Crossing Border With Dug Coins ?

I'm hoping to do a bit of digging across Our northern border in Canada.
Do any of You know of any issues I may face coming back into ND with dug "treasures" ?

The things they are concerned about at the border crossing, would be drugs, or fruits containing pests, etc... Right ? Or if we're talking about the border with Mexico, I suppose illegal immigrants, drug-smuggling, and so forth. Something tells me a few grubby coins is the least of their concerns.

Or ... were you having something like "bars of gold taken from an illegal off-limits site" in mind ?

There might be some European countries with some concern Those with super strict cultural heritage issues, like the near east countries that perhaps have some sort of antiquities issues (Greece, Egypt, or ...?) But something tells me that Mexico and Canada are not of that caliber. I've gone through the borders at both, and they just wave you right through.

One time at the Mexican border, my truck got singled out for further inspection. The dogs were brought in, mirrors on poles looking underneath, etc... But they were just looking for drugs . No one riffled through my suit case looking at dates on coins or anything.

If you bring back more than $10,000 you have to declare it. Silver and gold coins are counted at melt value. That's 10,000 per vehicle not person and it includes cash, coins,money orders, cashier checks, travelers checks,silver and gold. They also include "anything that can be readily converted to cash".There is no penalty for bringing in more than that, just for not reporting it.
The first time I drove a semi into Canada I made sure to have the dogs shot record and health certificate. At the border the only question they asked was "What's your dogs name". They spent a few minute petting my dog and told me to enjoy my trip Ya Hey.

If you bring back more than $10,000 you have to declare it. ....

Well gee, don't most of us WISH that was our "problem" when returning from an md'ing excursion across the border, eh ? haha

Ok penny-ata-time. Just keep the finds values under $9,999.99 and you're good. Post pix ! :cool:

They are concerned with taxable items, cigarettes, liquors, jewelry and such.
Of course illegal drugs and as mentioned a little too much currency among other things.
A few dirty coins probably won't matter to them.

Once we were coming from a trip to Toronto back to Detroit and we were stopped at the border where they confiscated and destroyed most of the carton of cigarettes my friend had purchased that was tax-free as we went over the border on our way into that country.
My friend had a relative in Canada and we had also picked up some homemade wine and homemade jam on the way back.
They looked at both of these closely, and when I explained to him that was homemade wine and jam the border patrol agent looked at me and said I know what the wine is for what do you do with the jam?
I said it is for putting on toast.
He didn't laugh, those guys never laugh.

Back
Top Bottom