Fisher Gold Bug Defective - Advice Please

TCosbyJr

Forum Supporter
Hello I'm just getting restarted detecting after a few years.

With my budget constants and not wanting a beginners detector again, after my last detector was a new Tesoro Outlaw, I found the Fisher Gold Bug. I'll likely never prospect for gold, but many say its great for relic hunting and a bit of coin shooting - which is perfect for me.

While I would have preferred a Fisher F75, my wife put her foot down on that, maybe a upgrade trade later. Anyway as I am restarting from scratch I found Amazon (they were the seller, no 3rd party) was happy to sell it to me broken up on payments which allowed me to go ahead and get all the other goodies too (coil cover, rain cover, spare coil bolts, rechargeable battery setup, pinpointer, trowel, etc... some $200+ of goodies).

After waiting a bit over 2 weeks the detector finally arrived today, the rest of my goodies were already delivered and waiting. I put together the metal poles, connected the coil, and pulled the pull battery tab from the battery box and it came to life.

Problem was the On/Off switch was in the off position. (see image of the switch I am talking about)

Further testing reveled that the only way to turn the detector off is to remove the battery. The On/Off switch itself seems solid, has a nice click, and the main function of the Gain works 100% on the switch as it should - the switch for On/off simply does nothing electronically. The rest of the metal detector also seems to function as it should.

So this is where I need the advice.

I have some options available to me at this point to fix my brand new detector, all of which I am not happy with besides the even longer wait time. What money I had left was spent on accessories, some of which was for this particular detector so are worthless if I have to get something else.

Amazon itself (not a 3rd party) is sold out too which means if I send it back to them I am in for a long wait for a replacement (or simply a refund). Which is enough for a beginner machine... which is what I trying to avoid to start with.

I contacted Fisher directly too when it arrived and I'm waiting for a response. However in this day and age with the pandemic who knows if support is even around at all to respond.

Should I...
  1. Return it to Amazon (who is out of stock for a replacement) for a refund?
  2. Wait for Fisher to possibly respond and wait weeks/months for a repair sending it in?
  3. Use the detector as is and remove the battery each time?
  4. Unscrew the 4 Phillips screws on the control box and repair a possible solder connection, replace the switch, or whatever is necessary myself? With my knowledge and past projects I would have already - but fear it may not be something so simple and if the electronics board is faulty I just voided my warranty and return.

So much for the parks and everything else that recently opened back up in my state. Hopefully soon though I can get back to swinging a detector.

Attachments

• goldbug_face_switch.jpg
    goldbug_face_switch.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 317
Are you sure its not a knock-off?
China mass produced a ton of them. If its a knock off, the four case screws will most likely strip out the plastic threads on the case. Fisher can check the serial number. Go back to the Amazon listing and look at the sellers other items for sale, if they sell tons of other Chinese products..........................https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/9897-fake-counterfeit-gb-pro/

Are you sure its not a knock-off?
China mass produced a ton of them. If its a knock off, the four case screws will most likely strip out the plastic threads on the case. Fisher can check the serial number. Go back to the Amazon listing and look at the sellers other items for sale, if they sell tons of other Chinese products..........................https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/9897-fake-counterfeit-gb-pro/

Positive that its not a knock off, as it was sold by and fulfilled by Amazon (I do not use 3rd party sellers there, and Amazon only does payments via their own listings). For nearly $500 it better not be, sounds like I should get the serial # verified though if I keep it.

Interesting to read though as I was only aware of the fake Garrett Ace series. However from the site linked
I contacted Fisher about how to determine the fakes: I was told only real way was by who sold you the detector. So If it came from Fisher direct and sold on Amazon, which mine was. My concern was different packaging and the Serial numbers, etc. but apparently the Chinese knock offs duplicate those as well? so buy only from Fisher direct or a Reputable seller like Amazon, etc.

Personally I would return it and go with an F75 for about the same money. Maybe in classifieds. Given what you've said and experiences with Amazon, it seems like a win-win.

Also, the concerns about counterfeit were a good point. Not sure if items fulfilled by Amazon are guaranteed to be authentic necessarily - others may know more specifics on their fulfillment reqs but definitely wouldn't hurt to check with the mfg to confirm serial if you decide to keep it for some reason.

Assuming it's legit, perhaps Fisher would have some tech support advice to offer by phone. In any case, I'd still lean toward returning and getting an F75 if it's the preferred option.

Personally I would return it and go with an F75 for about the same money. Maybe in classifieds. Given what you've said and experiences with Amazon, it seems like a win-win.

