What's Your Choice for Best MT Under $500?

Erik

Hey gang...

I need new equipment and can spend up to $500. What would you suggest? I'm mostly interested in coin shooting and jewelry. Relics are fun, too. :grin:

I'd like something that ID's the find, and shows depth. I won't be using it near water.

I've seen http://metaldetectorreviews.net/, but I've never seen any site that actually COMPARES MT's... like a Consumer Reports, for example. Does something like this exist?

I admit to being a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. What about the Whites Prizm II... or Garrett Ace 250? Are they really the best choices for this price range?

One thing I don't want to do is get back into the hobby (after many years) and buy equipment that limits my success or frustrates the heck out of me! :mad:

You guys are far wiser than I. What are your top 3 MT picks in the $500 or less price range, with #1 being your top pick... and why.

Thank you very much! :)
Erik

I am sure that kellyco will let you compare MD's that you are interested in buying. Here is a link for you Compare This way you can pull up what you want and price, then you can make a choice on what you want and then go from there. I think that Detector has it right, Used is a way to go, sometimes you can even still get a warranty with it, depends on how old it is. But sometimes the warranty does not transfer, so pay attention. Good luck on your search.

Detector is right. A used DFX for $500 would be a steal. As far as new goes, look at the Minelab X-Terra's. Might be able to get a deal with all needed accessories for $500.

Used Whites DFX
X-Terra 305 or 505
Tesoro DeLeon

All 3 machines are very different but all very capable.

Good luck!

Here's my take on it according to what you wrote.

If you want the best ID meter today than you're looking at a Whites. The MXT is the best all-round Whites made today but it's a bit on the heavy side and there is a learning curve. The DFX is also a great machine but is even more complex but learnable.

To cut to the chase, if a meter is important than it's Whites all the way because they're the leaders in this area.

Minelab and Tesoro have a long way to go in my opinion.

I don't know much about Garretts so I leave that for others.

But I'll add this; a higher grade used machine is better than a new low grade machine.

Badger

I tried finding a MXt for 350 but I never won any bids, they were going from 495-650, DFX's 550-950, XLT's about the same as MXT.Spectra V3 about new price 1250-1400, Spectrum about 450-550 or something like that.

I gave up and bought 2 coils for my Whites Classic 5 ID from kellyco. I probably should of bought a Teknetics 4000 instead.

I have a Whites Prizm II and I like it, not love it. It detects fine, ID's fine, nice machine, but for the money you would spend for it, you could get a nicer machine, and the BIG thing that I hate about the Prizm II is that it doesnt have a depth meter, and the Ace 250 is about the same price and has a depth meter. I still regret to this day that I bought it for that simple fact.

yeah I kinda regret buying my Classic 5 ID, but did get a couple coils for it, maybe i will like it more. At keuka lake I always seem to find alot of pulltabs, maybe this 4x6 coil will help with that. It is also waterproof(the coils) so I just take it to the lake and also wade with it. I guess i should get a water scoop now.

I would love to go diving and looking for rings and stuff right off the swimming docks.

I am sure that kellyco will let you compare MD's that you are interested in buying. This way you can pull up what you want and price, then you can make a choice on what you want and then go from there.

The big problem here is that this chart compares only detectors sold by Kellyco.

Hence, no Tesoro detectors.

It's like Consumer Reports rating cars but leaving the Ford or Chevrolet out, as if they didn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom