Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Digaholic

I am contemplating buying the Whites Surf PI Dual Field to compliment my Minelab Excalibur II. Is this a wise choice? Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I find the DF to be an outstanding beach machine and would highly recommend it. Add to that, it is White's product and their superb customer service backs it up. RickO

I think so. How much iron are you coming across with your Excal? If you aren't coming across a lot of it then a PI is a great choice, and the Dual Field is probably the best.

If you want a PI deeper than your Excalibur then the DF is the detector to try... you will dig more trash until you learn the subtle differences in its tone but you will also find deeper gold that the Excal can't even see... I have owned the Excalibur and I know for fact the DF is deeper... ;)

Not ever having used an Excal, I can't say. However, I do like my DF. If you do decide to get a DF you might want to consider getting a gently used one from another forum member. That is how I got mine at a nice discount and almost a full warranty. Some people don't want to take the time to learn the signals and they get tired of digging so much iron. HH!

Aruba - Excalibur II or Surf PI Dual Field

Thanks for all the feedback. I will be picking up my new Whites Surf PI Dual Field today. Now for my next question, I will be planning a trip to Aruba this year, do I bring the Excalibur II or the Whites PI Dual Field?

I'd take the Excal. You don't know for sure what the conditions will be like and you risk a lot of frustration having a PI if the beaches are trashy. If I was in a situation where I was going to an unknown beach and could only take one detector I'd prefer the versatility of a VLF over the depth of a PI. Plus, the Excal can be used to search dry land if you came across an ideal spot. With a PI you are mostly stuck on the wet sand of the beach.

That being said, DF users indicate they can tell iron from other metal once they get enough time and practice on the machine (I have a Surf PI Pro which is good but doesn't discriminate). Maybe if you get good at telling iron from good stuff you might consider the DF. But if you can't do it at home by the time you go then stick with the Excal.

Back
Top Bottom