Razor Edge Gator Digger Mod...

rich_1833

I got the Razor Edge Gator Digger when I bought my pinpointer. I took it out today and I'm less then impressed with it. It doesn't dig as good as my cheap fiskars. The finish started coming off already and the grip came loose. After I got home I took a closer look at it and I seen there isn't much of a point and whats there is off-center. The handle is off-center also. So I went and took the rest of the coating off. I thought about rusting, so I forced a pitina on the whole thing. I think it turned out O.K. but I'm not done yet I plan to have it sharped. I might add a darker patina also. After I have it sharped I hope it cuts a hole better.

What it looked like after 1 use.

Removing the coating

All stripped down

Forcing

Finished (for now)

I went ahead and added another layer of mustard and let it sit for about 2hrs. It came out nice and dark. I did not like the grip from the start so I went to wally world and got these $7.00 bike grips. I went ahead and sharped it all up. I have not got to try it out yet but I don't think I can make it any better then this.

The handle design is poor. It should have the tube end sealed like the Lesche and Predator. If you are pushing down on the end of the shaft and it cuts through the grip you will have a big hurt. Sort of like a cookie cutter for your hand.

They may work but the welds are sad.

The handle design is poor. It should have the tube end sealed like the Lesche and Predator. If you are pushing down on the end of the shaft and it cuts through the grip you will have a big hurt. Sort of like a cookie cutter for your hand.

They may work but the welds are sad.

Maybe the plug for a bike handlebar would fit under the grip. You might have to do a little sanding.

Thats onr reason I got these hand grips is that the gray part is a harder rubber/plastic. It might work it might not. Time will tell.

Fill the handle hole with paper towel. Pack it VERY tight. Next wrap duct tape around the outside of the handle about a 1/2" past the top. Next get some JB weld and fill the end of the handle. After it has hardened sand or grind it to a nice tappered edge. Put original grip back on using Gorila glue and you shouldnt have any problems with it.

I got the same digger in a package deal!

It is REALLY dull!:( I think I'll use my belt sander to bevel a new edge on it,the edge is pretty blunt. Not much of a angle at all. What did you use to strip the black paint off? Ron

What did you use to strip the black paint off? Ron
I used paint remover. It had to sit fot 30-45 min's then came right off.

After doing all this to this digger I'm still very unsatisfied with it. The gator is just not that good for me. I like to cut three sided plug like this [_]. The gator seems to stink at that. I tried cutting C shape it worked alittle better but its still not as good as the cheap fiskars. I really think this is do to such a thick blade after removing the coating it comes in at 3.2mm or .12inches thick. I didnt get a reading with the coating on.

Still hard to beat the Fiskars digger at $8. I just take my Dremel with the mower blade sharpener attachment and put an edge on the Fiskars every so often and it cuts plugs like pie. Best part is that it is so lightweight. I have been using the same one for 3 yrs now with no problems.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom