Police showed up. Long island

Once I was at a sports complex and scanning a football field. Suddenly I heard someone yelling at me and there was a young cop on the sideline motioning for me to go to him.

I gathered my gear and approached him.

He told me “MY FATHER HAS ONLY FOUND PENNIES HERE. YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT OVER THERE!” and he pointed out an area a short distance away.

I didn’t tell him I had pulled a 10K ring and a .925 necklace from the field. Instead I thanked him and shook his hand and went to the recommended spot.

Found another 10K ring there too.

.... I really don't have problems with cops checking things out.

Yes. Agreed. They're just doing their job. And I wouldn't trade that job in, for my job, for all the money in the world.

And in-so-far as it concerns my hobby, sure : They might have to make a spot-decision as to whether or not this violates any laws/rules. They're "just doing their jobs"

So the further we stay away from their "jobs" (ie.: the more invisible and less demanding-of-attention) that involves: The better.

I've lost track of the # of times that it was my VEHICLE that drew attention. Not the detector, not me, not the legality or permission/location of md'ing, etc.... It is, like you say, sometimes just an out-of-place car. Parked at a school that's not in session. Or parked in the middle of nowhere on a country road, etc.... Or parked at a park that "closes at sunset", blah blah .

So I have learned to park a block or two away from where I intend to enter a site. That way, if any LEOs want to check out an "out of place car", they will not be looking at me, nor will my chosen activity be the point of scrutiny, etc..... It's kind of humorous. Because sometimes, in the distance, way far down the road or street: I see an LEO with lights spot-lighting my truck. And I know they're running my plates. Which, naturally, come back clean.

One time, as I was watching that go-down in the distance, my cell-phone started ringing. It was my answering service who was forwarding a call from the sherrif's. They patched me through. And the sheriff dispatcher was saying "are you aware that your truck is parked out on such & such road, middle of the country-side?" To which I said "yes, it's fine. I know it's there. There's no problems". Then ... in the distance, I see the lights go off, and the sheriff drive away :)

Really super important! .....Nowadays the technology allows LEOS to immediately know everything about you based upon your vehicle, and they can find you based upon your cell phone...So they know Who you are and Where you are at any time of the day or night....They can pull into a packed parking lot and key in any outstanding open warrants...Probably know we all metal detect and are relatively harmless old guys, so we get a pass...

Why is the knowledge of this important? re Gettysburg:, ride in on a bicycle and leave the phone at the house! :laughing:

Last edited:
When the cops get dispatched to a call, like somebody saying that someone suspicious is walking around and digging up the turf, the cop has to go investigate and call back with a disposition that the dispatcher can use to close the call. I always give them their disposition right off the bat. When they ask me what I'm doing I don't make them dig for it, I start right out telling them who I am, what I'm doing, and then I tell them straight out that I have permission, whether it is actual permission or if it is implied, like somewhere I think that I don't need permission. I just tell them that I have permission to be there. Most cops are not going to follow up the permission thing unless for some reason they think that you're being evasive. They'll just take your word for it. They can see what you are doing, and they just want a disposition to call back in with enough information that the complaint gets closed. Trust me, cops are as lazy as anyone else. If you don't challenge their competitive spirit, they will nine times out of ten let you get back to what you're doing as soon as they can.

... they can find you based upon your cell phone....

Puppy-mud, you're starting to sound as bad as my wife. Very into conspiracy theories. Eg.: there are video cameras on your micro-wave oven where "they" watch you. There are 2-way cameras on your TV, where "they" watch you. She won't enable the GPS on her smart phone lest "they" be watching you.

Puppy-mud, you're starting to sound as bad as my wife. Very into conspiracy theories. Eg.: there are video cameras on your micro-wave oven where "they" watch you. There are 2-way cameras on your TV, where "they" watch you. She won't enable the GPS on her smart phone lest "they" be watching you.

You should listen to Her! Shes way smarter than you are! Just ask! You might want to put a bandaid or a smear a booger over your monitor screen camera in case you are doing something ungodly to yourself in the wee hours...:laughing:

I do know is that whoever is assigned to watch me is in for a pretty boring career.

I do know is that whoever is assigned to watch me is in for a pretty boring career.

Oh .... but certainly there's dark shadowy men, in dark rooms filled with computer monitors, wearing trench coats, smoking cigarettes, watching you and me all day long :secret:

And you're right: I tell my wife the same thing: "They're going to be pretty bored watching me". Even if "they" knew the places I detected, they'd probably think "what a looser. Out in the middle of nowhere swinging that contraption". And not be dreaming up questions of "oh me oh my, is that allowed ??". I think they have bigger fish to fry. Unless, of course, you're into conspiracy theories, then ....... fine, don't jaywalk. Lest "they see you" through your cellphone and the CCV that are positioned on every street corner these days." haha

Somebody is saying to the person in the cubicle next to them, "my guy sure drinks a lot of rum."

Really super important! .....Nowadays the technology allows LEOS to immediately know everything about you based upon your vehicle, and they can find you based upon your cell phone...So they know Who you are and Where you are at any time of the day or night....They can pull into a packed parking lot and key in any outstanding open warrants...Probably know we all metal detect and are relatively harmless old guys, so we get a pass...

Why is the knowledge of this important? re Gettysburg:, ride in on a bicycle and leave the phone at the house! :laughing:

Heck, here in Texas anyway, starting with just your license plate I can find your name, address, everyone else with a car at that address, all your neighbors names and addresses, birthdate, what you paid for your car, who you financed it with, a plat of your property, description of your house, when it was built, square feet, type of construction, current tax evaluation, criminal convictions, and more. Can't get outstanding warrants, though - not a LEO. Unless I call my friend at the sheriff's office . . . publicdata.com is pretty cool and only costs me $25 a year.

