Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Owl Engineering
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-05-2022, 12:17 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default OK, base paint on right side of stock and more!

First picture is the base camo paint on the right side of the stock, no grass pattern yet! Stock and receiver will get grass paint treatment tomorrow, when both sides are dry!

Also two pics of the forestock, first with masking tape on sling swivel and second with camo base coat on left side of forestock! The right side of the forestock will be base painted tomorrow also!

Enjoy! These will dry today and KT will work on this project again tomorrow!
Attached Images
   

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #22  
Old 08-05-2022, 02:20 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 8,480
Talking

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Yep, with owner id info. Hidden in plain sight! Ha ha. Its also very unlikely that anyone else could produce a matching paint since this is not a skin but a custom paint job.
Invisible ink is a good idea for other valuables too, invisible ink pens are fairly inexpensive too !

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
First picture is the base camo paint on the right side of the stock, no grass pattern yet! Stock and receiver will get grass paint treatment tomorrow, when both sides are dry!

Also two pics of the forestock, first with masking tape on sling swivel and second with camo base coat on left side of forestock! The right side of the forestock will be base painted tomorrow also!

Enjoy! These will dry today and KT will work on this project again tomorrow!
Good progress KT !!!!

Hey, maybe people who want to metal detect unnoticed by lookie-lous might consider cameo painting their detectors, if it blends in good enough with the background area from a distance it might look like they are simply doing some outdoor twisting exercises

__________________
Gary
Equinox 800, BH Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche digger, Sampson 31" Shovel
hobbies: astronomy, ham/shortwave/airband radio, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 08-05-2022, 03:43 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Invisible ink is a good idea for other valuables too, invisible ink pens are fairly inexpensive too
KT has a pack of 3 that were purchased from Amazon.com for a very nominal cost. KT likes the LW blue color, essentially invisible on matte finishes.

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #24  
Old 08-06-2022, 04:51 PM
Reelfoot Relics's Avatar
Reelfoot Relics Reelfoot Relics is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NW Tennessee
Posts: 230
Default

Hope you don't lose that in the grass you'll never find it. Unless you know someone with a metal detector.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #25  
Old 08-06-2022, 08:08 PM
itsaring!'s Avatar
itsaring! itsaring! is offline
24K Larry
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 14,874
Default

You ever try Hydro dipping? This is the more complicated process. But watch at the 3 minute mark

__________________
In the battle of Thermopylae the Persian Armies demanded that the Greeks surrender their weapons. King Leonidas responded saying "Molon Labe." Translation "Come and get it".

Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 08-07-2022, 11:20 AM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Originally Posted by itsaring! View post
You ever try Hydro dipping? This is the more complicated process. But watch at the 3 minute mark
Yep, I heard of it, but am not interested in that process, just as I am not interested in the various stock wraps now available.

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 08-08-2022, 03:56 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Covid did not keep KT totally inactive. Yesterday the right half of the forestock was painted and is presented in the picture below.

We are expecting a few days of elevated rain chances so painting stops now until the humidity drops a bit....rolling thunder to the South of the Castle presently. KT may actually paint the remaining barrels with the base camo before doing the grass pattern on all.

Enjoy this pic.
Attached Images
 

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 08-08-2022, 09:54 PM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 4,808
Smile

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Covid did not keep KT totally inactive. Yesterday the right half of the forestock was painted and is presented in the picture below.

We are expecting a few days of elevated rain chances so painting stops now until the humidity drops a bit....rolling thunder to the South of the Castle presently. KT may actually paint the remaining barrels with the base camo before doing the grass pattern on all.

Enjoy this pic.
Nice!

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2021: 61 Clad coins ($2.98) ~ 2 Wheats ~ 2 Silver Coins
Totals: 770 Clad Coins ($48.79) ~ Wheats: 5 ~ Silver Coins: 2

2 Tokens ~ 5 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 08-09-2022, 10:18 AM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
Nice!
KT thanks you, Wolf-Dog, for your comment!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 08-16-2022, 03:03 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default Since KT is over Covid, AND the weather, tho hot, is nice.....

When KT arrived back at the Castle from lunch, He decided to start back up the camo painting efforts on the Rossi Youth model 2 barrel single shot gun. So far, as shown above, KT had painted both the stock and forearm and the carry case.

