technically there was easements for the utilities. If I walked out of my residence and saw someone digging in front of my house on land that I was responsible for maintaining, I would probably be pretty upset unless they had asked me first. My opinion is why risk the controversy. If the house or business was abandoned, I usually helped myself and never had an issue.

There are many threads discussing this. But to save you the use of the search function, I believe it depends on each municipality and it’s bylaws, rules, regulations and stipulations. But getting permission from the homeowner is always a good thing.

I hunt curbs once in a blue moon and have been surprised.
Guess would look for the curbs near road side and in front of older buidings.

If the lawn is scruffy the better, probably a bad idea to hunt if lawn looks pristine.

Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I thought-couldn't see just walking down the street digging without incurring the wrath of the property owner. Maybe the owner would be a bit more receptive to granting permission for the strip as opposed to having a stranger wandering around the yard.

Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I thought-couldn't see just walking down the street digging without incurring the wrath of the property owner. Maybe the owner would be a bit more receptive to granting permission for the strip as opposed to having a stranger wandering around the yard.

btw do you have a Model T. A few car guys here. hh

I've been hunting curbstrips for about a year (roughly 500+ hours)and have done pretty well. I hunt the downtown areas (peopled by the "homeless") around the state, county and city buildings, bus stops, lots of apartment and grocery store frontages and grassy center medians. Big, old trees produce a lot of goodies. While i find mostly clad ($1100+ in 2017), there are a bunch of wheaties, a few silver coin, a lot of jewelry (99 rings-2017) and some great oldies, tokens and foreign coins.
I act like I'm suppose to be there. I mind my own business, am friendly to the interested, ignore the humbugs, and treat the friendly dogs like family. I've never had anyone call the police on me, had only one theft attempt, just a few confrontations with street bums, mentally ill and junkies. Watch out for the needles. Maintain an awareness of what's going on around you.
I hunt with a screwdriver and occasional dig a real hole and try to leave no mark in the grass or bare ground. Don't be timid, but know the local laws and don't trespass for even one swing of the coil and you should be OK.
Try it for a year (keep a hunt log) and let us know how you do.
Merry Christmas.

I kind of got confronted by a woman last week, she saw me near vacant lots now more of a urban forrest... I talked to her for 5 minits and she said ok but just before she hesitated like she was calling someone. I told her I googled the area and was aware she had neighbors there 20 years ago.

She thought I was homeless and to think she already had called the police about a few homeless in the Christmas season to boot, takes all kinds.
oj/bc4me

I will post a link to great friendly story in my city of a homeless man shortly.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...ng-with-help-from-nanaimo-homeless-1.23127394

We should never judge people.

Yes, Drive a 23 T roadster quite a bit and also a Model A pickup but that one isn't mine-keeping it for a friend and use it from time to time to keep it going. Model T's are the most people friendly of all the special interest cars I've ever driven. They seem to make everyone cheer up. I went to an old home recently and the lady invited me in and went on and on about the car. She had no idea who I was but I suppose she figured anyone driving a car like that could't be very dangerous!

Did a forum search, here are 2 past threads related to curb strips -......

Yes: This is a topic that comes up over and over and over again. A key word search on any md'ing forum will give you the vast array of opinions.

But I'll just make it simple: It is I .... yes I ... that own all the curb strips in the USA. As such, I authorize you to detect all of them. No... don't thank me. ... it's the least I can do for a fellow md'ing brethren like yourself. Just go at low traffic times (so as not to be a sore thumb to my tenants living there). Cover your spots so as-to leave no trace. And if anyone says anything, you're looking for the boyscout ring you lost there when you were a kid.

Any other questions ? Oh, and one final rule: You must send me 30 % of all your finds. Thankyou.

Back
Top Bottom