AT Pro...who has put theirs under water, who has not?

remmy

Forum Supporter
I ask this for 2 reasons, the first being that each time I see the threads about it being waterproof I wonder how many folks that own a pro have ever done this. I have never actually sunk mine, it has gotten plenty wet, but never under water. This brings me to my second reason. For those who regularly do this, what do you check as far as maintenance as the machine gets older? My pro is 2 yrs old and was used pretty hard. If I decide to walk through the river in spring, should I do any checking in any particular areas for leaks?

I just wonder how many are like me and have never used their Pro in the water.

Thanks for any input!

I have not, while I thought it was an awesome idea when I got it, I have less interest in swimming with it.

Other issue I have here though, is I cannot use a detector on land controlled or managed by the WI DNR. While I see no commenters on detecting DNR water, I do know they have control of all "navigable" water......so if you can float a boat in it, the WI DNR has control of it.

I only hunted water a few times with mine, and nothing more than knee deep. I was really surprised how much the slow moving river would fight the coil. Anything more than a foot deep was too much like work. The only times it's been under water was when I'd let it float next to me while finding a target. The biggest reason I went with the ATpro was that it was waterproof. I only took it on a couple of kayak trips and haven't figured out a good way to strap it to the boat yet. After just a few trips I will never have to buy sinkers again.

Before dunking your ATPro you need to check for dry rot or cracks on your o-rings and tighten down the coil and headphone connections. Also put some sealer on your o-rings.

Mine has spent more time totally under, than above...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_4812_zps8ddbce79.jpg
    IMG_4812_zps8ddbce79.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 189
While not as successful as Ice Scratcher mine spends as much time underwater as I can manage.

I bought the waterproof headphones and a scoop. It's a lot more fun when you don't need to worry about any of your equipment.

First, I'm careful not to leave it in a hot car. I haven't heard of it happening but I'm paranoid about the plastic warping and causing a leak.

In the spring I check the o-rings for cracks, clean the channels they sit in thoroughly and put on a very light coat of dielectric grease on the o-rings and connections.

Each time before I go in the water I double check the coil and headphone connections. I'm always switching coils and headphones so those are the likely weak spots.

Each time after I'm done I clean it top to bottom taking apart the shaft, removing the coil cover and washing out that sponge of a handle. Sand and mud get into everything.

A few times during the warm months I double check and clean all the o-rings to be sure sand didn't find it's way in. In the fall I sometimes use a kayak to get to a spot so I'll check them before thet too.

I use mine a lot under water. I make sure all my connections are tight and maintained with silicon lube. I have not had any issues except this......

Attachments

• weed smaller (1).jpg
    weed smaller (1).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 170
I always wanted to try it under water, but just never had the opportunity. I'm a bit leery of doing so, so mines never been wet. I recently bought a CTX and the thought of ruining it by dunking it when considering the cost (and the threads I've viewed with water issues at the battery seal) are kinda scary. I'm curious to see the tests and results on the Equinox's water use when it gets out there for folks to test and abuse. All else considered (weight, salt water capabilities etc) it might be a great detector for shallow water use.

Light weight is great on land but not in water. I'm just hoping it's light weight goes not result in fragile Detector. Definitely looking forward to real world results and opinions.

Hey Remmy...My Pros about 5yrs old...Yes, Its underwater a good amount, and yes I take no extra precautions...When I first got it, I wiped the Oring with a fingerful of some grease I had around here for Outboard Motor rebuilding, I figured it was O ring safe, and it appears that it was....

After that and after 100s of batt changes and dunkings the thing still works just fine...even leaving it in the car year round and dunking it in the cold water temps, no trouble with water getting in the batt box...I also greased the little O's on the phone and coil connection, and have not taken them apart for several years...I might should give it a good going over this Spring just to see...

Zero problems with anything on it except for the headphones once quit, but the warrantee and Garrett covered them...

Also, its seems a LOT easier to swing the thing once the brain box is submerged! I guess its on account of once its fully in the water, it weighs nothing!

Attachments

• oct 6-16-1.jpg
    oct 6-16-1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 126
Thanks to all for the input! Good to know I am not the only one who has never taken the plunge....yet.

Mud, your post is putting my mind at ease, thank you! I know your pro is in the water often and if 4 to 5 years old I think mine will be safe with the precautions of greasing the rings! I think next summer I will take my Pro swimming!

Back
Top Bottom