Nice variety of coin finds tonight

Toasted

Elite Member
Pulled some deep keepers from a pounded former school field. Wheats, Buffalo and three firsts from this site. V nickel, Indian spill, and cut up SLQ. Went to the Seated field next and got a textbook silver quarter signal but alas just a Washington:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 314
Nice finds! That SLQ is kind of strange. When I see these "newer" coins, not coppers or eights, cut like that I'm always thinking, "What were these people thinking?" Edges look kind of sharp still so I wouldn't think a pendent plus no hole. Again, nice finds. Congrats!

Nice finds! That SLQ is kind of strange. When I see these "newer" coins, not coppers or eights, cut like that I'm always thinking, "What were these people thinking?" Edges look kind of sharp still so I wouldn't think a pendent plus no hole. Again, nice finds. Congrats!

Thanks. Yeah, your guess is as good as mine. Cut up reales are awesome. This makes no sense

That clipped SLQ is awesome. Nice find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to think not a mower. Cuts are too clean and what are the chances a mower would cut it so that it is nearly centered

I would concur...Back in the 70's I was reading the Foxfire series and I remember a segment about a gunsmith named Hershel House. He built flintlocks...beautiful! Anyway, he would make the front sight out of a silver dime....he would clip and solder it....Anyway, I dont know why I remember this, especially after all these years, but I suspect that Stander you found was used in a similar fashion, to make some sort of jewelry or inlay or something...

Somebody cut it with a nice long shear and not just sidecutters or tinsnips or it would be deformed a bit and not exhibiting that kind of edge....So besides from its perfect symmetry, this evidence casts doubts on a random mower strike,.. It had to be made on a tool that a metalworker would have and not just a general person dinking around..

Then, since you found it in a schoolyard, I would further premise that some kid got that from his Grandpa who was the original clipper..It sure would be neat to backtrack the historical archives around that school, to see if there was indeed a gunsmith or jewelry maker living in the immediate area? Now wouldnt THAT be something! To trace it back to the source?

Nice and interesting score there Toasted! You find a lot of cool stuff that we all love to see, but this one here is really unique! Bravo!

Last edited:
It may have been cut to make a guitar pick. I found an actual silver guitar pick in my yard and when I Googled it to try and date it, I found lots of images of picks made from silver coins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It may have been cut to make a guitar pick. I found an actual silver guitar pick in my yard and when I Googled it to try and date it, I found lots of images of picks made from silver coins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

What a great idea. You may just be right !

Nice finds I used to cut up coins when I was a kid to see how different shapes would fly from my slingshot

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Awesome finds!

I love to make up the back story in my head as to how finds end up the way they are, and where they are. With a group like that, you got some splainin to do Lucy!

Good digs

Pawaide

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom