Garrett ProPointer Problem?

ScaredOfClowns

Elite Member
I've had my Garrett ProPointer for about six weeks and I've been pleased with it - it really saves a lot of time locating finds.

During my last two hunts I noticed something weird: it will beep/vibrate if I put even moderate pressure on the tip of the pointer, even if no metal is present.

This cost me some time looking for the phantom hits before I realized what was going on. Afterwards I tried to be careful to just use the side of the pointer, but it's not an ideal solution.

I've tried to be careful with the pointer - it stays in the sheath when I'm not using it. Apart from some dirt, it hasn't really had any abuse.

Has anyone else experienced this? The ProPointer seems to have a 12-month warranty - I'm thinking maybe I should get it fixed/replaced.

I've had my Garrett ProPointer for about six weeks and I've been pleased with it - it really saves a lot of time locating finds.

During my last two hunts I noticed something weird: it will beep/vibrate if I put even moderate pressure on the tip of the pointer, even if no metal is present.

This cost me some time looking for the phantom hits before I realized what was going on. Afterwards I tried to be careful to just use the side of the pointer, but it's not an ideal solution.

I've tried to be careful with the pointer - it stays in the sheath when I'm not using it. Apart from some dirt, it hasn't really had any abuse.

Has anyone else experienced this? The ProPointer seems to have a 12-month warranty - I'm thinking maybe I should get it fixed/replaced.

I have one that is about 4 weeks old and have noticed similar things with it. I have found that by simply turning it off and then on the problem goes away. Also, try changing the battery. The first battery I had in there was a cheap one which didn't last long at all. When it started to die these symptoms were intensified. Since switching to an energizer the problems have all but gone away. Occasionally, the symptoms re appear and a simple power cycle fixes it. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Its a great PP except when it has issues. And therein lies the problem. I still use it and marvel at how good it is. But........like others have posted, it is sometimes beset by problems that make you wanna scream!:mad:

sometimes a battery issue can cause that. that little piece of foam rubber in the battery cover gets compressed and you might not be getting the best connection anymore. if a new battery doesn't solve your problem, try adding a thin little filler in the battery compartment to help improve your connection.
it's easy to do, might/might not work, but is worth a try before sending it away.
and other than lightly scraping the tip around the dirt, i don't put any real pressure on mine.

Pete

For the price, and the hype, you should send it in, if you aren't completely thrill with it from the start. Mine cost me almost as much as my first detector. You pay the premium, for the best, professional QUALITY tool, you shouldn't settle for anything less than what you paid for.

Haven't really experience any problems afresh battery, or cycling the power didn't solve. I does do sort of a random beeping thing, if it's on, and unused for a while. Not sure if it's a function or fault. Doesn't seem to like being left in the heat much either, but same for a lot of things.

mine had the same exact problem, also would not stopped beeping if I hold it up in the air. I send mine back for repair, free of charge . Called Garrett tech support at 1-800-527-4011 or 1-972-494-6151 (not sure which number is the Garrett tech support, might be both numbers). Only problem is that mine still does it, not as bad though, I need to call them back---but after reading this post maybe I only need to change the battery this time (do remember changing the battery several times before sending it back the first time).

Sometimes mine does the beeping thing even when i take it away from the hole but a quick switch off and back on and its fine, i have had the odd beep when i put preasure on the tip but not often thankfully as i need that point working as i sometimes had to push into the 'flap' to find the coins etc.

Still this thing working 95% of the time is better then one that doesnt do much but make you mad at it 100% of the time

Just sent both of mine in 2 weeks ago, both were doing the same thing....they told told me the coil was bad in both units and fixed em both, just got them back wed afternoon, used it today and it works like new

Same thing here. I cleaned mine (made sure to put my finger over the hole) like it says in the manual and it wasn't the same after that. Beeping all the time

Sent it in..

Mine did something similar, I changed the battery and haven't had a problem since.
I also put a bit of foam in the screw cap to help hold the battery in place.

Mine does that if I press real hard into the soil, so I dont push it, also ive dropped mine not once but twice onto my kitchen floor(very hard surface) now the beeping isnt so high , more like a buzz, but it still works fine.

sometimes a battery issue can cause that. that little piece of foam rubber in the battery cover gets compressed and you might not be getting the best connection anymore. if a new battery doesn't solve your problem, try adding a thin little filler in the battery compartment to help improve your connection.
it's easy to do, might/might not work, but is worth a try before sending it away.
and other than lightly scraping the tip around the dirt, i don't put any real pressure on mine.

Pete

:grin:

I know dirtyrob had some problems with a few. I'd deffinately send it in while you can. I haven't had any problems with mine but like you I take very good care of all my equipment, even my shovels. Good luck with your outcome. They are a definate help and a must for the hobby. I was using the free one that came with a kellyco purchase and it was pretty much junk. When I got the propointer I was so amazed on how quickly it speeds up a find and using it by itself for tot lots was amazing. They are a great resource.

Pete

For the money you paid for it you shouldn't have to rig it. I'd just send it in and only resort to rigging when all other options have been explored and it's the cheapest fix.

Mine was doing that today...the slightest of pressure was causing it to beep.

I talked softly to her, the propointer, and she didn't bother me the rest of the hunt. Just had to be gentile!

I must be hard on them. I'm on #3 in less than 2 years!

Repair

Less than 2 weeks ago I took mine in to the Garrett factory, I got there at 9:50 am and they took it repaired it and gave it back to me at 10:40am. mine was only a few months old and was always problematic from when I first got it new! It works great now but it was deeper before it was fixed. They say sent in they have a 10 day turn around. GL & HH Pat

WOW I need pinpointer bad but after reading all this I think I may do little more research before I purchase. Reliability means a lot to me.

Back
Top Bottom