Disgruntled citizen..

MarcS

Went out to an old abandoned school yesterday and had my first encounter with a very upset and annoying citizen.
I was just doing my thing, and out of nowhere, this late 50's (at least she looked like it, maybe it was her missing teeth that threw me off) woman marched up to me and asked me if I was a city worker, and if I had permission to deface city property. I think I noticed some foam build up around her mouth too. I told her that I'm here BECAUSE it's city property, and that I have every right to be here. I also stated, just for the record, that I wasn't "defacing" the lawn in front of the run down, abandoned school. I was very polite to her, even when she said that she'll call the cops on me, telling her that I would also like to have a chat with the officers. Not sure If she liked that, but she left as she mumbled that she'll google the law and then call the police. I suggested to hurry, because I was only going to be there for another 30 mins or so.
Well, unfortunately she never called the police. I already had my phone set to voice record to tape the conversation. It would have been fun.
I just hope I won't accidentally knock on her door when I'm asking for permission...

HH!

MS

It takes all kinds. Just don't be door knocking in that neighborhood and you'll probably avoid her house. I hope you found some good stuff and not just trash. Good luck on future hunts. : )

Yea I know what you mean, It is hard not to come unglued at some of these idiot's that are out there. As much as I would like to tell some of them off I just smile and kill them with kindness. I think that pee's them off more than anything. Good luck and HH.

Infuriating the misinformed doesn't bother me. If people are allowed onto the property, without permission, then so are detectorists. She may have called the police, and they found better things to do.

Have to share similar story here. I am a deputy sheriff so always carry ID. I had some do gooder pull up and read me the same riot act about defacing public property. I explained it was a public park and my dug plugs were very hard to detect after pressing them back in. I also explained there were no county or city ordinances being violated and went back to my business.

Well Johnny Citizen explains they are a tax paying resident and that local law enforcement would be summoned and a citizens arrest for defacing public property. I told them it would be an extremely fast response and when the phone started dialing I produced my ID and shield. Stone cold silence.

They simply turned and left. Did I exploit my position? No. I truthfully advised no laws were broken and I think they knew that as well. Meanwhile they can no longer complain about not having a cop around when they need one.

Have to share similar story here. I am a deputy sheriff so always carry ID. I had some do gooder pull up and read me the same riot act about defacing public property. I explained it was a public park and my dug plugs were very hard to detect after pressing them back in. I also explained there were no county or city ordinances being violated and went back to my business.

Well Johnny Citizen explains they are a tax paying resident and that local law enforcement would be summoned and a citizens arrest for defacing public property. I told them it would be an extremely fast response and when the phone started dialing I produced my ID and shield. Stone cold silence.

They simply turned and left. Did I exploit my position? No. I truthfully advised no laws were broken and I think they knew that as well. Meanwhile they can no longer complain about not having a cop around when they need one.
Ha, nice!
Sometimes I wish I had a badge to show.
It's mind-boggling that some people have nothing better to do than to start trouble over somebody metal detecting. I asked if she knew what it is that I'm doing here, and she basically said 'I know exactly what you're doing here, you're destroying public property!' My plugs were very neat and hardly noticeable, and I wonder if I was the first detectorist that she ever saw, because that place has been pounded to death over the last decades.
Either way, it didn't bother me at all (surprisingly), and I'll go back there for sure.
Thanks for chiming in everybody!

Priceless!:grin:

Infuriating the misinformed doesn't bother me. If people are allowed onto the property, without permission, then so are detectorists. She may have called the police, and they found better things to do.

I was wondering the same thing, but the least they could have done is to stop by and ask me if I found anything good :lol:

I've never anyone tell me to leave or bother me, I do get people that come up and talk to me about the usual stuff like my finds and stuff. Very nice people in Virginia I guess LOL

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

I've never anyone tell me to leave or bother me, I do get people that come up and talk to me about the usual stuff like my finds and stuff. Very nice people in Virginia I guess LOL

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Most of them here are pretty nice too, especially when it comes down to getting permission. But there sure are some crazy ones roaming around as well..