Yesterday, KT masked off the 2 barrels, a .22LR and the 410 gauge. The first picture in this post shows them masked and ready to be painted. You can recognize the .22LR barrel by the end of a Q-tip sticking out the end of the barrel...of course, this is simply to prevent any overspray from getting into the barrel. The 410 was simpler to mask, but the brass bead sight was a nuisance!

Anyway, the second picture shows the base coat applied to both barrels...the same two colors used on the stock and forearm. This coating should dry fast due to the high temp and low humidity today. Nice to get the weather to cooperate! Now some viewers may note that the base coat looks semi-gloss, not flat, but that is simply due to the fact that the paint was still wet when KT took the second picture.

His Majesty figures this initial paint will be dry within 3 hours, so later this afternoon, KT will turn them over and put the base coat on the other side of each barrel. This has now been done. Then it will get to dry over night. See the 3rd picture!

My Royal Intention is to do the grass camo tomorrow on everything, basically at the same time. This will happen if the weather cooperates, which it is supposed to according to the Royal Weather Prognosticator.

Enjoy the 3 pics!
Attached Images
   

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!


Last edited by KingTotsalot; 08-16-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #31  
Old 08-16-2022, 11:12 PM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 4,808
Smile

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
When KT arrived back at the Castle from lunch, He decided to start back up the camo painting efforts on the Rossi Youth model 2 barrel single shot gun. So far, as shown above, KT had painted both the stock and forearm and the carry case.

Yesterday, KT masked off the 2 barrels, a .22LR and the 410 gauge. The first picture in this post shows them masked and ready to be painted. You can recognize the .22LR barrel by the end of a Q-tip sticking out the end of the barrel...of course, this is simply to prevent any overspray from getting into the barrel. The 410 was simpler to mask, but the brass bead sight was a nuisance!

Anyway, the second picture shows the base coat applied to both barrels...the same two colors used on the stock and forearm. This coating should dry fast due to the high temp and low humidity today. Nice to get the weather to cooperate! Now some viewers may note that the base coat looks semi-gloss, not flat, but that is simply due to the fact that the paint was still wet when KT took the second picture.

His Majesty figures this initial paint will be dry within 3 hours, so later this afternoon, KT will turn them over and put the base coat on the other side of each barrel. This has now been done. Then it will get to dry over night. See the 3rd picture!

My Royal Intention is to do the grass camo tomorrow on everything, basically at the same time. This will happen if the weather cooperates, which it is supposed to according to the Royal Weather Prognosticator.

Enjoy the 3 pics!
I like the looks of it! Looking forward to seeing it with the grass layer on.

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2021: 61 Clad coins ($2.98) ~ 2 Wheats ~ 2 Silver Coins
Totals: 770 Clad Coins ($48.79) ~ Wheats: 5 ~ Silver Coins: 2

2 Tokens ~ 5 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old 08-17-2022, 12:10 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
I like the looks of it! Looking forward to seeing it with the grass layer on.
Thanks, Wolf-Dog! KT was looking forward to doing that this morning, but alas, even His Majesty has no command over the weather....! When KT arose and went outside this morning it was not only cool but raining....He could feel the humidity in the air, so after a check with the Royal Weatherman (who changes his mind instantly), it is forecast for a few days of this, at least until Friday. So the next schedule attempt to do the grass pattern will perhaps be then!

Until then, but you and KT must have patience!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #33  
Old 08-17-2022, 07:02 PM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 21,091
Default

Great job there, coming along nicely!

__________________
E trac and an Excal II woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #34  
Old 08-17-2022, 09:54 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
Great job there, coming along nicely!
Royal thanks for your kind comments, zeemang! It will be good to let these parts get plenty of drying time before the grass pattern is painted onKT thinks He will use some matte or flat black so the grass will be khaki and army green, letting the black make shadows. There will be a new set of pictures when that is done!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #35  
Old 08-18-2022, 02:01 AM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,074
Default

So cool KT!

Ive been spending my days painting my house!

I did, awhile ago, paint some AR mags an OD color to match the furniture, took me a few tries to get the right OD color.

Maybe some day Ill pick up something to paint like youre doing!

Thanks for the posts, enjoying!

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $61.03 ($1184.31), Silver coins: 7 (57), Wheats: 17 (180), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 5 (103), Rings: 15 (261), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


  #36  
Old 08-18-2022, 04:03 AM
harleyhummer65's Avatar
harleyhummer65 harleyhummer65 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Always on the road traveling.
Posts: 195
Default

Thats Nice!
Reply With Quote


  #37  
Old 08-18-2022, 09:38 AM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
So cool KT!

