• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New CTX 3030 Issue

Finnerman

Elite Member
I have really enjoyed the CTX 3030 but it has not been as robust as one would hope for a $2500 machine. I have now had to send it in for a third time. First the battery went kaput, and was replaced. Then I began getting the "coil not detected error", sent it in, and the coil was replaced. Now the screen has developed these brown marks on each side, it looks as if something behind it is heating up and burning out the screen. The backlight does not appear to work in the areas that have turned brown. I hope that this is just a case of "First batch trouble". But have read a lot of threads about quality issues with ML. I still like the machine but must say that all this warranty work is getting annoying.

Attachments

• ASH_0176.jpg
    ASH_0176.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,408
  • ASH_0177.jpg
    ASH_0177.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1,436
I remember when these first came out. I wished I could afford one and felt like I was missing something.

Seeing all of these posts about the 3030 and the AT Pro issues reminds me that my lil F2 works great, and I haven't had to send it in for repair 2-3 times!

Won't see me spending thousands of dollars on a ctx3030 so I can let it be in for repairs for weeks out of the year!!!

To the OP...Hope you get the issue fixed once and for all.

I don't care how good it is for a couple hours...It won't find a thing while it is being mailed/shipped around for a week or so at a time... How much time could you not use it to hunt added up for the 3 issues??

Sheesh...

<*)))>{

Might be a good thing that your getting the problems now then it waiting to !!!! out after the warranty expires.. Good luck & hope this will be the last of your troubles..

My USB port flooded earlier this week. My handle devolpes stress cracks and had to be sent in for repair. The CTX is really a flimsy detector compared to the Etrac in my opinion.

I was also pondering one,but every single day a user has to send one in or has sent one in multiple times. Leaks,cracks, bad service, now burnt screens. For the barrel of cash, where went the quality and customer service? Thats ALOT of money. The box shows the unit swimming like the nautilus carefree in the water and ready for some serous water hunting. What happens? The song of the Titantic!!! Reputable reviews have placed it working no better side by side than other much less costly top of the line models. Imin no means bashing the detector and would still love to own one if these bugs get truly worked out and minelab takes a hint on some better service for the folks that shell out the money they are asking The Umax Kid.:(:roll::wow:

Shoot dudesters thats a PS4 and twenty games plus enough popcorn for the whole neighborhood. A cool full back tattoo of lady ga ga wearing the meat suit.:cool::laughing::wow:

To me it appears the screen is showing signs moisture is getting in. In humid climates a small spot on a detector supposedly waterproof that lets humidity in could get trapped. Whereas a non waterproof one could easily let it evaporate. Doesn't have to be submerged for moisture to cause problems. Be better if they just gave you another machine. Doubt that will happen:no:

To me it appears the screen is showing signs moisture is getting in. In humid climates a small spot on a detector supposedly waterproof that lets humidity in could get trapped. Whereas a non waterproof one could easily let it evaporate. Doesn't have to be submerged for moisture to cause problems. Be better if they just gave you another machine. Doubt that will happen:no:

Not to change the subject but this is what moisture looked like under my atpro screen, what he has looks more like the liquid display is leaking out fluids or something... But then again who knows...

Attachments

• atpro....jpg
    atpro....jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,167
I hear you guys on waiting. I have said many times that most of the finds I have made would have been made by most any good detector. It has been a very fun detector and the service dept. has been friendly and acceptably quick. Luckily (or unluckily) I am out of business for a while with a bum finger (see my "wear your gloves" thread. The battery issue did not slow me down as I only had to send in the battery and the charger and there is a AA battery pack that can be used as a back up. The coil repair/replacement took about a week and I was ultra busy with work at the time.

I am looking to buy a Fisher CZ something as a back up.

I still like the machine and feel it was worth it for me. I had a killer year for a beginner with over 100 silvers and a nice bit of gold. But, I think there are plenty of other machines that could work just as well.

Not to change the subject but this is what moisture looked like under my atpro screen, what he has looks more like the liquid display is leaking out fluids or something... But then again who knows...

I had the same w my atp called Garrett they sent me a new decal fixed in 5 mins !

I was almost talked into a 3030 but bought a LNIB Etrac instead. No regrets..changed my whole outlook on MD'ing.

No, not really and, though it may be bold to say so, shouldn't detectors be made with that possibility in mind? I doubt that anyone drives directly from their home to their hunting spot and back again. Detectors get left in vehicles.

It appears more to be something behind the screen heating or affecting those 2 areas. I have watched the areas grow and change over the past few weeks, and they seem to get worse every time I use the detector. Sometimes the brown spots are very condensed and round with a harder edge and other times they look like the pictures with soft edges.

I have really enjoyed the CTX 3030 but it has not been as robust as one would hope for a $2500 machine. I have now had to send it in for a third time. First the battery went kaput, and was replaced. Then I began getting the "coil not detected error", sent it in, and the coil was replaced. Now the screen has developed these brown marks on each side, it looks as if something behind it is heating up and burning out the screen. The backlight does not appear to work in the areas that have turned brown. I hope that this is just a case of "First batch trouble". But have read a lot of threads about quality issues with ML. I still like the machine but must say that all this warranty work is getting annoying.

Send me a email me from my site. I have some good news for you! ;)

Not to be a CTX basher but I think a lot of people noticed problems with the handle configuration and battery design right away...

Hopefully they give you a new unit, that's just to much.

Back
Top Bottom