Considering a Nox 800 - have a White's Coinmaster Gt. What Kind of Difference Will This Make?

Chaseathompson

Hello all,

I've been a low level MD hobbyist for a few years - taking my kids out 'treasure hunting,' and such. I live in a good area now, and am thinking of getting more serious. Have enough to afford an Equinox 800, and am wondering how big of an upgrade over my 5 year old White's Coinmaster GT it would be. I know I have a lot to learn, and I know that digging trash is a part of metal detecting, and that's fine...but I feel like I'm digging way too much trash with the GT and not hardly enough interesting things (coins, etc). Yes, I know I have a lot to learn.

Will an Equinox 800 actually discriminate better? How much of a difference will an upgraded machine make? I'd like to find coins, but also the occasional gold nugget, if possible. Like I said, I don't mind digging up trash, but I'd like to tip the scales in my favor a little more.

The Equinox 800 simultaneous multi frequency is a very advanced, upper mid-range detector that is used by lots of amateur and professional gold prospectors, relic hunters, beach hunters, jewelry hunters and coin hunters and by people that turn it on once a month or less and just want a detector in the closet. The GT is a decent detector for the first 6" of mild to moderate dirt. The Equinox won't do much better on coin sized or bigger objects in that same first 6" than any other detector in mild to moderate dirt. On smaller than coin sized objects in the first 6" it won't miss much however. It will also do very well in the next 6". I have found some amazing targets at 12 to 14" with the Equinox. It will let you know very accurately if you are about to dig a very low conductor, low conductor, mid conductor or high conductive target down to at least a foot in good ground if you have taken the time to learn it. It has very fast recovery speed, great target separation, is very adjustable, and has not been toned down or limited at the factory. So, it can be run really hot and can sometimes be too much for newer users because it is capable of hitting just about every shallow target in the ground that is as big or bigger than a 1/16 of an inch.

Since it is multi frequency and very high gain transmit signal wise, it is also susceptible to audible and silent EMI interference. So it does not appear to airtest very well unless you do the testing in a low or no EMI area. It can easily airiest a nickel at 14" with the 11" coil in the most basic settings except with the sensitivity cranked up to 23 or more. It will not do that in high EMI in a suburban backyard or inside of a house.

You will definitely dig a lot more trash along with targets you many not be able to locate because they are so small with the Equinox until you learn what it is telling you. No hot running detector is designed to avoid trash, it is just the opposite. The Nox is built to detect just about every piece of metal in the ground within detection range even in really bad mineralization. However, you can easily run it in default Park 1, turn down the sensitivity to 13-15 and ignore most of the really small stuff while you learn what the good signals sound like. It is definitely a grown-up's detector.

Jeff

Last edited:
I dig less trash with my 800
It finds silver coins really well in iron!
It works great in saltwater.
It's made to find gold nuggets too.
It's deep!

The Equinox 800 simultaneous multi frequency is a very advanced, upper mid-range detector that is used by lots of amateur and professional gold prospectors, relic hunters, beach hunters, jewelry hunters and coin hunters and by people that turn it on once a month or less and just want a detector in the closet. The GT is a decent detector for the first 6" of mild to moderate dirt. The Equinox won't do much better on coin sized or bigger objects in that same first 6" than any other detector in mild to moderate dirt. On smaller than coin sized objects in the first 6" it won't miss much however. It will also do very well in the next 6". I have found some amazing targets at 12 to 14" with the Equinox. It will let you know very accurately if you are about to dig a very low conductor, low conductor, mid conductor or high conductive target down to at least a foot in good ground if you have taken the time to learn it. It has very fast recovery speed, great target separation, is very adjustable, and has not been toned down or limited at the factory. So, it can be run really hot and can sometimes be too much for newer users because it is capable of hitting just about every shallow target in the ground that is as big or bigger than a 1/16 of an inch.

Since it is multi frequency and very high gain transmit signal wise, it is also susceptible to audible and silent EMI interference. So it does not appear to airtest very well unless you do the testing in a low or no EMI area. It can easily airiest a nickel at 14" with the 11" coil in the most basic settings except with the sensitivity cranked up to 23 or more. It will not do that in high EMI in a suburban backyard or inside of a house.

You will definitely dig a lot more trash along with targets you many not be able to locate because they are so small with the Equinox until you learn what it is telling you. No hot running detector is designed to avoid trash, it is just the opposite. The Nox is built to detect just about every piece of metal in the ground within detection range even in really bad mineralization. However, you can easily run it in default Park 1, turn down the sensitivity to 13-15 and ignore most of the really small stuff while you learn what the good signals sound like. It is definitely a grown-up's detector.

Jeff
Excellent post Jeff. Clear explanation of the Equinox 800.

I got both kind of. I have the Nox 600. Right off the bat the coinmaster is designed for coins and then other stuff. It is a great MD that will find stuff. Nox 600 I can notch out junk I don't want to find. Now I am still learning my Nox 600 and I am also digging less and finding higher value items. I do alot of beach hunting.

GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom