Tips, pointers needed ASAP!!! please

hunter081

Elite Member
tomorrow the wife and I are heading to the beach. I am a newbie still and have hunted the woods and tot lots for almost a month. I am kinda getting used to the ground hunting but not sand so my questions are with a ace 250
1. I have a 6.5x9 coil concentric and a 8.5x11DD. Which should i use/
2. Im looking for jewelry what should I notch out, iron, foil??? or not
3. should I run max sensitvity?
4. do i swing as close to the sand as possible or on the sand?? meaning do u guys/gals actually skim the surface with your coil since its sand?

and anything else you could help me out with. Its 3.5 hours away and im only going tomorrow so i have just one shot at this for awhile :)

Thanks all, Leo

I would use the larger 8.5 x 11 DD coil.

Notch out iron only. Gold can fall into anything between coins and iron.

Run max sensitivity, provided the area isn't trashy. I usually run max at the beach.

Swing about one inch off the surface of the sand. Sometimes when I find something I will go back and forth a couple inches right on the sand to zero in on it's location. I don't use the pinpoint function much.

What no nuggets said is perfect , you can also run the wet sand but your sensitivity may need to be lowered. if you bump the wet sand it will false. low tide can be your friend and good luck

I'm no expert...really.:D....but I think if go in the wet sand....you will have to lower sensitivity as others have said... but remember you may need to clean the coil off especially going from wet to dry sand...you may get some falsing...good luck..

For jewelry, the best coil would be the smallest you have. Take a thin gold necklace or bracelet (right now, at home) and swing both coils over it - see which one picks it up best (if at all). Generally, the smaller the coil, the better it can find thin gold chain.

I'd turn the DISC off completely, at least at first. Because digging in sand is instantaneous - you scoop up the sand and as you lift your scoop, all the sand drains out and leaves your item in the scoop. (You do have a sand scoop, I hope).

It's not like digging dirt, where you have to dig carefully and pinpoint and cover your holes caefully afterwards.

When it's so easy to dig (scoop), dig it all. Take a bag to put the trash in, and you're good to go.

ok

thanks guys, but i do not have a sand scoop. so if I pinpoint it with the machine and move the sand in the area hopefully my garrett pro pointer will find it just like it does in the dirt/clay. Also I dont have a "disc" button. Not sure what that means?

I dont have a "disc" button. Not sure what that means?

Sorry, Hunter! DISC is the discrimination control, and on the 250 it's labelled DISCRIM.

Just turn the discrimination completely off (put it in ALL METAL) and dig everything.

If you have an old plastic scoop laying around, you can drill it full of 1/2-inch holes, or you can use a cat litter scoop.

The sand will wear down a plastic scoop pretty fast, so metal is better, but still, for a buck at Dollar Tree you're good to go for a while.

P.S. My wife grew up in Falls Church!

wow

wow thanks dan. Ill take your expertise tomorrow with me, also thats cool that your wife grew up in falss church. I hunted some tot lots in falls church today and I got about 4 dollars in change and a cz ring. Nobody here detects these playgrounds. Not sure why or they just leave the good stuff for me :)

hillbillydigger

thanks i wont. Ill just run all metl mode. In the woods i get alot of iron in that mode so hopefully the sand wont make me go bonkers :)

Nobody here detects these playgrounds. Not sure why or they just leave the good stuff for me :)

May be that they've been chased out by the cops. I seem to remember reading that some folks have been told they can't detect the parks there. (I may be wrong, and I wouldn't worry about it until someone complains, and you can say you're a newbie who didn't know any better.)

I do have a couple of podcasts about that. Listen to shows #2 and #39 at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

thanks dan

May be that they've been chased out by the cops. I seem to remember reading that some folks have been told they can't detect the parks there. (I may be wrong, and I wouldn't worry about it until someone complains, and you can say you're a newbie who didn't know any better.)

I do have a couple of podcasts about that. Listen to shows #2 and #39 at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

very informative. I appreciate the help. like the link alot :)

Back
Top Bottom