CTX - Open Screen vs. Coin Program...what gives?

gordonquixote

Elite Member
Does hunting with a mostly open screen vs. a descriminating coin setting improve your silver coin finds in trash?

I prefer discrimination (slightly more open than the standard coin setting) and I usually select the ferrous-coin in trashy locations (I never use the high trash seting).

I use 50 tones but trash with silly numbers like 26-12 still give great high tones so I block them out. Am I potentialy missing stuff? Silver is never more than 2-4" deep nere in my experience (with the exception of one seated dime in soft sand).

I hunt almost exclusively with the 6" coil.

I'm not sure what the Gone Hunting settings are but it is a mostly open screen from what I understand....can anyone elaborate? I can't see one seeting being vastly superior to another but would be willing to try it out.

I've had the CTX for years now and I'm kinda in a groove with my coin settings but I do have a trashy spot that I would like to try a new setting on.

Using to much disc will cause you to miss targets with any machine.
I have never used 50 co but do use combined ferrous coin.

Seeing as though silver is my main focus I set my combined pattern to have only three tones with co 38 to 50 being my high tone. Co 1 to 37 mid tone.

I set my ferrous line at 22 and assign everything below that a very low tone of 75.

I generally run a wide open screen on pattern 1 and pattern two I will have the Fe line 35 disc out.

Open screen in trashy areas is my best bet. If you do have to disc out some use very little, nulling may prevent you from hearing something good. Go really slow and listen for those nice chirps. Small coil helps also the first time, then go back over with stock coil. Another trick is to lower your sensitivity and hit the shallow targets first, then increase it as go back over. I detected with sens as low as 6-8 before giving only about 2" depth depending on conditions. Cheers.

You don't need a FULLY open screen, but at least the bottom few lines should be disced out. Using the combined audio is so much more helpful when using such an open pattern.

The majority of your silver will hit close to the 12FE line, the problem is getting your coil directly over it to see that low FE number. When you are hunting silver in heavy trash, you need the open pattern so that you can get that tiny "peep" of a high tone so you can investigate further. Maybe it's an iron false, maybe it's a piece of silver hiding in the iron. If you are using factory level disc, you will miss a lot!

Actally IMO the CTX can find more coins vs Etrac with say a lot od disc dialed in. The ferrous #s usually come up moreso close to the 12 fe line with CTX vs Etrac. With that said ground mineralization is really what you have to watch. In warmer ground the deeper targets tend to get pulled down on the screen with higher ferrous numbers. One more thing to consider. A coin colocated with iron-the coins signal ferrous number again can get drug down on the screen.

Been trying different settings on my farm permission to learn new things with this CTX. I normally run an open screen. Combined mode. And as hot as she will let me. Might get manual up to 24 before she starts getting crazy. I have found most of the easier coins, including some coins with iron in the hole. I switch back and forth between the high trash program and this one and keep finding a coin here and there. In some spots with the open hot screen, it's a constant null no matter what the sensitivity is.

Rob,
What does your CTX track in auto sensitivity???? Sounds like your ground is hot. How deep were the coins you dug on average???? Anyone around you with a T-2/F-75 or Makro Racer. These babies can tell how hot your ground is.

Say Rob are you sure that you are running a wide open screen?
If you have not removed the disc.on Fe line 35 you will get nulls on small iron/nails.
The relic program is the only program that has a truly open pattern screen.

You most likely know this but thought I would ask.

QUOTE=DirtyRob;2352454]Been trying different settings on my farm permission to learn new things with this CTX. I normally run an open screen. Combined mode. And as hot as she will let me. Might get manual up to 24 before she starts getting crazy. I have found most of the easier coins, including some coins with iron in the hole. I switch back and forth between the high trash program and this one and keep finding a coin here and there. In some spots with the open hot screen, it's a constant null no matter what the sensitivity is.[/QUOTE]

Does hunting with a mostly open screen vs. a descriminating coin setting improve your silver coin finds in trash?

I prefer discrimination (slightly more open than the standard coin setting) and I usually select the ferrous-coin in trashy locations (I never use the high trash seting).

I use 50 tones but trash with silly numbers like 26-12 still give great high tones so I block them out. Am I potentialy missing stuff? Silver is never more than 2-4" deep nere in my experience (with the exception of one seated dime in soft sand).

I'm not sure what the Gone Hunting settings are but it is a mostly open screen from what I understand....can anyone elaborate? I can't see one seeting being vastly superior to another but would be willing to try it out.

I've had the CTX for years now and I'm kinda in a groove with my coin settings but I do have a trashy spot that I would like to try a new setting on.