I once was in a public park when a woman who lived across the street from the park brought her dog to the park and unleashed it and it promptly ran a couple hundred yards into the park and began chasing some ducks. She marches over to me and advises me she is calling the cops because I have NO business hunting in a public park. I didn't slow down as I informed her it IS a public park, I had spoken with the Parks Department who said it was fine to hunt and I wished she would call the cops since she was standing next to a sign that stated all dogs must be kept on leashes and her dog was a looooong way from her leash. She turned red and hurried after her mutt....:lol:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because I have never ran into someone like this. Just good friendly people that want to talk.

Only been asked to leave once.

Was at the university in a large 200 acre park. There was no one in the park. I was told I could not detect on campus parks. I know better, have the permit in my bag that says I can. I apologized, left, and wont return.

I have one park where I got into some dog doo buried in the tot lot. Some folks are just mean.

Education is very important. Image is too, I just dont want to come off as a Boom Baby.

There is 104 city parks and I am really not concerned with one park off limits.

I think your lady friend just needed some company. Unfortunately I meet some folks who are homeless and they are characters. Usually harmless.

The Sherrif is too too funny. How else could you handle it, good show. I have a video camera attached to my detector just for those moments. Made by Vivitar, $69.00 dollars at Staples.

In the city people generally don't bother with you. In the suburbs is where I have had problems. The country is still the best place. :) Too bad all the stuff is where all the people are.

I was in a small country town last week, in a park when a city parks worker came. I thought he may give me a hard time but he just changed some lights and off he went. Then a sheriff pulled up and I thought "great called the police on me". Nope. The officer got out of his car, used the restroom next to where I was hunting and waved and told me to have a nice day as he got in his car and left.

As long as there is no specific ordinance(my town has one) against detecting public property we have no worries. Be respectful, leave no mark and smile. :)

HH!

Was at the university in a large 200 acre park. There was no one in the park. I was told I could not detect on campus parks. I know better, have the permit in my bag that says I can. I apologized, left, and wont return.

I have one park where I got into some dog doo buried in the tot lot. Some folks are just mean.

Education is very important. Image is too, I just dont want to come off as a Boom Baby.

There is 104 city parks and I am really not concerned with one park off limits.

I think your lady friend just needed some company. Unfortunately I meet some folks who are homeless and they are characters. Usually harmless.

The Sherrif is too too funny. How else could you handle it, good show. I have a video camera attached to my detector just for those moments. Made by Vivitar, $69.00 dollars at Staples.

naaaaaaaaaa i am afraid i would be a little bullheaded, with a permit in my pocket stating i was good to go. the misinformed busybody trying to run me off may have had a stroke when i laughed in his/her face when told to leave. i would have waved the permit and kept on swingin .

i dont believe in tucking tail and leaving anywhere that i have permission to hunt. a wise man once stated "you can take everything a man owns, if you take it just a little at a time". by leaving you implied you were in the wrong, even though you knew it was just to avoid a scene. but the busybody sure puffed out his/her chest when you did leave. next hobbyist there will get the same lecture, even though the busybody is as wrong as can be.

she very well may have been desperate for contact/conversation of some form or fashion and had no idea regarding just initiating as much.

thanks for being nice to her as it may not happen often-

Marc, those people never cease to amaze us.

They are ignorant! Those who don't understand will criticize.

We are sure you weren't shovel digging like you were digging fence post holes.

Heck, if she didn't like the sound or the smell of diesel fumes, she could have avoided the whole situation. :D

18245599-big-excavator-on-new-construction-site-in-the-background-the-blue-sky-and-sun.jpg

My friend has a wife like this. She just likes to go out and boss people around and yell at them even though she is a complete idiot.

One time her father-in-law (who lives next door to her) had given permission for his friend to take his grandkids to his pond and fish. This dingy woman proceeds to drive out there and scream at this old man in front of his grand children and run them off the property while they were fishing.

The father-in-law was furious and told his friend that the woman didn't own the property and had no right to run them off. He actually told his friend the next time she comes out there to run her off, or call him and he would!

One day she is going to screw with the wrong person and it is going to end badly. I personally have never encountered one of these types.

Back
Top Bottom