Also, the concerns about counterfeit were a good point. Not sure if items fulfilled by Amazon are guaranteed to be authentic necessarily - others may know more specifics on their fulfillment reqs but definitely wouldn't hurt to check with the mfg to confirm serial if you decide to keep it for some reason.

I did give in and I returned the detector today.

A few minutes on the order filling out why I was returning it at Amazon and it was ready for drop-off at the UPS Store. It was scanned and now on it's way, I was done 20 minutes after I started the return.

The brand new replacement will be here Monday too no charges for return/ship or anything. A win all around for sure as they received new stock today. Speaking of which I did good ordering when I did as they raised the price $50 for new sales.

Assuming it's legit, perhaps Fisher would have some tech support advice to offer by phone. In any case, I'd still lean toward returning and getting an F75 if it's the preferred option.

You may be right about the phone service. I will do that when the replacement arrives and have the serial # verified (as that question with my serial went ignored).

I did the contact form on the Fisher site and email thinking it would be better or more response given (as email text doesn't charge by the letter) but no... Here is the whole response I got 24 hours later (name removed)
Thomas –

When you power on the unit, do you hear a lick or does the knob freely spin? You are using Alkaline batteries correct?

Regards.

Sales Support
First Texas Products
Fisher Research Labs | Teknetics | Bounty Hunter | Night Owl Optics | Nivisys | FTP Circuits
1120 Alza Drive, El Paso TX 79907 USA | t 915.633.8354 ext. 1002 | c 915.248.6609 | f 915.633.8529
FOLLOW US: FACEBOOK|INSTAGRAM |YOUTUBE

A bit disheartening to say the least. Sure I didn't expect a free replacement direct from them, just possible servicing details or what they could do; after all, that was why I contacted them and did not simply return it from the start.

What got me was the Alkaline battery question. Seriously how/when has a currently sold battery affected a switch while leaving the rest of the electronics working 100% (and to do so leaving it working instead of dead) ?! Especially as the manual says batteries from Alkaline to rechargeables were perfectly fine just avoid zinc carbon batteries.

Anyway after seeing Amazon had new stock and got that message, and no response from my reply nearly 24 hours later...I was done.

I've owned several Bounty Hunter and Teknetics detectors (along with White's and Tesoro's) and now a Fisher and a fan of First Texas Products - I just really hope I don't have to worry about servicing any.

Do yourself a favor and return it to amazon like someone did before you when they found it didn’t function properly.

That I did, see my new response above. I hope it is not a sign of a trend, as my only option was a free replacement.

If the brand new one that shows up has problems too I will contact Amazon direct to get a refund. Surely I just got unlucky with bad one and all will be fine.

Regardless I will update when it arrives Monday.

First Texas plant is mostly closed due to an order by the ayor of El Paso. They are in the process of re-opening and working mostly from home - That might be why you got no response within 24 hours. Email is always best.

First Texas plant is mostly closed due to an order by the ayor of El Paso. They are in the process of re-opening and working mostly from home - That might be why you got no response within 24 hours. Email is always best.

Thanks for the details. I figured it was the case, but glad to hear they are re-opening.

Just waiting for Monday for the replacement, then I can go hide out in the backyard and local parks. :digginahole:

The information from the First Texas tech is just about all that can be done. Zinc Carbon batteries and Heavy duty batteries really can make FTP detectors and pinpointers act extremely weird. I know this from experience. The On/Off knob makes an audible click on my G2+ so I can see why they asked you that too. Since you just bought it from Amazon (probably came from Texas Premium) returning it for a replacement was the best move. Sounds like you did everything just right.

Personally, I have had a few problems with FTP products and their warranty/repair service has always been great from my experience so don't worry about possible work in the future. They will take care of you.

Jeff

The information from the First Texas tech is just about all that can be done. Zinc Carbon batteries and Heavy duty batteries really can make FTP detectors and pinpointers act extremely weird. I know this from experience. The On/Off knob makes an audible click on my G2+ so I can see why they asked you that too. Since you just bought it from Amazon (probably came from Texas Premium) returning it for a replacement was the best move. Sounds like you did everything just right.

Personally, I have had a few problems with FTP products and their warranty/repair service has always been great from my experience so don't worry about possible work in the future. They will take care of you.

Jeff

Thanks for the response Jeff. Your likely right and I am overeager at best (and likely just another blabbing fool), and why I posted here for some voices of reason.

Indeed I'm a fan of their products as mentioned and hope not to have to worry about another repair - like anyone of course. It is however comforting to know someone who has dealt with it first hand. I appreciate the honest response.

Awesome, glad it worked out in timing and a replacement is coming for the original price!

Awesome, glad it worked out in timing and a replacement is coming for the original price!

