Just couldn't.....

Ferrous

Elite Member
bring myself to spend $55.oo for a digger. Sooo with some scrap metal and on my 1/2 hour lunch break I made this. The shovels that are for sale look really knarley and I like the design so I modeled this after them. Can't wait to try it.

Attachments

• PB040112 copy (Small).jpg
    PB040112 copy (Small).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 544
  • PB040114 (Small).JPG
    PB040114 (Small).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 545
Looks great! you made this in a half hour lunch break? Is it stainless or just regular steel?

Tony, no not stainless. 3/16" plate for the blade, 11/4" for the handle, and a piece of 1" cold rolled to connect the blade to the handle. Then some primer. guess I ought to paint it and put an edge on it also.

...........looks functional enough, but I think you made it too big. You can move a lot of material with that thing. I always go for smaller shovels so I do not move too much material in each scoop! Takes a little longer,but I don't mind, I'm retired .:D

I made one as well...took me a bit longer than 30min tho. worked on it for about a week 20min a day at work,I modeled mine after my dads ground shark,mines got a wider blade by about 1/2" and is 30" long,I only serrated one side but plan to do both sides. I also put a "push pad" on it like the ground shark,got mine by cutting the heel off an old boot :lol: I was gonna buy one of them lesche relic pro shovels this weekend,I like that design a bit better than the ground shark and don't have the material to make one. yours look great...good job!

Looks good to me. Some say it's too big, I say just don't push the blade in as far!:lol::spin: But really nice shovel. I love making my own stuff. I have yet to do to many metal projects though even though I have a welder.

I think that's one fine digger ! I don't think it's too big for out in the woods... sometimes that little extra leverage is a help especially in a rocky area....

If it only took you 30 minutes and you used scrap ... damn you could be selling 'em ! :shock:

One fine job..... even if I had a welder.... and I worked on it for.... oh say 7 hours a day.... It'd still take me like 2 months to come up with something that even looked close to that ! :roll:

Yup... I'm pretty handy ! :lol: :spin: :tumble:

Back
Top Bottom