Beach hunting you need to watch those around a26 15 to see what they do. One swing of the coil it may block out that 26 15 and the next swing you are off the target. Well a 26 15 can turn into a 12 13 real deep. Lots of deep nickels sometimes hit a 26 15. Some pull tabs too. When you investigate further and it goes into the 30's is one thing. But running open screen will get you what everyone running disc is missing. I learned that by asking the CTX guys here if they were running disc. When I went behind them with an open screen they missed all sorts of deep stuff:shock:

Rob,
What does your CTX track in auto sensitivity???? Sounds like your ground is hot. How deep were the coins you dug on average???? Anyone around you with a T-2/F-75 or Makro Racer. These babies can tell how hot your ground is.

Auto shows 15. I run in manual all the time. But I do go up and down just to see if anything changes.

Say Rob are you sure that you are running a wide open screen?
If you have not removed the disc.on Fe line 35 you will get nulls on small iron/nails.
The relic program is the only program that has a truly open pattern screen.

You most likely know this but thought I would ask.

QUOTE=DirtyRob;2352454]Been trying different settings on my farm permission to learn new things with this CTX. I normally run an open screen. Combined mode. And as hot as she will let me. Might get manual up to 24 before she starts getting crazy. I have found most of the easier coins, including some coins with iron in the hole. I switch back and forth between the high trash program and this one and keep finding a coin here and there. In some spots with the open hot screen, it's a constant null no matter what the sensitivity is.
[/QUOTE]

Nothing discriminated out...open screen.

Trying to recover from my surgery, I ran over to the farm. Doc said to try some exercise. Told me to get out of the house! Well I sniffed out a 1887 and 1889 green indian heads.:D

Your ground is pretty hot if 14 is as high as it will run. How deep were the IHs??

Auto shows 15 but I run in manual to 22-24 and then back to the 15. Today's coins were 9 inches and 5 inches. Iron all around.

My doctor told me to get out of the house and get some fresh air and exercise. Didn't last long. I know more coins are there.

If you had tone and correct ID on a 9" deep IH then your soil is not real harsh.

The harsh soil will generally only let you detect down to about 5-6 inches and then everything your coil comes over will show as iron. With all the iron sounds like a place if using the stock coil to creep around real slow and eek out the coins. Good luck at your site and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

If you had tone and correct ID on a 9" deep IH then your soil is not real harsh.

The harsh soil will generally only let you detect down to about 5-6 inches and then everything your coil comes over will show as iron. With all the iron sounds like a place if using the stock coil to creep around real slow and eek out the coins. Good luck at your site and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I didn't pay attention to the depth when I started to dig. I was going by tone more than anything. My guess is the 12-42 was something shallow and iron falsing. The pointer couldn't pinpoint in the plug but did in the hole so I had to dig some more.

Interesting info...thank you all.

The problem I have is that a deep rusty nail will make the sweetest 12-46 ever....practically know it is going to be silver...nope...rusty nail.

I'll give it a shot.

On the beach, I do try to run literally wide open if it'd not trashy and I do dig it all there.

I open My Disc. almost all the way up.. And here is the perfect example why, Yesterday I was hunting a old school and got a faint Deep signal that the numbers were all over the place, Both FE and Co but being that my disc was opened way up I got the high tone and it led me to investigate further. Now with a coin that small and deep I will bet dollars to doughnuts it would not have made a peep, Or at very minimum a much less chance of hearing it.

Also in high trash you might as well use a wooden stick for a detector if you have a closed program. It will be most nulled out unless it is a shallow signal

Often times When I get one of those deep faint signals I will switch over to the Coin pattern and run the coil over the target and you don't get the signal much at all. So just imagine if you are swinging, You are indeed lowering your chances. Will i dig more Of what I do not want, Sure, But I would rather not miss the good stuff

The moment you run too much Disc. you will start missing the deep stuff..

Hey I use open screen and have found the best settings for me in my soil. I use combined/ferrous coin settings and I moved the fe line to 19. Iron clearly grunts and silver with iron squeals through loud. Just try those settings in one of your hunted out spots and see what happens. I also set 44 and up to 1200mhz so I know when it may be silver down there. I set nickel tone to 800 and 32-43 at 950.

Interesting info...thank you all.

The problem I have is that a deep rusty nail will make the sweetest 12-46 ever....practically know it is going to be silver...nope...rusty nail.

I'll give it a shot.

On the beach, I do try to run literally wide open if it'd not trashy and I do dig it all there.

If the target pinpoints in a different location then where you picked it up swinging it is iron.

Back
Top Bottom