Help with new Used sand shark

cmjordan77

I just purchased a used sand shark off eBay.
I have a tesoro cibola.
I am not sure how the sand shark should sound or how it should work properly.
In my home in pi mode it's making all sorts of racket.
It does make noises over silver, gold etc...
I put it in vf mode and adjusted the tuner on the bottom right and then switch the mode and the sounds quite down a lot except when over a target. I put the coil straight up in the air a d it seemed like it went in sleep mode until I put the coil back down to the ground.
I'm trying to figure how I need to test and make sure the water proof is set (bathtub??). I'm going to the beach in 2 weeks so I'm hoping to try it out.
I read the tesoro manual but I'm still a novice and can use some help and advice.
I'll be in charleston s.c. That's where I'm going to hunt.
Thank you for any advice.

BTW...

The *sleep mode* you're referring to may be the battery pack losing connection when held upside down. Check the contacts.
Inspect your coil for cracks or you can dunk it to see if it's water tight.
Check your control box seal for dryness and cracks. Lube up with silicone grease.
When my sand shark coil flooded with water it would sound off with every swing.
https://youtu.be/zC1dI7_Q6Bw

Thanks for the replies
I did try it on land outside my house.
But my focus with this thing is going to be water and sand.

The simple PI MD's tend to be sensitive to AC Mains and other electronic interference so get it away from these EM sources.

Bathtubs inside are NO GOOD since most are cast iron and even if plastic there are still nails, wires, pipes under and around the tub. Any of these will just swamp the detector.

Start on land to determine functionality and get familiar with its operation, etc. If it does not work correctly on dry land then it won't work on wet sand.

Once you know it actually is working properly then you can use a large plastic tub or child's wading pool to test wet operation. This would be fresh water, without ocean salts, so still not a perfect test for beach conditions but can test water proofing.

Last edited:
Lol
Thanks for the reply
I tested it outside against my tesoro cibola and it was hitting stuff deeper than it with strong signals.
I tried taking it to a creek and put it in a creek. It was making all sorts of noises.
Tried to hit a camp site at a lake but came close to getting bit by a copper head. Didn't stay but found a 1960 penny and a battery on the way out lol
2 weeks heading to the beach I'll post back

Did you buy the Sand Shark that ended last Saturday morning and was being sold by the gentleman who sold it because he's too old to detect anymore?

Use the presets. Keep all electronics such as a pocket cellphone away from it. A call coming in will make all sorts of sounds.
Sand shark is generally quiet in the water using presets.. it can get noisy in black sand.
If it is noisy turn it down a little under the preset. Might lose a little fraction depth but the smooth threshold makes up for it. Listen for the little whispers, the loud "wham wham" targets are generally shallow less dense metal

Back
Top Bottom