G&S means what..

Its on all the mills on the maps, always by water of course. followed by the owner of the mills' name. Some examples...

Attachments

• house 013.JPG
    house 013.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 320
  • house 018.JPG
    house 018.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 328
  • house 017.JPG
    house 017.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 336
  • house 016.JPG
    house 016.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 326
  • house 015.JPG
    house 015.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 325
well, i tried googling it and the first 2 results were this thread already, HAHA! :lol:
i can't really see grain and a sawmill being combined since the products for each come from totally different localities and with those being older maps, that would have meant a LOT of work to get both types of products overland to the same mill site. other than it possibly being gold and silver, i really don't know.
but those are some great close-ups. are those maps of a known mining area? the word "mill" could be referring to a mill stamp where ore would have been crushed for processing. and often, wherever there was mining going on, there would be sawmills somewhere nearby because of the volume of timbers needed for the shafts.
those are just some ideas, but sorry i can't give you anything more useful. :no:

Pete

Maybe...Girl Scouts....JKing.....I tried to search too..not much.....good luck with that....maybe ya will find some petrafide cookies....:)

my guess is the G is grist and S is saw, maybe when making the map they weren't sure what the mill did so they just put G & S to cover all bases:lol:

Grist and Saw mills. Grist mills grind grain so you were right in a way. Grist is sort of an older word. Oops, someone beat me to it.

Grist and saw mill. Not uncommon for the two to be near each other. Or, it is the name of the mill itself.

Back
Top Bottom