need help on hunting good? sites

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
need help on hunting good? sites
I live in North Atlanta (north of i-285). I have good luck in finding old sites that are still not disturbed and I have access to. But I have yet to find a silver coin. Plenty of clad, most 3-5" deep. I am using an Garrett AT pro and have had it now about 1 1/2 years. I go hunting about 2x per week on the average.
I hunt in the Pro Zero mode with headphones all of the time. I feel that I have become pretty good in this mode. Last year someone told me on the forum, if you are not finding desired items, change locations. I followed that advice.
But now I feel maybe I am not hunting slow enough and hard enough or deep enough in an area that should produce.
For instance I have located a old park along a creek that dates from 1988 and before that was farmland along the creek and river. This was farmland back in the early 1800's and Indian territory.
I can also see looking back on historic aerials old buildings that have long vanished.
How would you hunt this site? AT pro owners please help also.

I figure 90% of the sites I've found, someone had also found them before me. I did find one I know was a virgin site, simply by the amount of good finds there.

MDing was a huge hobby back in the 70's and 80's, so it may have been beat to death while the buildings were still standing.

That's not to say there still isn't good finds there to be had, it just means fewer and harder to find. Grid search it, being sure to overlap your swings, and dig it all.

I figure 90% of the sites I've found, someone had also found them before me. I did find one I know was a virgin site, simply by the amount of good finds there.

MDing was a huge hobby back in the 70's and 80's, so it may have been beat to death while the buildings were still standing.

That's not to say there still isn't good finds there to be had, it just means fewer and harder to find. Grid search it, being sure to overlap your swings, and dig it all.

Gauntlet is right on the money on this, but I'd like to add is... go slow.

Sites that have easy silver are getting to be rare, and I'd venture to say they're all private property anymore. Public sites like schools & parks have been searched & hunted relentlessly for over 50 years now and the goods left in the ground there are few and far between.

Ironically though, my silvers have all come from "hunted out" public areas. Not a one has been found on private ground.

I just keep going back to the same areas I know have produced for me, those with high traffic from the turn of the century up through the 1960s, and re-hunt slowly and carefully. Once in a great while another little bit of silver will come a poppin' out for me.

Having said all that, I can't say what I wouldn't give for just a little virgin ground to hunt that had silvers in it. I think that's just about every detectorist's dream these days. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom