Beginners luck!

chanman

Forum Supporter
Crazy day! New to detecting and had a TON of firsts in one hunt. First permission, first "coin spill", first silver, first buffalo, first Indian, first war nickel, and first TOOTH! I decided to bust out my fathers AT Pro for the hunt. There were CONSTANT signals, as the ground is littered with iron and trash. I noticed that EVERY hole I dug had broken glass somewhere in the hole, which was a little precarious. Anyhow, I hit it hard, and found a small coin spill, which had a 1942 nickel, a toasty buffalo which I have not found a date on yet, a wheatie, and a 1944 merc! I also found a horse shoe, and not too far from that what I'm guessing is a spur? Maybe someone could help me ID that based on the provided photo. I think I may have found two homemade relic marbles as well, but am not sure as I am new too the hobby. In front of the house I had an extremely faint symbol that I decided to dig. When I got down about 10", I hit a giant, flat rock. When I flipped over the rock, I found my signal, which was an extremely toasted 1884 indian head penny! I was able to find the date when I had put water on the coin and shifted it around under the light. Any ideas on how to clean this sucker? I'm not concerned with ever selling anything, so I'm game for whatever could take off the nastiness! There happen to be a tooth in the plug, which kinda gave me the heebie jeebies. I'm guessing (and hoping) it is some sort of non humanoid tooth? Super happy as a new detectorist, and can't wait to post more finds in the future...and I'll try not to be so long winded :lol:

Here is the house.
20170308_163900-2 by rpcruab, on Flickr

The full spread.
IMG_1423 by rpcruab, on Flickr

The non clad coinage.
IMG_1425 by rpcruab, on Flickr

Merc
IMG_1427 by rpcruab, on Flickr

IMG_1428 by rpcruab, on Flickr

Toasted 1884 Indian
IMG_1431 by rpcruab, on Flickr

IMG_1432 by rpcruab, on Flickr

Toasty Buffalo
IMG_1433 by rpcruab, on Flickr

Spur?
IMG_1438 by rpcruab, on Flickr

IMG_1437 by rpcruab, on Flickr

Marbles?
IMG_1436 by rpcruab, on Flickr

IMG_1435 by rpcruab, on Flickr

And the tooth of course :lol:
IMG_1439 by rpcruab, on Flickr

IMG_1441 by rpcruab, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and HAPPY HUNTING! :grin:

Awesome property, cool looking house! Congrats on all the goodies too. I think that "spur" is a clock gear/cog, and the tooth looks non-human to me (but I'm not a dentist :lol:)

Congrats!

Awesome property, cool looking house! Congrats on all the goodies too. I think that "spur" is a clock gear/cog, and the tooth looks non-human to me (but I'm not a dentist :lol:)

Congrats!

Thanks for the info! I'm really ignorant as to what I'm digging up at the moment, but am very excited to learn!

Neato!! Good finds. The clay marbles are so cool, very awesome. I also agree, not a human tooth so your good ;)

The Indian, well the only thing I've done to get that stuff off (at a high cost to the coin) is electrolysis. It's easy to DIY one at home just make sure you read the precautions about avoiding making toxic gasses. It will help to remove the crusty stuff on the coin but may leave pits on the surface. I have had some good success with crusty Indians that I wanted to date using that technique however.

Good luck!!
HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Them clay marbels were make by the Indians many moons ago. They made marbles from clay. So nice finds... KEN

many others besides indian made clay marbles.... so no guarantee its Indian. i find them outside of indian territory at house sites all the time. They were made all the way through into the 1900s

No luck involved !

Thanks! I'm trying my best to learn the tones on the AT.

Neato!! Good finds. The clay marbles are so cool, very awesome. I also agree, not a human tooth so your good ;)

The Indian, well the only thing I've done to get that stuff off (at a high cost to the coin) is electrolysis. It's easy to DIY one at home just make sure you read the precautions about avoiding making toxic gasses. It will help to remove the crusty stuff on the coin but may leave pits on the surface. I have had some good success with crusty Indians that I wanted to date using that technique however.

Good luck!!
HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the cleaning info!

Them clay marbels were make by the Indians many moons ago. They made marbles from clay. So nice finds... KEN

Thanks!

That place should keep you busy for a while. Great hunt and great site.

BCD

For sure! I'm planning on spending a lot of time there.

Very nice firsts...and great pics to go with it! Bedford area has a lot of old properties....

Thanks! Definitely a historic area!

many others besides indian made clay marbles.... so no guarantee its Indian. i find them outside of indian territory at house sites all the time. They were made all the way through into the 1900s

Thanks for the info!

Very nice finds! Tooth looks Canine..... Congrats on all your firsts!

Thank you!

Congrats on your finds! Looks like you have a great place to hunt, you should hit it hard. I have been collecting animal skulls for 40 years. I would agree with Vermonster, you have a dog tooth there.

Back
Top Bottom