How to Build a Better Electrolysis Unit?

GeorgiaJay

Forum Supporter
I have gone through at least 8 AC/DC adapters cleaning coins and other items. I only have one 12v adapter left. It seems like electrolysis works really well, especially with higher voltages. I used a 10v and a 15v adapter combined, last night, to clean a very old coin. It was working great, but I let them get too hot and they both blew. There has got to be a way to make a better electrolysis kit. Maybe, if there was a fuse or something else to prevent the adapters from over heating. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Unquestionably a laboratory grade, adjustable, power supply with integral voltmeter, ammeter and adjustable current limit is the best choice ... and the most expensive. You can probably find a suitable one on eBay or Craig's list for a fraction of their "new" price.

Lacking that, an automotive battery charger can be had at Kragen or other large automotive store relatively cheap. If you go this way, I would add a high wattage current limiting resistor to the circuit.

I can't figure out why your adapters are blowing, that seems strange.

Check out Vlad's instructions here:

Electrolysis Instructions

I dunno? :?: I have followed the directions to a "T". The only thing that I haven't been doing is using lemon juice, because I don't have any right now. The adapters usually get too hot after about 15 to 20 minutes. I have talked to other people and they have had the same problem. I will re-read the directions and make sure that I didn't miss anything. Also, thanks for the advice Rudy!

One way to help keep the adapter from burning up is to dilute the electrolyte that you are using. In other words, don't add so much salt, baking soda, or whatever you are adding to the water to form the electrolyte. This will reduce the conductivity of the solution, in turn reducing the current flow through the circuit. Also, if you are using tap water, it is best to start with distilled water, as it is less conductive and does not contain the impurities that tap water does.

Take note that as water evaporates, and the level decreases, the concentration of electrolyte will increase, and so will the current. Keep an eye on it. :shock:

Unquestionably a laboratory grade, adjustable, power supply with integral voltmeter, ammeter and adjustable current limit is the best choice ... and the most expensive. You can probably find a suitable one on eBay or Craig's list for a fraction of their "new" price.

Lacking that, an automotive battery charger can be had at Kragen or other large automotive store relatively cheap. If you go this way, I would add a high wattage current limiting resistor to the circuit.

Simplest current limiter is adding a resistor in series with one of your wire.

A 12Volt adapter with a 400ma maximum current rating will need a 30ohms resistor. This resistor will need to be a power resistor of 5watts rating the least. Voltage= current X Resistance and also Power(wattage)= Voltage X Current.

But like some previous poster suggested, a motorcycle battery charger should be fine also, because they usually are protected.

Back
Top Bottom