Old maps? I cant find them.

arkansasboy

I live in West Arkansas and I have tried looking for the older maps for my area so I can attempt overlays but I cant find anything. Most map sites dont even cover our area. Any ideas?

I've used BOTH of those links and neither cover my area.. Madison, Wi area. Milwaukee, Wi yes. Madison area NOT. Frustrating. LOL

Google maps has a time roll-back feature now (it is the clock with an arrow at the top of the screen...try it out).

Wow, I have been using historicmapworks forever and never even noticed the big box that lets you lay them over a satellite image. That is awsome. All this time I have been print screening the old maps and then pasting them onto google earth trying to line them up right to find the old school and churches that are gone now. This is so much easier. :lol:

Wow, I have been using historicmapworks forever and never even noticed the big box that lets you lay them over a satellite image. That is awsome. All this time I have been print screening the old maps and then pasting them onto google earth trying to line them up right to find the old school and churches that are gone now. This is so much easier. :lol:

I am not seeing the box that lets you overlay the maps. What am I missing??

Well, With google earth viewer my area only goes back to I think the early 90's or so. If ANYONE Can find really old aerials of the Madison, Wi area please PM me the link cause I cant find anything old on any of those sites. Nearest I have found was an old platte map that showed very little to no detail. Basically a hand drawn surveyors map with hand written notes from several surveyors, not helpful in the least to me. :)

Well, With google earth viewer my area only goes back to I think the early 90's or so. If ANYONE Can find really old aerials of the Madison, Wi area please PM me the link cause I cant find anything old on any of those sites. Nearest I have found was an old platte map that showed very little to no detail. Basically a hand drawn surveyors map with hand written notes from several surveyors, not helpful in the least to me. :)

You've been readin' my mail ;-) Seriously, I feel your pain. Here where I live in Texas, all these online maps have so far barely gone back much past the time I've lived here. You are not alone. martin

Is it possible to still use the Sanborn map site which requires a username and password?
For me Sanborn is useless. You might try here if it is plat maps with current owners, if you know the area then you know where the older houses are. Beacon Home It does not cover all areas but if it does it is a great resource, for finding current owners and what land the county or cities have obtained through delinquent taxes or whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom