Fell from the sky maybe?

caheaton

So, how often do you guys find bullets? (not counting relic hunters....). Found this while detecting a local park. Find it odd that there's no sign that the bullet impacted anything...it's a hollow point with outer copper jacket corroding but with the cuts around the bullet's nose still visible and not deformed. It rang up as a solid nickel and was about an inch or two deep. Looks to be a 9mm.

Attachments

• P5270830.JPG
    P5270830.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 400
We had a couple come through a metal roof without leaving a mark on the bullet. Some idiot was just shooting into the air.

Cliff

Occasionally find them. I wish I’d find some civil war era bullets but I guess I’m not digging the right numbers. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once found a spent shotgun slug in a park. Hate to guess what some idiot was doing for it to get there.

People shoot guns everywhere, during all periods of time. It could have fallen from the sky, but I've also been detecting in suburbs where I found them just shot into the ground.

So, how often do you guys find bullets? (not counting relic hunters....). Found this while detecting a local park. Find it odd that there's no sign that the bullet impacted anything...it's a hollow point with outer copper jacket corroding but with the cuts around the bullet's nose still visible and not deformed. It rang up as a solid nickel and was about an inch or two deep. Looks to be a 9mm.

I find about 2 a month, equalling out to a couple dozen a year. Usually when I find them, I find more than one.

I'm still not sure why they show up. I'd like to think they're not falling out of the sky, but really? I have no idea.

Bothers me to no end... But at the same time, I don't ever hear of someone being hit by stray bullets, so it is probably something along the lines of "there's a whole lot more empty space to fall in, than populated." Probability of impacting a person is likely just very low (especially if they're fired at night).

Either way, creeps me out EVERY TIME I find one with striations on the bullet (where it's gone through the barrel). Yours has them, too. It was clearly fired.

Skippy

I once found a spent shotgun slug in a park. Hate to guess what some idiot was doing for it to get there.

If it was a newish park, sometimes they bring in sod from farms, where legal shooting (at deer and the like) happens.

I typically find quite a few headstamps, casings, and bullets from fresh sod. Fresh Bark? Usually bits of bullets everywhere, too.

Skippy

If it was a newish park, sometimes they bring in sod from farms, where legal shooting (at deer and the like) happens.

I typically find quite a few headstamps, casings, and bullets from fresh sod. Fresh Bark? Usually bits of bullets everywhere, too.

Skippy

That's a good point I hadn't considered.

The park isn't new....it's been a park since the early 1920's. My guess is that someone was celebrating and fired their gun in the air....the town where the park lies is actually a rural area outside of town. .

It's pretty common to bring home a fired bullet or two. Most show some impact, but a few look like that; no damage. I sometimes wonder if they were just dropped there, not fired. The striations that Skippy mentioned are a dead giveaway it's been fired. Just another MD-er's mystery.

Back
Top Bottom