Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 AM
Elite Member

Default RNB ML-3100 stopped working

Running my EX2 today for 2 hours and shut off for a break. Would not turn machine on again,nothing. Got home and tested with alkalines in backup holder,machine is fine.Charged battery fully last night. Owned the battery 2.5 years but sits a lot,though fully charged. Probably has 2 full charges of use on it. I have not put a meter on it yet,as the meter is at work and Iím not. Putting on the charger results in green light immediately. Checked,wiggled,reinstalled,cleaned contacts,springs are straight and clean in machine.
Anyone have any ideas while I wait on a reply from RNB? I LOVE this battery and hope Iím overlooking something.
Thanks...

Old 10-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Elite Member

I have 3 of them and have no problem. When you get your meter check the battery at it's own terminals not at the point of the nine volt battery connector. I've had problems with a short in the thin nine volt battery connector wires in another battery set up. Sometimes those thin wires can't take too many charges with salt water/air exposure.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ROBOTCOP13 View post
I have 3 of them and have no problem. When you get your meter check the battery at it's own terminals not at the point of the nine volt battery connector. I've had problems with a short in the thin nine volt battery connector wires in another battery set up. Sometimes those thin wires can't take too many charges with salt water/air exposure.
Thanks Robot. I took it to work and tested with my DVOM...12.13 volts. Hereís the weird part...took it home,put it in the machine and it fired right up. Huh? Is there a logic chip in the battery that somehow didnít recognize a request for voltage? Iíve run the machine several times after that...no issue whatsoever. Could hooking the meter to it cause it to ďwake upĒ? Joe at RNB didnít have a clue,he was as baffled as I was. I was very worried at first,I thought my Explorer croaked. Then I was worried that the battery had croaked! It is without a doubt one of the 2 best things Iíve ever gotten for a detector,it is downright awesome!
Thanks for the thoughts,Iíll post back if anything else occurs.

Kevin