Gotta love Knox County Maine

mhallack

Elite Member
And I am not being sarcastic either!!

Well I have talked to the local police in Thomaston and Rockland about using a metal detector on public land. No problems whatsoever. My wife advised me for the town of Rockport I really should ask since some residents there and in Camden tend to be stuck up types. So I called the town office for Rockport. They were unaware of any laws against metal detecting on public land, but said to contact the police dept. So i did and he said "Why would it be illegal?" I told him I just wanted to make sure. He thanked me for calling. I still have to call about Camden, but I figure it won't be a problem there either.

I just want to cover my bases. I had one guy who said he was going to the police because I was ruining public land. nothing came of it cause I was doing nothing wrong. (Police didn't even show up) In a twisted way I hope I get others to do the same thing. I will calmly tell them I am doing nothing illegal. Even if an officer shows up I can show him or her I am being responsible (filling my holes) more than likely they would be more interested in what I have found.

Glad you're having positive relations with the powers that be. After taking a ride through those areas last week I am having a little jealous "grass is greener" mindset going on. Looking forward to your finds.
I still have not asked anyone official in my area if I can detect. I stick to the rule that if its not posted, or fenced in, town public property is fair game. I have had the police (all 3 cruisers the town owns) drive by me while detecting, and always got a wave from them. Plus I have gotten the chance to show off my trash to a few of the town groundskeepers. Let me tell ya, they were very happy with what I was doing.
Good luck and hh

Lucky you ! Here they will take your detector and fine you if your caught detecting on City property.

Back
Top Bottom