Thanks it was meant to be I guess, and I'm excitedly waiting. :D

At least this way too if nothing else I have another detector to "upgrade" to in the F75 - there is always better gear right? Honestly though I'll be more than happy with the Gold Bug for a long while.

I hope at this point to retire the always upgrading detector mentality and learn my machine better, and researching and finding more locations too. Before the break in the hobby for me until recently, I had bought and swapped eight detectors I can remember in that two year period.

The replacement Gold Bug did show-up Monday from Amazon. Within 10 minutes of my postman leaving I attached the coil cable to the control box and tried out all the buttons/controls which all work as they should. What a relief!

I was hoping to post follow-up details and why I waited on my update message; however, it seems the matter is finished.

Amazon sent me a "Return Complete" email a few hours ago. For the return I had to agree I'd pay for them both if Amazon did not receive the defective one. So thankfully the defective detector arrived and I do not owe for another Gold Bug.

Very curiously I never got a follow-up response from Fisher on my email reply, going on the 7th day now. If Fisher received a email from Amazon about the return, read the FMDF thread itself, misplaced it when they reopened this week, or what I will just chalk it up to the event and move forward.

I thought a photo was in order of my new Gold Bug with it's coil cover, arm strap, and meter rain/dust/dirt cover. At the moment it is spotlessly clean, I've been waiting for the weather to stop raining and the time. Two of our cats decided to photobomb of course too.

In case any other detectorist out there is looking for the correct detector accessories/parts for the new Gold Bug, Gold Bug Pro, etc below are the part numbers and where to find them as most retailers are sold out.

Be aware that Fisher/Teknetics/Bounty Hunter are owned by First Texas Products and often available from any of those brands - as long as the part number is a match your good. I found the new Fisher labs Gold Bug correct parts on the Teknetics factory direct page.

• Arm rest strap - part # 2021112000 (however any generic one works perfectly and for only a fraction of factory cost)
  • Meter rain/dust cover - part # RAINCOV-GB - While the part number even says GB in it, the meter cover is labeled for Teknetics Omega and G2 only (be sure it has the double holes for both knobs)
  • 5" Coil cover - part # 5COVER-BLK - All other coil covers do not fit the new Gold Bugs (black only)
  • Coil bolt stud - part # BLKSTUD-NR
  • Coil nut - part # FEMALE-R
  • Coil hardware kit - part # COILKIT1 - includes the bolt, nut, and two washers. Hard to find really (especially at a fair price) so a phone call to First Texas Products may be needed.

Some of the part numbers can be found in the Gold Bug manual (back page), and others are not listed. Searching online many items I found were out of stock and/or incorrectly labelled (would not fit) and added to the confusion. If the commonly seen mislabeling was due to the old Gold Bugs, many websites coping others bad information, or to simply move old incompatible stock (3rd party Amazon and eBay sellers) is anyone's guess.

Attachments

• fishergb1.jpg
    fishergb1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 215
Love the size of the thing. Pretty lightweight?

Me too I am quite pleased I got it. Yes, very lightweight and has a great balance to it as well.

The manual says it weighs 2 pounds 8 oz (2.5 lbs) with the 9v battery. With the coil cover, meter cover, arm strap, and 9v battery shown in my photo all setup my scale weighs it just below 2 pounds 10 oz (2.625 lbs).

I know the Tesoro Cibola and Outlaw I use to swing were 2.2 lbs and called ultra-lightweight. So in that regard the Gold Bug takes 0.3 lbs (5 ounces) for the addition of the full featured meter display.

The only slight negative I can think of is the small sized 5" DD stock coil (5COIL-GBUG). That said I used the tiny BH 4" Gold Nugget coil years ago covering large areas, so it is a improvement in size however small. I may upgrade to a 10” Solid DD (10COILDD-GB) or 11” DD Bi-Axial (11COIL-GB) later for faster coverage. Seems there is a bit of overlap in the accepted coils chart as well and some not listed that are reported to work by other hobbyist, so I may even find one on sale or like new with enough patience.

Funny enough after posting the last update I received a reply finally by Fisher, on the 7th day.

The Fisher tech said, "Our service center is asking us to bring this in to evaluate." and wanted my address. I let him know about the return and I got a perfect replacement, thanking him for his time.

While I had contact I did ask about my current Gold Bug's serial number for a possible counterfeit. Today he told me the record for my serial number shows it was sold to Amazon, and the date, so indeed Fisher Lab detectors that are Amazon listed as "Sold by Amazon and Fulfilled by Amazon." (no 3rd party) are authentic as expected.

Back
Top Bottom