I've had the cops called several times, never had a problem with any of them. It's usually someone called and they had to check it out, no biggie.

I've had the cops called several times, never had a problem with any of them.....

Bingo. A lot of times, if/when a police shows up, they are just responding to a call from "Mr or Mrs. lookie-lou".

Example: My wife & I lived across the street from a neighborhood park. There'd been a few late night teen beer parties there in past years (and some graffiti, litter, etc...), so : Some neighbors all got together to form a "neighborhood watch". A noble concern that many many neighborhoods have. Nothing wrong with that. Ie.: watching out for each other's neighbors, keeping an eye on the parks for riff-raff, etc...

But my wife got a ... uh .... Little too vigilante -ish. She would call in suspicious vehicles. Or walk over and appraise people of the dusk-curfew, blah blah blah. Thus , yes, it's entirely possible that people like to confirm on themselves the "self-appointed monitor" of various public things. That can be good (police never argue with help from people being "seeing eyes" for them). But then sometimes people go overboard with the self-appointed duties, and start to call in silly things.

Glad that each time this happened to you, that none resulted in a problem. HOWEVER, I have seen how the opposite happens. Ie.: A cop, who perceives you might be about to leave a hole, or is trying to "please miss lookie-lou", will just make it simple and say "No" or "scram".

Some md'rs take that as "Oh no, md'ing here isn't allowed". When as you can see, it's quite possible that the cop could have CARED LESS. He was merely justifying his call-out. So that's why I do not construe every single "scram", as a "law" that must be fought or clarified. Sometimes it just means: "avoid that one lookie-lou".

The Sheriff was called on me while hunting a county park long since abandoned. Someone called him to report a 'strange' man burying a body. After his investigation, he gave me some sweet tips on some really good sites to detect around the county and who to call to get permission. Not all law enforcement encounters while detecting are this sweet but hey, I take 'em when I get 'em.

But my wife got a ... uh .... Little too vigilante -ish. sometimes people go overboard with the self-appointed duties..

As She ages, My Wife is exhibiting these strange proclivities?...Constantly on the lookout to correct a sociatal or traffic indignation? Its like some sort of Old Ladies hobby? Instead of making a quilt or scrapbooking?

"Look! that lazy Btard left his shopping cart right out there to blow into somebodies car!" "That SOB changed lanes without using his Blinker!" "That worthless check out boy put my bottle of vodka right on top of my loaf of HillBilly bread!" kind of things...

As long as her wrath is not directed at me, I sort of let it ride...But damn, if I wasnt around to temper her indignation, no telling how many innocent balz would be busted needlessly! :laughing: I better go do the dishes and check on the toilet seat position, a guy cant be to careful...

Old indignant Wimmen are dangerous! More dangerouser than sow Bears or Bengal Tigers!! Strangely, I find myself contemplating an old tune from the 70's that certainly applies...it went like this:

"Live and let live, let Nature be your Teacher, respect the life of your fellow creature...Live and let live, whatever you do, always remember....the Killer Whale Shamu"...

Its a nice peaceful tune with a different meaning...as a married guy going on 40yrs, its true warning message was not lost on me...That one Killer Whale Tilikum ripped apart how many handlers? See? In this light, What kind of threat to us is a cop?:laughing:

Last edited:
As She ages, My Wife is exhibiting these strange proclivities?...Constantly on the lookout to correct a sociatal or traffic indignation? Its like some sort of Old Ladies hobby? Instead of making a quilt or scrapbooking? ....

Ha, well our wives must belong to the same society club.

Puppy-mud, no one on this forum will ever come close to your creative writing wit :cool:

Ha, well our wives must belong to the same society club.

Puppy-mud, no one on this forum will ever come close to your creative writing wit :cool:

We would love to make the drive out to meet you and yours! Full disclosure: My Wife shoots a .38sp revolver...it would be nice if your Wife did likewise...that way, they could share on the reloads while they battle the Worlds troubles regarding shopping cart cowboys and sassy Piggley Wiggley bag boys and the like.......

This advantagious caliberic synoymn would leave me and you unencumbered to go find some gold coins!...Her Global righteous indignancy is in advanced stages..... I know my Wife will be out of .38 ammo by the time we hit Colorado....She will burn up a brick just getting through Chicago! Or at the Welcome center in South Dakota! If your Wife carries a 9mm, nows the time to let me know...She has a Birthday coming up, I travel light, dont want to overpack!...:laughing:

We would love to make the drive out to meet you and yours! ...

You are welcome to Salinas/Monterey CA area anytime. I can't guarantee you a gold coin though. I'm averaging 1 every ~2 yrs, for the past ~25 yrs. But .... I'd certainly take you to spots where the *chance* exists . Heck, I'm coming up 20 months since my last one. I'm over-due !:laughing:

What state are you in ?

What state are you in ?

I currently reside on the East coast of the Great Lake Michigan! Straight across from Milwaukee! I own my own business..painting parking lot lines for folks..we dont get much work after October...Which is good...Yeah we get called in to do a bit of the downhill Ski slope slalom demarcations on the hills around here..whole different gear though...

Attachments

• snow road.jpg
    snow road.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 142
  • sno3.jpg
    sno3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 135
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 134
.... I own my own business..painting parking lot lines......

Well I own a street sweeper business. We sometimes get calls from line striper companies, that need roads or parking lots swept prior to their painted lines. So if you ever need a street sweeper in the Great Lakes area , you are welcome to call us out. Portal to portal T&M rate, all the way from California :hi5:

Back
Top Bottom