• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Effect of power lines, elec fences, etc.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
Two thoughts:

1. I was detecting with a guy who used an AT Max. I had a AT Pro. He was getting interference. We tried different frequencies to no avail. Turns out it was worse in one part of the field than the other. Probably was a nearby electric fence from a hobby farm. Not sure why I wasn't getting the problem.

2. Looking on maps for some new permissions. Farm fields. Noticed some giant electric utility transmission towers crossing the field. Are these type of transmission lines generally bad for detecting or can you detect around/near them without issues?

Any comments as they relate to the Garrett products especially would be greatly appreciated.

Two thoughts:

1. I was detecting with a guy who used an AT Max. I had a AT Pro. He was getting interference. We tried different frequencies to no avail. Turns out it was worse in one part of the field than the other. Probably was a nearby electric fence from a hobby farm. Not sure why I wasn't getting the problem.

2. Looking on maps for some new permissions. Farm fields. Noticed some giant electric utility transmission towers crossing the field. Are these type of transmission lines generally bad for detecting or can you detect around/near them without issues?

Any comments as they relate to the Garrett products especially would be greatly appreciated.

Those two detectors do work on slightly different frequencies. It's one of the reasons why they can claim the Max is slightly deeper. 13.6 kHz for the Max and 15 for the Pro. I'm surprised something was hitting hard on 13.6 and wasn't at least bleeding over to 15. Weirder things happen.

Like Toy Soldier said.....different frequencies might be the reason. I have both the Pro and the Max and last December I hunted a sports field with the Max and was getting some interference from telephone wires so I had to do a frequency shift to eliminate the problem. I had previously hunted the same spot with the AT Pro and got no interference at all.

Personal I would never take my detector under those lines.
Here’s why.
Years ago I was driving a 3/4 ton pickUp with 4 steel industrial cage baskets in the bed and on the interstate and I stopped under them to check my load and a Bad Mistake.
I walked around the truck and reached up and grabbed the wire mess of the basket to help pull me up on to the tail gate. Well I didn’t make it because it was electrically charged.
Bet I’m not doing that again. I’ve seen and have held a 4 foot fluorescent light under one and it lit up.
Doug

I try to stay away from cell towers and large high voltage lines. Bad electrical transformers can be a real pain and you don't know until you fire the machine up the extent of EMI in any given area. I think WIFI can cause it too though I am no expert on EMI. The Equinox in Park2 is very EMI susceptible. I never have had trouble with the Etrac being affected by EMI. I always carry two detectors with me just in case one wants to spaz out because of EMI.

You can can usally get a machine to calm down by doing multiple noise cancels and turning down the sensitivity until the machine gets stable. Turning down the sensitivity is the best option as long as the place you are hunting does not require maximum depth.

Interesting stuff, especially for Doug!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I hunt around the big high voltage ones at one of my favorite sites and find the higher the freq, the smoother the operation. Like Doug, I had a surprising encounter underneath a set of high voltage lines at a site once. The terrain of this field combined with a sudden drop downhill that the lines followed left a pretty low hang on one stretch of the lines, and as I approached under them with my detector, the metal arm cuff started charging my arm :yikes: Needless to say, there could still be a nice Va state button lying in that stretch.

I hunt around the big high voltage ones at one of my favorite sites and find the higher the freq, the smoother the operation. Like Doug, I had a surprising encounter underneath a set of high voltage lines at a site once. The terrain of this field combined with a sudden drop downhill that the lines followed left a pretty low hang on one stretch of the lines, and as I approached under them with my detector, the metal arm cuff started charging my arm :yikes: Needless to say, there could still be a nice Va state button lying in that stretch.

Thanks, glad to know someone else has had the experience.
When it happened to me remember the truck have rubber wheels and had 4 industries wire cages bins stacked up in the bed fork lift size and I was standing on the ground when I reached Up,and grabbed the wire basket to clime up on the tailgate. The whole truck was charged. Nope not doing that again. I would never take my detector under them.
Doug

Back
Top Bottom