D'oh!

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Thought I had a keeper last night. Quick hunt at an old house that has def been hit before. I didn't hit a single target shallower than 8" at this place and targets were scarce with no trash at all which was nice. All the wheats were pre 1930. I thought for sure the ring was legit until I got it home and washed it off to see that dreaded GF stamp :mad: Oh well, still a decent one for my display.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 507
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 509
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 517
Nice finds!

And I'd venture that the ring had to have been in the ground a Lonnnnng time, if indeed it was at 8 inches as you said. So it may be pretty old.

And I'd venture that the ring had to have been in the ground a Lonnnnng time, if indeed it was at 8 inches as you said. So it may be pretty old.

Any idea how to date rings? How long have GF stamped rings been around?

EDIT: Did a little research and learned it's been around for about 150yrs but that typically GF or plated stuff will lose it's coating after 20-30yrs in most instances.

Odd that the ring I found is very much still plated with flaking only on part of it. It actually had me fooled until I cleaned it up. How the heck does something plated stay in such great shape after being so deep? It had to be in the ground for a long time to get that deep.

Check out the other markings on the ring. It may be worth something. Possibly worth more than a gold ring from a different maker. :grin:

Instead of it being hit before you it could have had a lawn renovation where they trucked in soil... I ran across that happening to a 1700's customers home... everything was super deep. I have a whole bag of GF and rolled gold finds.. you need about 5 pounds of it to make it worth it to a refiner before they will take it off your hands.

GF stands for GirlFriend. Give it to her and tell her it's real. All the benefits with none of the costs. :laughing:

Lol solid. She already has platinum on her finger and helps with my coin business so she knows the real deal. Haha

Back
Top Bottom