Ive been spending my days painting my house!

I did, awhile ago, paint some AR mags an OD color to match the furniture, took me a few tries to get the right OD color.

Maybe some day Ill pick up something to paint like youre doing!

Thanks for the posts, enjoying!
Now that's a job, GroundSweeper! Inside, outside, or both??

Originally Posted by harleyhummer65 View post
Thats Nice!
Royal Thanks for your kind comment, harleyhummer65! KT watched about 2 dozen YouTube videos to learn how to do it, and tried several different patterns until settling on the grass pattern as His Royal Favorite. The only thing is that the painting is somewhat temperature and humidity dependent, needing reasonably low humidity and moderate temps (from 75 to 90 degrees F.) for the paint to dry properly. Because His Majesty has zero artistic talent, He loves to see the random pattern emerge! For KT, it is all technique and let the pattern appear as it will!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #38  
Old 08-18-2022, 04:07 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default right side of the stock and forestock is patterned

First picture shows the rechargeable lawn and garden snips that KT used to cut the grasses that were previously gathered and had been drying for ~ 1 week.

Building the template is pretty simple. KT brought out the longest piece, the 410 barrel, laid it on the work table, pulled off a piece of yellow Gorilla tape and when it was long enough, made a couple of tape tabs on each end, then stuck it down to the work table sticky side up. Then the fun began....KT cut loads of those grasses into about 10 inch lengths, and when He thought He had enough, began to tape them down to the sticky side of the tape. Finally had enough grass stuck down. Then His Majesty ran another piece of yellow Gorilla tape the length of the template and taped it to the sticky side of what had been made, thus making a reusable template. Picture 2 shows the finished product and the stock and forestock above the template. NOTE: the masking on the pieces will remain until all painting, including clear coat is completed and dry.

In Picture 3, if you look real close, you can see the stock and the forestock under the template. Then a light application of flat black was sprayed and finally in Picture 4, the end result after the removal of the template is displayed.

The template will be used several additional times. Presently the stock and forestock will remain undisturbed until the paint has throughly dried.

Likely it will be either this evening or tomorrow morning when KT can continue on. Several hours of paint drying is necessary before moving the pieces in preparation for the other side to be painted.

Using black as the color for the template, gives the grass pattern some depth as it looks a bit like shadows.
Attached Images
    

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #39  
Old 08-18-2022, 07:56 PM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 4,808
Smile

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
First picture shows the rechargeable lawn and garden snips that KT used to cut the grasses that were previously gathered and had been drying for ~ 1 week.

Building the template is pretty simple. KT brought out the longest piece, the 410 barrel, laid it on the work table, pulled off a piece of yellow Gorilla tape and when it was long enough, made a couple of tape tabs on each end, then stuck it down to the work table sticky side up. Then the fun began....KT cut loads of those grasses into about 10 inch lengths, and when He thought He had enough, began to tape them down to the sticky side of the tape. Finally had enough grass stuck down. Then His Majesty ran another piece of yellow Gorilla tape the length of the template and taped it to the sticky side of what had been made, thus making a reusable template. Picture 2 shows the finished product and the stock and forestock above the template. NOTE: the masking on the pieces will remain until all painting, including clear coat is completed and dry.

In Picture 3, if you look real close, you can see the stock and the forestock under the template. Then a light application of flat black was sprayed and finally in Picture 4, the end result after the removal of the template is displayed.

The template will be used several additional times. Presently the stock and forestock will remain undisturbed until the paint has throughly dried.

Likely it will be either this evening or tomorrow morning when KT can continue on. Several hours of paint drying is necessary before moving the pieces in preparation for the other side to be painted.

Using black as the color for the template, gives the grass pattern some depth as it looks a bit like shadows.
A lot of progress in this update ... nice!

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2021: 61 Clad coins ($2.98) ~ 2 Wheats ~ 2 Silver Coins
Totals: 770 Clad Coins ($48.79) ~ Wheats: 5 ~ Silver Coins: 2

2 Tokens ~ 5 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


  #40  
Old 08-18-2022, 08:19 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,674
Default

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
A lot of progress in this update ... nice!
Thanks, Wolf-Dog. See the picture below to see the other left side of the stock and forestock now patterned! The pic is a bit too yellowish over all but this half also looks like the right side (above). This will now dry overnight.
Attached Images
 

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.