Upgrade You Say. Minelab Xterra 505

collegefbfan

Just browsing around. When the time comes for that next upgraded detector you guys refer to, I was looking at the Minelab Xterra 505. Not looking for top of the line, but this one does have more features than the current Garrett Ace 300.
Anyone have any news or advice on this Minelab model?

I started with a X-Terra 305 and upgraded to the 705, although I have since upgraded to the Equinox 800 I have no plans on selling my X-Terra, I like it that much. One advantage is the ability to change frequencies with different coils, there are also coils that have all 3 freq. If you target silver coins you can run in low freq., gold-high freq., and for general purpose detecting and relic hunting the mid freq. works really well. If you are in no rush to upgrade maybe keep an eye on the classifieds for a used 705, it may save you some dough in the case you like the 505 and will want to try the 705 later, I was happy with my 305 but curiosity about the 705 got the better of me and I'm glad it did, it was a worthy upgrade. The X-Terra is a great coin shooter, has very stable I.D on coins even the deeper ones, I think you will be surprised with it's performance. Good luck with any machine you decide on!

If price is the issue go with a used 705 over a new 505. I used a 705 as my primary dirt machine for years and it is a great detector, a bit frustrating at first like any other new to you detector, but well worth learning.

If price is the issue go with a used 705 over a new 505. I used a 705 as my primary dirt machine for years and it is a great detector, a bit frustrating at first like any other new to you detector, but well worth learning.

Exactly...Get a used 705,even if it’s $50 more ..you’ll be glad you did,,that’s a great machine

I used the xterra70 (the model before the 705) for quite a few years and I loved it. Very good for modern coin hunting in parks and runs quite smoothly (it struggles in wet sand though). I found quite a few good things with it too. I still have it, but haven't used it in over a year because I like my ctx ;)

Just browsing around. When the time comes for that next upgraded detector you guys refer to, I was looking at the Minelab Xterra 505. Not looking for top of the line, but this one does have more features than the current Garrett Ace 300.
Anyone have any news or advice on this Minelab model?[/QUO

I purchased my 705 back in 2009 have been using it ever since and have never felt the need to up grade to something better I was actually looking at the 505 at first but ended up purchasing the 705 in like new condition used I also purchased an AT pro new at the same time I still have the AT Pro but me and it never did click and I have always felt it is one of the most over rated machines ever produced even though I still have the AT PRO I keep it around for one reason just so I have a machine to loan friends that want to tag along while I detect

The 705 if I remember correctly has a couple of features that the 505 does not have like the prospecting mode and the auto tracking in my opinion the 705 is one of the most under rated detectors on the market and still to this day I believe it is one of the most under rated detectors ever produced If you do decide to go with the 705 give it time and learn it if you put in the time and learn every thing the 705 is capable of it will amaze you it took me almost two years to learn everything it was capable of but once the light bulb turned on it has been a love affair with the 705

like I said if you do go with the 705 give it time and learn everything it is capable of

Also there is a E BOOK called understanding your X TERRA it is choked full of all kinds of info on all the X Terra's written by Randy Horton and the best thing it is free to down load and print out download it and read it over and over

Hope all this helps

How long have you had the Ace?

What problems is it giving you?

Had it about three weeks now. Just learning it I guess. And learning in a trashy yard doesn't help. Not sure if other stuff is regular newbie error. Just the VDI numbers jump all over. Also, like if I am getting no sound from a target it should beep to, it takes a few seconds to adjust.

Had it about three weeks now. Just learning it I guess. And learning in a trashy yard doesn't help. Not sure if other stuff is regular newbie error. Just the VDI numbers jump all over. Also, like if I am getting no sound from a target it should beep to, it takes a few seconds to adjust.

Three weeks is not even enough time to give a detector a chance you have not even given it enough time to knock the new off of it, before I would upgrade I would give it at the vary least 100 to 150 hours of use and time to learn it being as new as you are to metal detecting I would give it some more time there may be settings you have set wrong in it which I can not really say is the case as I have never used one of the ace 300s but I would give it more time before spending more money on what others perceive as an up grade

Everything I have ever read about the ace 300 people seem to love them for a beginner detector

just my two cents worth but it is your money so you are the one that has to make the decision as to whether you actually need to upgrade or not

As the old koot says...it takes WAY longer to realize what’s going on and WHY. It’s something that can be helped along by advice on a forum,but the majority of the learning happens with the machine in your hand. I would run high discrimination to start with(copper and up) and back down the discrimination only after you can dig a satisfactory ratio of coins with high disc. Learning ALL of the targets at once will cause you to take up a different hobby.

The ace 300 is a good beginner detector. I recommend using it for at least 6 months and save your money to get something better than a 705 (I owned one for 2 years). Do a lot of research on what detector works best on thrashy sites and go from there. Good luck and happy hunting.

Well, thanks for all the advice. Lots of it. I won't be upgrading any time soon. Funds, bills, etc. When the time comes, I want a good detector but one won't confuse the heck out of me. No more than 500 bucks. What all you folks got?

Back
Top Bottom