Long hunt Eqx 800 6”coil compared to Makro Kruzer 7” concentric coil.

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I spent around 6 hours today with a fellow detectorist in a site with both old and modern history. Area littered with modern trash galore and some iron.

Every target located with each detector was compared using other detector.

Both Detectors did well.

I ran the Nox, other gent ran the Kruzer (Not multi Kruzer) .

Soil in this site milder for my area. Three bars on Fisher F75.

No targets found over 6”deep.

Kruzer alerted on all nonferous targets located with Nox but 2. Both were beaver tails.

Kruzer pointed out 2 targets as no dig me’s the Nox called dig me’s. One target a rusty nail the other a thin piece of tin something.

Each person ran their own detectors, eqxh target was discussed openly verbally before digging on what each of us thought about each target.

I was impressed with Makro Kruzer performance. As impressed with it as I was with Equinox performance.

Nothing old found really. And strangely enough only one nickel (initially located with Nox).

After the 6 hours of comparing while detecting, my hunting bud broke out his quest 20 detector.
We compared a few signals with him using it and me the Nox.
Quest seemed to do the job in this site.
Actually it found best find of the day. A religious cross made of higher conductive material.
This is one of a few targets that actually wasn't compared to Equinox.

Most coins found were clad dimes.

It was very apparent after targets were dug why many still existed in this site. Site has seen loads of detecting action in the past.
The nickel located was actually being masked by a clad quarter and a pull ring with beaver tail stilll attached.
And the clad quarter here was actually being masked by the nickel.
When I say masked here, I am referring to location of other nonferrous highly likely caused the coins ID when swept previously with bigger coil to be in error hence these coins were walked right by.

I really enjoyed the day. Was tired when we quit.

Btw, it is Oct here. But if you look at the trees you would think it is later Aug. I have never seen anything like this. Green as a gourd here and with more hot days coming . Farm fields with hay cut just a few weeks days ago are growing back fast. This may cause problem for me later on for detecting.

Last edited:
It was indeed a great day to compare signals from different units, with different type coils. I thoroughly enjoyed the hunt.

It was the first time I was able to run the 7" concentric on the Kruzer and I can see why some run only that coil in trashy spots. I will have to train on analyzing targets more with it.

I was more than impressed seeing the Nox being used with the 6". I thought the Tesoros I used in the past were "feathers!" The Nox, one could swing all day, 7 days a week and then some. Really a pleasure to swing. Talk about deadly in modern trash. Being able to cross-reference quickly it was difficult to fool the Nox. Only a couple targets in a whole day, that a slightly larger concentric had any advantage. There seems to be something indeed with Minelab's offering!

Just for giggles, we got out the Quest Q20. I was curious to get the unit when I did, as a backup "park" unit. It's recovery speed, 5x8 coil, lightweight, and ergonomics are not bad for a $259 unit. It's not a deep unit but for about 7"-8" max depth it's really accurate. Those flattened screw caps did look like coins but I left knowing the VID fluctuated 3-4 points more than if a clean coin signal. I still think it's a fun, fast, fairly accurate unit that pushes the boundaries of "starter units."

Some things are better discovered in comparison to other units, with other detectorists. This was one of those days and I learned a lot as well.

Tnsharpshooter,how does that 6 inch coil on the equinox punch through the ground? I mean,would you expect 6 inches max depth or would it go a little more? I know the stock coil seems to seperate good for a 11 inch coil,but Somtimes it’s to big to get in tight areas,curbstrip and places like that.

Tnsharpshooter,how does that 6 inch coil on the equinox punch through the ground? I mean,would you expect 6 inches max depth or would it go a little more? I know the stock coil seems to seperate good for a 11 inch coil,but Somtimes it’s to big to get in tight areas,curbstrip and places like that.

When set up right speed wise, For a 6”coil one of the deepest out there.
Mild and worse ground for higher mineralization.

Back
Top Bottom