State and National Forests and Parks.

Plug

Can I assume that most of the State and National Forests and Parks have no MD policies. I have looked through some of the web sites for the ones in my area and as a general rule MD is not even mentioned?........

This seems a little strange to me as I would have assumed a "no dig" policy would be enforced. Naturally I will send the appropriate emails, requests etc. But I was just wandering where most areas policies seem to fall regarding MD.

National Forests set policy for each forest, leaving it up the the management to decide whether to ban an activity or not. Most State Parks are also this way and those that do allow it have areas where it is permissible and where it is not, in Arizona for example you have to get permission from the supervisor of the individual parks. The National Parks are never at anytime can you detect anywhere on a park reservation, some of the parks if they even see you with a detector will confiscate it even though it is in your vehicle. It really depends on what son of something or another is running the park, but it is best to have your detector out of sight and out of mind when in NPs.

National Forests set policy for each forest, leaving it up the the management to decide whether to ban an activity or not. Most State Parks are also this way and those that do allow it have areas where it is permissible and where it is not, in Arizona for example you have to get permission from the supervisor of the individual parks. The National Parks are never at anytime can you detect anywhere on a park reservation, some of the parks if they even see you with a detector will confiscate it even though it is in your vehicle. It really depends on what son of something or another is running the park, but it is best to have your detector out of sight and out of mind when in NPs.

but you can take your loaded gun into a NP and thats fine go figure

I always go to Joshua Tree NP, but never even consider taking it out of the trunk, sure wish I could tho, so many good spots in that park.

I would forget such sites. Too much hassle looking for permission to detect.

Just look into private sites. They are usually the best sites anyway.........see ya yardhunter

Just go to your states DNR website and punch in metal detecting in the search area. Pretty simple.

In my state national forests are wide open and most every state park is either wide open or has generous areas for MD'ing.

Michigan:

Metal detecting is recognized as a legitimate recreation activity when it is conducted in ways that do not damage the natural and cultural resources in Michigan State Parks nor violate applicable state statues.

DNR link: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_10883-97922--,00.html

It is actually illegal to detect in state parks I'm not sure about national parks, always ask permission and get it printed and signed to be safe.

It is actually illegal to detect in state parks I'm not sure about national parks, always ask permission and get it printed and signed to be safe.

I take it you didn't read any of the posts in this thread before commenting? :?:

Luckily here in my area state parks are fair game. Most of them anyway. And I have one park the rangers allow me to detect even though I'm not really "allowed" lol. But I have written permission so I it's fair game to me lol. All I can say is just look around your State parks websites and you shall find the answers for your area.

Back
Top Bottom