wierd 1924 wheat error?

Kickindirt

Elite Member
Found this looking at my old wheats! Anyone know what kinda error this is or if its rare? Price?

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

I did not hit this with my digger ha ha! :feedback:

It's called a lamination peel. The alloy of the planchant wasn't up to chemistry. I thought maybe "struck through" at first. But you can see at the top where it finally broke free. It basically peeled a layer off.

Try googling "lamination and lamination peel".

Try ebay, too, for other examples.

Lots of collectors for these. Can't put a price but you have a decent early date.

Shoot, i'd trade you something for it!:shock:

Nice find!

Now that I am home....I am leaning on a possible "struck-through".

Something got on the coin before it was minted...got smashed into the coin.

I've found a few.

I think the rim gives it away.

I'll email a pic to a pro.

Update when I get it.

possibly a struck through... but then the question would be through what.. maybe a small woodchip? i've seen wheats struck though wire and cloth so...... yeah that's my guess

Ya I showed the coin guy here the pics,couldn't show him the real coin cause my baby girl was sleepin in my bed room, he ruined all my hope, said that he sees that type of stuff all the time, that somebody did that to the coin.:tissue::tissue::tissue: Dang

Dear Kickindirt I showed my Dad the picture of the coin and he said that this had to be a errror because when that much prssure is aplied to the coin after it is out of the mold it would show on the penny the oposite side would be pushed out a little so the coin had to be in the press and a small chip for something got put in there when the coin was being stamped to result in this error and my Dad have been a tool and die tool maker for 30 years so he is very exsperienced in this type of making process

Dear Kickindirt I showed my Dad the picture of the coin and he said that this had to be a errror because when that much prssure is aplied to the coin after it is out of the mold it would show on the penny the oposite side would be pushed out a little so the coin had to be in the press and a small chip for something got put in there when the coin was being stamped to result in this error and my Dad have been a tool and die tool maker for 30 years so he is very exsperienced in this type of making process

Really well thank u, I kinda feel the same way, the way it formed looks to me like it was molded that way, the pics don't do it justace ill have to get it looked at by a pro to know for sure thx everyone for ur help. All the people on this forum r great!

Back
Top Bottom